Quantcast

Help with RS Deluxe shock

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I promised to help a friend with servicing his RS Deluxe shock and I have some difficulty removing the white nylon compression ball from the bleed port.

RS recommend pushing from the oil side with a 1,5mm Allen key which didn't worked at all...

It's the first time the shock is open and the ball seems to be heavily compressed.

I even removed the IFP, install the seal head / air piston into the damper body and then pressurised it as high as 450psi. Nothing moved and the it was airtight.

In suggestions?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Take the sealhead off the shaft, turn it upside down in a vice and punch the ball out from the oil side with your 1.5mm allen key and a hammer. If you have one to sacrifice cut the short end off it to make it a better punch.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Another question: my friend's shock had gone roughly 100h and the oil was already black so that I will change it. I don't plan on changing the seals (maybe dum?) but I need to change at least the nylon ball. RS sells packs of 20 balls which are sold out here in Sweden and should be back in stock in 4 weeks...
I found 3mm nylon balls from another none bike industry related supplier, would they do the job?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I found 3mm nylon balls from another none bike industry related supplier, would they do the job?
As long as they fit similarly tightly I don't see a problem, nylon in general is supposed to be largely oil resistant.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks @Udi ! The thing is that the actual ball is so deformed that I cannot measure it... 3mm is what I guess will fit the hole.

Maybe someone can measure the real thing.