Quantcast

help with Riot bottom bracket?

udubvw

Chimp
Feb 21, 2009
Seattle
So, i recently got a Riot, and and starting a build.

I need a bottom bracket for my bike. And therein lies the problem. I know absolutely nothing, nada, zero about what bottom bracket works, what fits or anything....well, no I know its a euro bb, and thats it.

Please! teach me!

I did have a crankset from a Soul Cycles Roscoe lying around. FSA Nasty Boys.
I tried fitting the existing bb cups onto the bike, and they stuck out a few centimeters...ran out of threads in the frame, i suppose? SO would I just need a new bb kit?

Oh, one more thing. Will any integrated headset work?

TIA!

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Any Euro BB/crankset will work with a 73mm shell. If getting a Profile BB kit for Profiles, Deitys etc, just make sure it comes with the correct bearing spacer. Personally I would get new cranks. A lot of cranks don;t fit well to the Riot if using a larger than 28t chainring. Any good BMX crank will go on nicely that uses a 19mm spindle and a euro BB kit.

For headset you can get any 45/45 angular contact bearing headset. Don't get a 36/45 as it will not work..

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
whatever you do. don't get primo cranks, i hate mine. They wont bend but they will do weird things. One of my crank arms has something stripped on it from god knows what and now it moves back and forth. They always creek too. Just get profiles and save yourself the frustration, but definitely with the longest spindle you can get because they most I could fit on my riot was a 25.

udubvw

Chimp
Feb 21, 2009
Seattle
damn. gotta hold off on buying new cranks.
I have a budget limit and new cranks would put me waaaaay over, unfortunately.

One more question, I was looking at the bottom bracket, and the spacer between the two cups that goes inside the frame has 68mm on it, which I assume is for the 68mm bb shell. Would I need to add some spacers, since the Riot has 73 mm spacing?