Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

T

TJHooker

Originally posted by Yeti DHer

Old Xvert with like 4" or so travel. It was Orange.
ya heres the repair. i coulda sanded it down before paint but i think its cool.

Attachments

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
IMO the combination of 5" (or more) fork and a 24" rr wheel is just stupid. I'm getting so sick of seeing it. To each his own, but I'd bet money hardly any of those bikes are dedicated DH machines. No reason for an urban/DJ bike to be that slack. Penguins!

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Originally posted by Bulldog
IMO the combination of 5" (or more) fork and a 24" rr wheel is just stupid. I'm getting so sick of seeing it. To each his own, but I'd bet money hardly any of those bikes are dedicated DH machines. No reason for an urban/DJ bike to be that slack. Penguins!
Not all of those bikes are used purely for urban riding and dirt jumping. You have to realize that just because it has cro-moly cranks, doesn't mean all they do on it is big drops to flat.

I think mainly your comment was sparked by that .243 pictured just above, probably because it's on a downhill slope, which, yes, makes it look like a very slack bike. It's not, really - about 68.5 degrees (not corrected for fork sag, say 69.5, 70.5 tops). That's not that bad at all, and in fact a little less slack than I would like for the kind of riding I do (no, it's not mine). Currently the only thing keeping a 26" wheel on the back of my ride is money. Simply, from what I've ridden, they're easier to manual with, easier to hop with, and generally easier to air with - doubtful any of these things could be considered a drawback. Even if it is just a street/dj bike, what's wrong with being able to bust a sweet hop-to-manual line just that much easier?

I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to say that a 24" wheel has many benifits for ALL types of riding, with the exception of some DH courses, and erm... fireroad DH. You can't lay the brand of lemming on someone just because they know something works, and works well.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
The man has a point! I do agree, and don't fully understand why people put a 26 in front...I run dual 24's and love it, simply for the strength advantage...and it's a bit better in the skatepark. But hey, let this not turn into one of those really long debates in here. Make a new thread if it does.
Sorry, had that brewing for a while and couldn't hold it.

ClumpRider

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Riding bikes or girls
Originally posted by Bulldog
100% agree on that. IMO, 24" just dont have anything to do with mountain bikes. If you can't manual or whatver with a 26", improve your riding! Change everything on your bike, but please keep the most basic parts of it: The wheels.

And they say that Gary is stupid by putting 29inchers on his bikes :rolleyes:.......

FRosT

Chimp
Mar 2, 2002
MN
Warped...

I've only had the fork on for about a week now. Things took a bit longer at Risse than they had expected; not sure why. They were super easy to deal with the whole time though. When I placed the order I talked to them about what kind of riding I would be doing, let them know my weight and they took it from there. I believe they tune all their forks to a rider's specifics like Avalanche does.

Anyways, out of the box the first thing you notice is how beef this fork is(big stanchions and lowers, steel steertube, big bolts). The lowers and stanchions seem nearly as large as the Champ which was a massive fork. I ordered it anodized completely black, stanchions and lowers; definitely looks stealth. I think Risse will do just about any color you like. Poo brown was an option but I thought better of it.

The fork itself gets 4" of travel (I think 2-3" is an option), has 20mm thru axle, and weighs around 6 or 7 lbs. I guess one negative is that Risse uses a weird hub spacing so you sort of need to stick with their hubs. No big deal tho, they make a pretty nice one; 36 hole.

Tire clearance may be a problem for some if you're one to run big tires. The guys at Risse said the largest they've fit is a 2.7 Intense. Initially I wasn't able to fit the 2.65 Kujo dh that I had bought for the fork. There's plenty of width in the arch for a 2.7-2.8 but it would have to be a low profile tire like the Intense. The Kujos and Nokians, and Maxxis (I think) are taller and won't fit. You could get a new arch made if you really want to run huge tires I spose. I decided on 2.35 Kujos front and rear and so far they're awesome.

So far I've got nothing bad to say about how it rides. Yes, it is on the heavy side but if you're considering this fork you probably aren't too worried about that. However, I wasn't expecting the travel to be as smooth as it is since the Champ I had was so sticky. Might be different seals on this one. Rebound and compression are externally adjustable but I haven't messed with that yet, didn't get an owner's manual from Risse. Nothing special about the internals, just a plain old cartridge damper.

On the trail it rode really smooth tho. The faster i went the more responsive the fork seemed to get. This fork is plenty stiff. I tried to get it to flex and couldn't, take that how you will - I'm only 160 lbs. No big drops so far, just a little 3 footer. I found myself flying over sections a lot quicker than in the past. For me the fork gives me a bit more confidence in the rough stuff.

Any other questions just ask. If you're looking for a super solid 4" fork check this one out. I'm really enjoyin it so far.

Jeff

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
thanks FrosT! i've always liked that fork but people always say bad stuff about it. i guess now thats goin to the top of my list for a new fork.

one more question, how much did you pay for it?

FRosT

Chimp
Mar 2, 2002
MN
Danchez... It's my only bike, so i have to make do. Urban and dj I drop it way down, but on the trails i like the leg extension.

Warped... I ordered through Go-Ride and it was around $400 with disc mounts and a hub.

Jeff

JOhnG

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
DC
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
The man has a point! I do agree, and don't fully understand why people put a 26 in front...I run dual 24's and love it, simply for the strength advantage...and it's a bit better in the skatepark. But hey, let this not turn into one of those really long debates in here. Make a new thread if it does.
my friendhas daul 24's on jis .243. it's pimp for urban and DJ but every time we go out to trails he tries to get ahold of a 26...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by phlegm

Not all of those bikes are used purely for urban riding and dirt jumping. You have to realize that just because it has cro-moly cranks, doesn't mean all they do on it is big drops to flat.

I think mainly your comment was sparked by that .243 pictured just above, probably because it's on a downhill slope, which, yes, makes it look like a very slack bike. It's not, really - about 68.5 degrees (not corrected for fork sag, say 69.5, 70.5 tops). That's not that bad at all, and in fact a little less slack than I would like for the kind of riding I do (no, it's not mine). Currently the only thing keeping a 26" wheel on the back of my ride is money. Simply, from what I've ridden, they're easier to manual with, easier to hop with, and generally easier to air with - doubtful any of these things could be considered a drawback. Even if it is just a street/dj bike, what's wrong with being able to bust a sweet hop-to-manual line just that much easier?

I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to say that a 24" wheel has many benifits for ALL types of riding, with the exception of some DH courses, and erm... fireroad DH. You can't lay the brand of lemming on someone just because they know something works, and works well.
My comments were sparked by 74 pages of silliness, not just one bike. Don't get me wrong, some of these bikes are straight up beautiful machines. Then again, some have been bastardized to no end. I've ridden dual 24's, 24/26, and now I'm back to dual 26's for good, so I've got experience with it all. I've done hucking, DS, DJ, DH, heck even trail/XC. A 24" wheel offers no benefit of any kind TO ME, for the various types of riding I do.

I can understand someone wanting a 24" wheel to make their bike *feel* quicker and snappier when hopping and manualing. But when you do it because you threw a 7" fork and 2.7-3.0 tires on both ends it's all relative. If you want a quick bike that jumps/manuals well then build it that way. Get one with short chainstays (which 24's DO NOT help on traditional vertical dropout frames, except for a few adjustable ones), steep head angle, 4"-5" fork, mid-weight wheels/tires, and build it with reasonable parts spec. Choosing a 24" wheel to make your 38-42 pound pig feel more lively is a bandaid. My 34 pound Evil takes all the abuse this 225 pound rider can dish out, without complaint.

In closing (because I won't debate this more in this very cool thread) my original statement did include the phrases "In my opinion" and "to each his own", and included an exception for those owners who ride their pig hardtails for DH (in which case I have the utmost respect for them). I just wanted to make the reasons behind my opinions known. Rest assured, my views were developed from experience, not heresay. I don't know how you can argue with that. Later.

Danchez

Chimp
Apr 9, 2002
Orange, CA
i have a rear 24 on my bike to keep the chainstay length short. i would prefer a 26 but tire clearance is an issue. and i'm not running fatty tires either (2.1). i have no idea why i wrote this. geez i'm psycho. lough.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
24" wheels make plenty of sense to me, But yeah the 26/24 combo I have never been a fan of. 3.0" tires are neat, but anything bigger than a 2.65 is an asthetic mod in my opinion.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
These frames are made in australia, there were about 60 made in this batch, i think they qualify as burly hardtails.

this is one is my mats, the forks are mozo 5.5's

Attachments

G

Gutty

Originally posted by CTR
jumpin' the boy bike
Schaweeeet !!;) Are you anything to do with CTR or do you just ride one ?

BTW, You cannot have my Av !:D

Nd4spd

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
If it's rideable, i'm on it
Originally posted by Ian F

Yep, I've had that frame since '98 - raced XC at Mt Snow on it... ouch... I have a I.F. for xc now (steel:good). The Chameleon is holding up well for me with dirtjumping and general DH abuse. I really like how it handles and seems made for a 4" travel Marzocchi. So far my biggest drop on it has been about 6-7 feet.

Hey Ian sounds like we have the same taste in XC rides.Like you said steel good;) Now this is the winter project,(you guys talked me into one that i couldn't pass up)the question is what will end up on it:confused: This thread has given me alot of ideas;)