Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm not a big fan of long travel hardtails (don't care for the huge geometry swings; feels like riding a stapler), preferring 140-150mm max, but it's about time people are looking at sagged angles vs static. they *should* be 1.5-2* slacker than a comparable use fs rig.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I agree, I am more a 140 max on a hardtail, if you need much more it probably isn't the best tool for the job. That said, the chromag guys are mutants, those dudes put their bike's where their mouths are. That doctahawk is the hardtail I'd want for some of the whistler valley trails.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I did the more HSC less LSC thing on my hardtail (Dartmoor Hornet). Got 1 ride in. Seemed to stay up more in the travel even though I didn't put in the usual air pressure. Will do more testing.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i'm not a big fan of long travel hardtails (don't care for the huge geometry swings; feels like riding a stapler), preferring 140-150mm max, but it's about time people are looking at sagged angles vs static. they *should* be 1.5-2* slacker than a comparable use fs rig.
Agreed on the sagged geo. Hardtails generally just keep getting steeper through the travel, where fs bikes don't necessarily (depending on what the rear is doing).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I agree with that, people like Spesh are still selling "AM" hardtails with a 68deg HA, I'm sure the once trendy semi fat tyres help a bit but decent geo would be a lot more useful.

EDIT- Oh, forgot to say that they need long headtubes to get the stack up a bit higher than a dually. I have a 150mm head tube and it is just long enough to let me run no spacers with a 30mm rise bar. Naturally the slacker they are the longer the HT has to be, mine is 63.5 with a 130mm fork, fork is 10mm longer A2C than most others which was part of the reason I bought it.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was hoping to have a Metric on the front as the Durolux is dead but I can't find any with the Roughcut damper, they only have the shitty old HLR.
Streamers1.jpg

EDIT-Burly, not Gurly, sorry.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is that a BTR?

nice.
Marino from Peru, wanted more room in the triangle for a bike bag and a longer back end than the BTR had.
I post a geo chart in the new whips thread somewhere.

what happened to durolux :(
I just hate it, the noise and feel of the neg spring, the bushings wore really quickly then I stopped wiping the stanchions after rides, within two months of that the anno was wearing through and big scores appeared. Guess there was a sour taste from the lack of oil in the damper and subsequent loss of damping, the lack of email replies and having the neg spring stack installed upside down from new........that all added to the hate.
The last service guy I got hold of was really good and offered to sort me out but a new fork or parts would still leave me with a fork that felt and sounded as shit as the one I had so it will go to the recyclers.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I just hate it, the noise and feel of the neg spring, the bushings wore really quickly then I stopped wiping the stanchions after rides, within two months of that the anno was wearing through and big scores appeared. Guess there was a sour taste from the lack of oil in the damper and subsequent loss of damping, the lack of email replies and having the neg spring stack installed upside down from new........that all added to the hate.
The last service guy I got hold of was really good and offered to sort me out but a new fork or parts would still leave me with a fork that felt and sounded as shit as the one I had so it will go to the recyclers.
:(
I have been enjoying my aurons, rebuild kit for them will be here today, I ordered a new lighter negative spring, so will get to see about the negative spring stack