Quantcast

help with practicing race courses

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i just finshed a race on my home ground and came out of it thinking that i could have prepared for it better. how many runs does it normally take to get really ready for the race? and how do you go about it? tell me what you do..

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Have fun. Screw getting all serious about it, just jump some jumps, smash some corners and huck some stuff to flat. The more fun you have:
a) the more worthwhile the race was
b) the more you enjoy riding
c) the faster you go anyway

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Just find the area's where you think you'll have trouble at, take a good look at your best line and just go for it during the race, it's fun stuff.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I alwasy on my first practice run just go straight through it without stopping, unless there is a big section and i need to. The second or so I ussually stop and check my some lines, and see how they could have worked better than my last run. I just do however it is natural and just change a few things. I tend to take way to many practice runs though and tire myself out.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
here is where a problem comes up, of the 7 races this year in malaysia, only one race had transport for riders. and that was only for race day.
over here with the humidity and the temperatures, the most runs you can do on a average course is 3, but most of the time 2 is the max so you can come back the next day quite fresh. so the amount of practice runs comes down to how many days in advance you go there unless its home ground. so basicly, how many runs do you guys do so that you would be happy that you are fully prepared for the race?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Depends on the track, and how easy it is to remember how it goes. Some tracks are broken up into really distinctive sections and you can pretty much remember the whole lot after 1 or 2 runs, but then some tracks need dozens of runs before you can memorise it.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
watch the pros... you can learn a lot from their lines.

i do as many practice runs as i can without getting tired, there's no magical number as it depends on how in shape you are. if you can only ride a few runs, try to walk the course and memorize it as much as possible.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
another probelm, there are no pros here, just national riders. but then again i am less than 10 secs off their time every race, and have beaten one of their times already.
most tracks i am able to memorise in about two runs, but what i worry about is i dont have enought runs to push harder each run untill i reach my limit.
if it helps, most track here are between 1km to 3km. and no race track really poses a huge challenge technically coz the tracks that i ride around here are much more technical. :help:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Try just sectioning the track - do a short section, then walk back up and do that section again and again till you've got it dialled. Much easier than pushing full runs, and it means that you can start pushing yourself on each bit of the track separately.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Ride your ass off the day of just practice check lines ride it faster and faster as you learn the trail and try to see what your max speed is. Day of just take 2-4 runs depending on how long it is between practice and ur race run. Fuel up using some GU and water and ur set.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Most good racers do everything consistently...they practice a certain course a few ways, figure out the best lines for their riding style, and then take it the same way each time. They know what's coming up and are prepared for it; their lines are designed to as much set them up for the next bit as well as get them through an individual section swiftly. They go for accuracy and repeatability.

That's why I don't race.

I'd recommend walking the course and thinking about it before you actually ride it.

MD

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
I find that training it is great but also drawing or video of the course will help the night before you want to memorize courses you dont want to confuse sections.

I personally have practiced this for year and now have th eability to run people through the course verbally after about one run telling lines for diffrent speed. If you can build this ability to know each line on each section and have the course in order in your head and can go mentally throught it in real time{most people can mentall fly throught course in 30sec}.

How many runs ,sections are a good idea but you also have to build a continues line down the hill not a section line flow is key learn a section by sectioning it then once you have traveled the whole hill and feel comfortable in each section and are confident in doing them do full runs to develope your line.

Master of the world