Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Originally posted by Lefty
BURLY Hardtail bro.. some phat rims. And what are those hubs of yours.
Thanks man, those hubs are whatever the stockers from a 2001 RM7 were. The wheels were originally built for use on a RM7 before they became the hoops for the Jack flash. So I dunno if they're rocky hubs or if someone makes those hubs for rocky... And yeah they're burly but I need that much strength on the back of my hardtail for umm...not riding so smooth sometimes ;) I guess I could lighten up the front but whatever it works no sense in spending more than I have to.

poobah

Chimp
May 10, 2004
hey yo im feelin those planet x jack flashes,
im trying to shoose between an on-one gimps with a sherman flick and gazzis

or a jackflash with dj3's

watd u guys think

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Well I can't say that I"ve ridden the gimp or even seen it in real life for that matter but I absolutely love my jack flash. It's one of two bikes I've ever had that I wouldn't sell or change a thing about it ever. It came together perfect for what I use it for. So I guess I'd have to say I reccommend the PX but it's a little biased ;)

kghoscht

Chimp
Oct 17, 2001
Somewhere in Time
I dusted off an old tablet I got somewhere, been messing around a bit. Keep in mind, I'm no artist. I had to trace a bit (bicycle frames are ^%@#$ deceptively hard to draw!), but tried to keep the tracing "loose".

Oct 9, 2003
Originally posted by Peete
Here is my son on his freshly built Steelhead. Straight from the work stand to the skate park today.
Could you post a picture of just the bike? The add says you can get 2 sizes - is that 24 and 26" ?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Originally posted by Showtime
My new HT... Not many of these out there... yet....

I need to convert my son's rear wheel to a solid nutted axle. How do I go about it? He has a DT Onyx and we can't keep the rear wheel straight in the drop out with a QR. Damn horizontal drop outs.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Originally posted by Rainer Wolfcastle
Could you post a picture of just the bike? The add says you can get 2 sizes - is that 24 and 26" ?
The frame comes with adjustable canti mounts and the chainstay will allow a pretty big tire. I'll snap a picture when I can pry him off of it.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
my 04 kona cafe.

the cafe s a specal edition made for and sold by the Bicycle cafe located in Canmore Alberta and Kamloops B.C. the spec is the same as an 04 Kona stuff but sports the roast's flat black and grey paint scheme the "CAFE" lettering on the top tube is in the same font as the shops logo and the frame also has the helicoptor of the cafe logo on it. a hayes HFX-9 6inch disc brake upgrade is also availible from kona and is installed by the dealer .

mine has been changed alot, I have the hayes upgrade aswell I chaged the seat from a Koan DJ to a Kona out of bounds, the grips from cowans to koan glow in the dark and the fork from the Marz drop off comp to a kona dirt jump rigid. also i put Tioga factory DH tires on

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Peete
I need to convert my son's rear wheel to a solid nutted axle. How do I go about it? He has a DT Onyx and we can't keep the rear wheel straight in the drop out with a QR. Damn horizontal drop outs.
I dont know about converting the DT Onyx specifically. The hub I have on in the picture I bought with a 10mm solid axle. However, I did convert the XT hub on my other wheel to a 10mm solid axle. It was pretty easy, I went to a local shop and got a solid 10mm cromo axle (I think it was 178mm long, but I would check that before buying) then got some axle nuts for it. The threads on the axle are 10x1.0 metric threads. I just took the QR axle out and put the solid one in (make sure you keep track of what order the cones, nuts, etc come off in...) Hope this helps out!

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
SWD Racing custom steel frame. Cant get over how well it rides, love this bike.
Marz Z.1 Dual and DH4 brakes. Profile cranks with "Evil-D" chainguide; Evil boomerang with Montara Designs Super-D bashgaurd.
Pics from when I first built it up; I re-did the routing so its not so stupid now.

Massive drop-outs and 12mm suzuki motorcycle ta. burly:

shame i had to go and shatter my collarbone right before summer, and cant ride it.:(

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Toshi said:
imperials actually ride quite nicely with monsters on them.

if this were going to be a permanent setup i'd swap the reducers/king for the e13 zerostack reducer cup setup (http://www.e13components.com/zerostack_reducer_cups.html) which in turn would allow me to run a flat crown and no spacers.
toshi, how do you like that thing? any idea what it weighs in at? I really like the imperial frames and after racing for the first time this weekend and doing well on a hardtail i think i will build one up. Is that SS by the way?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Showtime said:
I dont know about converting the DT Onyx specifically. The hub I have on in the picture I bought with a 10mm solid axle. However, I did convert the XT hub on my other wheel to a 10mm solid axle. It was pretty easy, I went to a local shop and got a solid 10mm cromo axle (I think it was 178mm long, but I would check that before buying) then got some axle nuts for it. The threads on the axle are 10x1.0 metric threads. I just took the QR axle out and put the solid one in (make sure you keep track of what order the cones, nuts, etc come off in...) Hope this helps out!
Yes, thank you! You confirmed what JEffD's LBS told me. But he wasn't 100% sure about the thread pitch.
Here's the Steelhead ready for Snowshoe

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Well i have posted some pics before of my bike and just thought i would post an update pic. The parts are as follows

03 243 racing frame
04 Marzocchi Z.1 FR
Arrow racing DHX 24" rims
Hope blulb front hub
Hope sport rear hub
Arrow racing Prime bite tires 24 x 2.75
Hope M4 brakes
Hussefelt bar and stem
Profile crank with hop up kit
Snafu chain tensioners
KMC-710 chain
Mosh sprocket with integrated bashring (forget the name)
Crupi pro pedals
ODI lock on grips
T.H.E. Seat with cheap seatpost
FSA Pig DH Deep cup headset

and i think thats the most detailed parts list ever...

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yellowfox said:
toshi, how do you like that thing? any idea what it weighs in at? I really like the imperial frames and after racing for the first time this weekend and doing well on a hardtail i think i will build one up. Is that SS by the way?
it was pretty fun. the handlebars are too high imo, but with the zerostack setup it would probably feel just about right. and, yes, it is single speed. the monster is just a temporary thing until my "real" frame gets in (and then the z1 will be back to a sane build :D ).

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Heres my Army Green Imperial
2002 DJ1
Diablous Stem
FSA Pig Headset
Azonic Headlock
Azonic PDW Bar
Azonic HD seatpost
Azonic Big Drop saddle