Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

Uncle Jimmi

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
MisterMental said:
that polished p3, is it just polished or polished then laquered as on top?
Polished only and yes its a pain in the arss to keep it that way but that is what I do for a living (polishing that is) so I like to represent.

The P3 was just retired and replaced by a new 12" Iron horse Porter.
The paint will come off and it will be bling blinging soon.

J

J5ive

Uncle Jimmi said:
Polished only and yes its a pain in the arss to keep it that way but that is what I do for a living (polishing that is) so I like to represent.
Care to publish a tutorial. Thats mean!

Uncle Jimmi

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
J5ive said:
Care to publish a tutorial. Thats mean!

It takes years of experience if polishing machines or equipment is used or you will more than likely hurt yourself or your frame. This includes the use of dremel tools, drills, and grinders, ECT…

However it can be done at home safely.
First the paint must be removed, I recommend using aircraft striper brand spray or liquid brush-on.
Then hand sand using 200 grit wet-or-dry paper with a little water.
Then repeat the process with 300, 500, 1000, 1500 grit, the finer you go the brighter the buff will be.
Now you can use a rag and aluminum cream polish such as Mothers or Flitts, NOT never-Dull

It takes lots of time and scrubbing but will look good if you are thorough with each step.

I have seen many ruined projects as a result misused equipment or tools even in the hands of otherwise skilled craftsman, so stick to the plan or pay a pro.

If you give it a try report back and let us know how it went.
See more of my work here www.BrightLee.com

Uncle Jimmi

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Rainer Wolfcastle said:
Nice job. Have you considered polishing the cranks?
Yes, and the bars and the seat post and more of the rims (did you notice the 1/4 inch strip between the tire and rim) But I think it hit the perfect ballance of black and silver.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The polishing is dope. I've spent a lot of time polishing various bits of metal over the years, so I appreciate the time and effort that must have taken. Just out of interest, have you weighed a frame before paint striping and after polishing?

Uncle Jimmi

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Yea, that would have been the perfect finishing touch.
Did anyone notice the 1/4 inch of black I removed from the bead of the rim?

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
untitledsince89 said:
ahah I do now that you mention it. That is simply blingtastic. Race face makes the deus line, with the all chromed out components. too bad its for XC
you should get some chrome profiles for it

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Adam Novatt said:
your new hard tail is nice.
Yeah, now I just need some jumps in Ojai. I've heard of Ellwood in SB, is it any good? I've also heard of some jumps in Goleta that were supposed to be good too.

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
Bicyclist said:
Burly enough for me:

if you dont mind me asking, how much do you think that weighs? im looking to run a very similiar set-up but with a sovereign frame and front brakes.

thanks.