Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
well, it's kinda whimpy when compared to Imperials and Le Toys, but it's honding up well to me bashing on it.

My Chameleon DS bike. Since this pic was taken, I replaced the Z1 lowers with those from a Mr T.
:D

Attachments

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
Originally posted by Ian F
well, it's kinda whimpy when compared to Imperials and Le Toys, but it's honding up well to me bashing on it.

My Chameleon DS bike. Since this pic was taken, I replaced the Z1 lowers with those from a Mr T.
:D
wow,, nice hardtail,, but is that 2-3downhill frames and a monster t,, adn some other hardtail frames i see hanging????:eek:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by DHJUNKIE

wow,, nice hardtail,, but is that 2-3downhill frames and a monster t,, adn some other hardtail frames i see hanging????:eek:
Umm... well... actually... there are 5 frames in that shot... :rolleyes: a '00 4-banger (broken -long story), a '98 Lawwill DH-6 (Can't Climb's old bike), a '96 Foes Weasel waiting to get rebuilt, my old '97 M-1 (the blue blob ) that I'd like to sell, and a EWR Original Woods Bike that is also waiting to get rebuilt (my DS bike while Hulkamaniac owned the Chameleon for awhile).

To the left of the Monster, out of the picture, is my '97 Super T and a '98 Boxxer.

Yeah, I have a few bike parts... :rolleyes: They jsut keep multiplying and I can't bare to part with them... :help:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by obiwan-f1moto

hey, thats my bike! I took that pic!

looked a little lighter before, dont know how it got darkened up. Can someone lighten it for me here?

BTW, that train was blasting through there at about 50.

Trains are tough

dw
Dave, I thought you said the previously un-photographed black bike was running dual 24x3.0's. Got any pics of it wearing those shoes?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by a13x
here you go bulldog.

Thanks Alex. Hey, where's your helmet?!.... just teasing man. I like the black color...ALOT!

I really like all the options as far as fork, wheelbase, and tire size goes. Crazy to get all those options out of a one size fits all frame like that. Are you guys (Evil) going to wait until the release date before posting detail shots. In particular, I'm not a fan of horizontal dropouts (except for the obvious wheelbase adjustments) because of disc wheel removal, disc alignment, and wheel sliding/twisting in the dropouts problems. Can you show us what the dropouts look like or are they patent-pending as well? Best I've seen so far are some so-so shots from the drive side. I can see something like a chain tug to keep the axle in place, that's very good. I'd really like to see how Dave designed his disc mounts too. If you can't, you can't, and I'll just wait for some owner to take pics. I understand.

I've only had the Cortina rolling for a short while and I'm so tempted. Thank God the Imp won't be out for awhile. A burly twin toptube hardtail would look perfect next to the Turner!
:)

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
Tony,
This pic kinda shows the dropouts. Looks similar to the 24 dropouts, kinda, I know Evil probably has some cool engineering in the tensioners though.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by mtbtuc8700
Tony,
This pic kinda shows the dropouts. Looks similar to the 24 dropouts, kinda, I know Evil probably has some cool engineering in the tensioners though.
Yeah, I've already seen all those. Thanks Tucker. I'm more interested in the disc mount. With the amount of wheelbase adjustability (1.5") I'd assume it slides with the sliding dropouts. I also want to see that it positions the caliper on top or better yet in front of the highest point on the disc rotor. If you've seen Dave Mowry try to take the wheel off his Balfa Minuteman you'll know what I'm referring to. He has to unbolt his caliper to remove his wheel. Not a huge problem, but still a pain in the a$$ nonetheless.

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
Yes, I know Dave's wheel and disc are a pain, and that is the fitst thing that comes to mind when I think about horizontal dropouts. That is what turns me away from the horizontal dropouts.
I get what you are saying about there disc mounting though, just have to wait and see a closer pic.

You can kinda see the disc mount is part of the tensioner in the pic of the 24" and 26" set up by the car. Another cool note is the der. hanger is also part of the tensioner.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
yea almost kinda maybe sorta like the dna frame? now THERE is a sick dropout design. i love it and if it was steel id be saving my cash right now to buy it...not that the imperial isn't as badass or better i just have no close ups of the imperial to compare to.

also IAN damn i didnt know you rode a cham.!? i had such an obsession with those bikes for a while, they really ROCK! i dunno there is something about them i cant get over, go a lota soul or somthin' :p

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by diesel
yea almost kinda maybe sorta like the dna frame? now THERE is a sick dropout design. i love it and if it was steel id be saving my cash right now to buy it...not that the imperial isn't as badass or better i just have no close ups of the imperial to compare to.

also IAN damn i didnt know you rode a cham.!? i had such an obsession with those bikes for a while, they really ROCK! i dunno there is something about them i cant get over, go a lota soul or somthin' :p
Yep, I've had that frame since '98 - raced XC at Mt Snow on it... ouch... I have a I.F. for xc now (steel:good). The Chameleon is holding up well for me with dirtjumping and general DH abuse. I really like how it handles and seems made for a 4" travel Marzocchi. So far my biggest drop on it has been about 6-7 feet.

Btw, I asked FTW about steel frames and he'll make one if you want. Probably with the DNA-style drops outs if you ask for them and are willing to pay. Frank is a cool guy (I've met him at P-kill many times) and one of his steel frames may be my next HT after the Chameleon finally gives in...

Timmy Turtle

Chimp
Feb 26, 2002
Engelholm, Sweden

Umm... well... actually... there are 5 frames in that shot... :rolleyes: a '00 4-banger (broken -long story), a '98 Lawwill DH-6 (Can't Climb's old bike), a '96 Foes Weasel waiting to get rebuilt, my old '97 M-1 (the blue blob ) that I'd like to sell, and a EWR Original Woods Bike that is also waiting to get rebuilt (my DS bike while Hulkamaniac owned the Chameleon for awhile).

Yeah, I have a few bike parts... :rolleyes: They jsut keep multiplying and I can't bare to part with them... :help:

How are you gonna rebuild that Foes Weasel?

Cuz i have one of those (foes weasel 2 -97 i think) and i screwed the derailleur hanger, thereby killing the whole swingarm. Rightnow i kinda fixed it by sawing off the hanger, drilling and screwing on a standard dereilleur hanger i bought in the local bikestore heh. It works fine but there isnt realy any future in the bike cuz it has no disc brake mount, the Fox Rx is probably dead.

Do you know if its possible to get a new swingarm for it? (with a disc mount heh). And what shock should i get to replace the fox rx? Is this frame eaven worth to waste my money on? I dont have much experiance of other full suspension bikes so i dunno how it rides, i mostly ride Urban with some occational freeride.

Any help would be very apriciated.

BTW this is my first post on this board, ive been reading it for a month or so and after Dropmachine (too... damn... small....) this is definately the best one. HI ALL (for the record, all swedes dont spell bad and write totaly uncomprehencive (<--- spelling right there), its just me)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Timmy Turtle

How are you gonna rebuild that Foes Weasel?

Cuz i have one of those (foes weasel 2 -97 i think) and i screwed the derailleur hanger, thereby killing the whole swingarm. Rightnow i kinda fixed it by sawing off the hanger, drilling and screwing on a standard dereilleur hanger i bought in the local bikestore heh. It works fine but there isnt realy any future in the bike cuz it has no disc brake mount, the Fox Rx is probably dead.

Do you know if its possible to get a new swingarm for it? (with a disc mount heh). And what shock should i get to replace the fox rx? Is this frame eaven worth to waste my money on? I dont have much experiance of other full suspension bikes so i dunno how it rides, i mostly ride Urban with some occational freeride.

Any help would be very apriciated.
I plan to rebuild it as a XC/mild-FR bike with a 4" travel fork.

Replacement swingarms are available directly from Foes. I'm not sure how much, though. New swingarms come with disc tabs. I've also heard of guys welding and bolting custom tabs on with no ill effects, but it depends on how well it's done.

I have a Fox RX as well and for this frame it works fine. Typically to get it rebuilt, you need to send it back to Fox, which may or may not be an option for you. It may be possible for you to go to a World Cup race and have it rebuilt by6 them there - e-mail them and ask. Flat o nthis board also rebuilds Fox shock. You can find him in the "members" and e-mail or PM him. He's in Canada.

good luck and welcome to the :monkey: ! :)

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
i dreamed once of a steel chameleon. that would be so very sick. how much do you think that would cost ian? getting ahold of frank just to ask him pricing seems (from what ive heard) like it would be difficult but if youve talked to him maybe you could just ballpark it.

and yea an i.f. mmm theres this bike shop in burke, va where they got this beautiful i.f. built up. id love to get a custom singlspeed xc i.f. with some wakkie arse paint job. but they are way to expensive for me right now.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So on dropouts for the Imperial.

You guys are totally right, Horizontal dropouts can be a total pain in the ARSE!! Like Tucker said, the Imperial Alpha Prototypes used a horizontal dropout with a 12mm thru axle. The caliper mount and stainless steel derailler hanger float with the axle. Its pretty good, but thru axles in horizontal drops are just not too fun to deal with on the trail.

The Imperial Beta prototype uses a standard QR (no thru axle), and an adjustable chainstay length as well. No pics are available yet.

I am not ready to divulge the nature of the new design yet, but as Bulldog speculated, it is pending patent.

As soon as we are ready to release the production frame, (they will be shipping for May) we will be showing pics and detailed explaination on how the new system works, and what it does.

this thread should be a sticky!! its great!

dw

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
i dreamed once of a steel chameleon. that would be so very sick. how much do you think that would cost ian? getting ahold of frank just to ask him pricing seems (from what ive heard) like it would be difficult but if youve talked to him maybe you could just ballpark it.

and yea an i.f. mmm theres this bike shop in burke, va where they got this beautiful i.f. built up. id love to get a custom singlspeed xc i.f. with some wakkie arse paint job. but they are way to expensive for me right now.
I vaguely remember something around $700 or so... maybe $800 - just a ball-park figure I remember him mentioning, don't hold me to it. Custom hand-made steel hardtails don't come cheap.

I toyed with having I.F. build a slalom frame for me - basically exactly what you wrote: a steel chameleon, but the price would likely be around $1500... a bit too much for a beat-on bike, IMO.

My I.F. is a nice, basic black with the std metal flake clear-coat and pimpin' gold King hubs. :D

C

Cheers

I am changing the cranks to either Profile of Planet X and the pedals to Planet X Klingons..This bike is my new favorite trail bike. Hardtails are Timeless!

Attachments

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
That black imperial litterally makes me want to cry:love: Thats flat out my dream bike, i couldnt think of anything else to spec on it. Could someone please explain the point of running dual crown DH forks on a HT? I just dont get it. If u want that much travel go get a real DH bike. The whole reason of a HT in my oppinion is to have soemthing nimble to play on. I guess ill just have to settle for my minute man instead of that black imperial... what a shame huh:rolleyes:

spag52

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
MA
hell no, that is def. not stock. a job like that looks to be 100-200 bucks. i'm gettin ideas for my le toy now:cool: :rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I could do it myself, but I favor power over paint, so all my bikes are one color. I guess I could power and do the grafix over top, might work...

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001

My I.F. is a nice, basic black with the std metal flake clear-coat and pimpin' gold King hubs. :D
f-in drool. gawd that sounds so sweet. you got n e pics of that? how much did i.f. charge you for a custom build?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
f-in drool. gawd that sounds so sweet. you got n e pics of that? how much did i.f. charge you for a custom build?
I'll PM you... I've polluted this thread with enough XC talk already... ;)

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
minichase

I run a dual crown on my HT becuz I like additional stiffness of it. I only run 5 inches on the front. I am not the trimmest of fellows so a 5" singlecrown is a little more flexy than I want.
That LeToy is sooooo sweet. awesome paint on that.

I agree that this is one of the best threads I have seen .

A

a13x

the masses have spoken. can this be a sticky? Please?! Remove *my* damn pkill jump thread! :oink:

Well...it's 42 lbs and I don't think I'll ever be able to break it. Finally finished it after starting it in September of last year. Big thanks to Alain for all the 24 swag. Built it up as a DH hardtail but having fun with it all over the place. Even with the Monster up front, with it's short wheelbase, this thing rides up on its rear wheel almost at will. Make of it what you will!

Attachments