Quantcast

Help with single speed cranks

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
Does anyone besides TruVativ make a true ss crank? My definition of TRUE is there are no chainring bolt holes for a small chainring.

If so, which one is the lightest? or stiffest?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'm running the truvativ, but the prettiest crank out there has to be the soon to be released White Bros ENO crank. It's square taper only I think, but looks bititching. Not sure on the weight, but it doesn't look small, looks pretty stiff, just a nice big hunk of metal.

The Ito

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by mcl2u2
Square taper? They still make that crap?
Yup, they work good too. None of those lame bearing problems and if you aren't hucking or a heavy weight they are stiff and strong enough.

The Ito

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
Na. No hucking on the xc bike. I tried to kill myself one day like that. Now I just try to kill myself on the Evil. It works better cause the bike is heavier. It's hard to kill yourself with a 20# bike.

The extra holes isn't really a weight thing for me, but a useless thing. Why have them if they serve no purpose.

I run XT cranks now and if I go light with small chainring holes I'll buy FSA carbon and a Max Ti bb, but I might have to check into these WB cranks.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
When is the ENO coming out??? I saw pic's of it last summer but there's still nothing about it on their web site. Looks very sexy but I'm not much on the square taper thing... As far as SS cranks go just get some 180mm ISIS Race Face Turbines, nice and stiff and light. I've ridden SS's for 4 or 5 years now and have tried several different types of cranks, Truvative, RF, square tapered, ISIS, etc.. and the ISIS RF Turbines have by far been the stiffest and best feeling setup I've used..

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
Ok. Well I bought a set of TruVativ SS cranks and a Max Ti bb this week. I hope I like them. I'm looking forward to a good xc ride. I haven't been in around 4 months. Damn that freeriding. It's made me fat and lazy. Anyone want to buy an Evil. Just kiddin'.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Ok. Well I bought a set of TruVativ SS cranks and a Max Ti bb this week. I hope I like them. I'm looking forward to a good xc ride. I haven't been in around 4 months. Damn that freeriding. It's made me fat and lazy. Anyone want to buy an Evil. Just kiddin'.

Stupid normal ;) (inside joke)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The extra holes isn't really a weight thing for me, but a useless thing. Why have them if they serve no purpose.
true, sort of. why limit your choices though when it really doesn't matter? I have always been a fan of Jerichos' "sufferings" they work with older XTR cranks and since the whole spider is replaced, you don't have any of those terrible little unused holes, bonus! and they aren't square taper, double bonus!

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
ooohhhh. That's pretty cool looking, but my ss is only a cassette lockring away from being Shimano-free.