Quantcast

help with rear shock

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
hi Im a noob in the bike world and bought a giant dh bike a while ago, thought it would be cool realized I need a motor and did nothing with it.

My question is I sent the bike to my cuzin in co to try and sell never worked out and now he shipped it back to me. I got it all back together and something is wrong with the rear shock.

if I cycle through the rear shock stroke a few times its ok but on the fourth or 5th stroke the shock will stay at the bottom of the stroke. almost like the rebound is unbelievably slow. any help is greatly appreciated!

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
I will look today! Im pretty sure it was the shock that came on the bike....

"needs moar fluid resistance disks!"

so what is fluid resistance discs? sorry im new to this bike thing.. can i replace them? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so maybe I could handle it......

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
make sure that the shock has air in it. there is a schrader valve that is used in conjunction with a shock pump.
I didn't think it was an air shock, it has a reservoir above the shock, I just assumed is was nitrogen charged? I'll check it out when I get home today

thanks

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Most shocks are air assist and some have a factory nitrogen charge to them. If it has a schrader valve as Ih8rice pointed out use a shock pump (low volume high pressure any bike shop will have one) to assure that the air pressure is at the minimum recommended setting (usually at >75PSI)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I dont think the Swinger is nitrogen filled and even it was , it doesnt sound like that would be your problem here...

First guess is that you now have oil&/air trapped where it shouldnt be and would need a rebuild..

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
I dont think the Swinger is nitrogen filled and even it was , it doesnt sound like that would be your problem here...

First guess is that you now have oil&/air trapped where it shouldnt be and would need a rebuild..
does anyone have a guesstimation on what it would cost to rebuild. would it make more sense to just put a new/different shock in?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Depending on what size you need a new Swinger can be had for around $100 here otherwise search the classifieds and ebay for the size that you need if you want to go with something different. Depends on how much you want to spend really but having it rebuilt isn't really worth it IMO unless you can find someone to tune it for you as well when it is being rebuilt.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I didn't think it was an air shock, it has a reservoir above the shock, I just assumed is was nitrogen charged? I'll check it out when I get home today

thanks
its not a air shock. the air effects the damping curve IIRC. on the piggy back is a schrader valve where the air is filled
i have the same shock on my Uzzi and like it.

you could also spend $180 to get Avy to do their magic on it
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/5th element speed sensitive conversion.htm

Last edited:

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
sweet! Thanks for the help I will look for the shradder valve tonight! (didn't even get home last night!)

hopefully I can just add some air. but if not $100 for that shock sounds like a good price......

I just need to get it right so I can sell it or trade it. I have a guy that wants to maybe trade a bushmaster ar-15 for it..... and if he'll do it im game cause there is no down hill in phx az! lol

unless someone wants it on here, i assume there is a classified section on this site???

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
ok so I got the shock off, found the shrader valve. dont have the exact pump for that shock so i used a valve extension to just use my air compressor at home. i filled it up and when i check it with a gauge it reads ok and then if i check it right after the first time it is empty.

is it possible that when i check it with my gauge it takes the air out of the reservoir? i aired it up this morning and am going to check it this afternoon to see if it holds air at all.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ok so I got the shock off, found the shrader valve. dont have the exact pump for that shock so i used a valve extension to just use my air compressor at home. i filled it up and when i check it with a gauge it reads ok and then if i check it right after the first time it is empty.
omg i hope this is a joke

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
SOB............ So I take it the shock cant be aired up with my compressor at home????????

Fvck! my buddy told me i can air it up from a compressor and I know nothing about it.... when I checked it last night there was no air in it al all. and the shock says 75-150 lbs on it so I figured I didn't have enough pressure to blow it up????

WTF did I do now????????????????????????

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
hahaha that picture is pretty funny! but I still feel like a dumb ass! lol

it hurts to learn the hard way! when I take this to a bike shop after work today what should I expect them to tell me (besides Im a dumb ass)

bmfpeterson

Chimp
May 22, 2010
if i look south i can see Casa Grande..............

south mountain is north of me, and you are correct im a noob and stated it in the first post! I have never rode a bike except back and forth to school as a kid i grew up and hopped on a dirt bike.

I made a bad deal with this bike and am trying to just get out of it so for you who have helped I appreciate it!