Quantcast

Help with some burly hardtail pics...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Finally have a replacement for that Surly I killed!

Behold...in not-quite-final form... Herr Nicolai!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Site says 15 3/4" chainstay, 22.6" TT (large), 67 HA, as I remember.

I think the HA's like 68 in practice, the TT seems a tad shorter (measuring a hair over 22" horizontal), stay length is spot-on.

Thanks for the kind words! (It'll be even better once I get my next shipment of parts from this mailorder place... :D)

MD

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by MikeD
Site says 15 3/4" chainstay, 22.6" TT (large), 67 HA, as I remember.

I think the HA's like 68 in practice, the TT seems a tad shorter (measuring a hair over 22" horizontal), stay length is spot-on.

Thanks for the kind words! (It'll be even better once I get my next shipment of parts from this mailorder place... :D)

MD
:eek: Gasp! You support mail-order? Don’t you know your friendly local bike shop has everything you could ever need?

That geometery sounds fun! Very similer to the LeToy with the short rear end and slack head angle. I bet it rips on smooth DH courses. I'd love to try one out some day.

Nd4spd

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
If it's rideable, i'm on it
Originally posted by Unreal
:eek: Gasp! You support mail-order? Don’t you know your friendly local bike shop has everything you could ever need?

Friendly LSB has every thing yeah right who who kidding:confused: You even mention that you have talked to a online shop and watch them go nuts;)

Just for the record i'm not bashing any LSB's but there are times when you need a part or a "bike" because you are prepared so that you don't wait till April and say hey i need this now.

If i hear one more time "you won't be able to ride it now anyways" or my favorite "it's on backorder".My god don't they still ride bikes on the west coast or in the south during the winter on the east coast and don't suppliers still have parts to sell:confused:

Myself i have a deadline of the end of March to have everything ready for the season if not the 15th of March.I don't wait till the last minute for anything that i think i need;)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Sideways
Question: What the hell happend to EWR?
I almost bought one several years back, but got a spooky instead.
A few things happened to them.

First, I understand EWR was not the most financially stable company in the world and left quite a bit of debt in their wake.

Second, EWR's were welded by a Philadelphia builder called Grove Innovations and apparently the Original Woods Bike frame was a modified version of a frame Grove had already been building. I know a guy in Philly with one of the Groves and it's like an EWR on steriods. A few years ago Grove stopped building bike frames although I understand they will weld one up if enough money is waived in front of them.

Third, I know Jay DeJesus to some extent and Jay is a "free spirit" if there ever was one. It would be very much like him to start a project, have some fun with it, and then move on to something new.

I had a EWR Woods frame and it was a really cool bike. I had it built up with the parts on my Chameleon (search this thread) as a psuedo-DS bike. My main beefs with it were the really high bottom bracket with a 4" Z-1 and the extremely limited rear tire clearance (I had to run a 1.9) so I re-purchased my Chameleon and still have that now. I sold the EWR some months ago.

Nd4spd

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
If it's rideable, i'm on it
Hey Big Cheese when you get a chance can we get a close up:confused: That's a sweet bike as i have had the chance to ride one:thumb: I bet that you are loving that one:D

Are you doing mostly Urban or alittle of everything with the Evil? Always curious to find out,thanks. Peter

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by Nd4spd
Hey Big Cheese when you get a chance can we get a close up:confused: That's a sweet bike as i have had the chance to ride one:thumb: I bet that you are loving that one:D

Are you doing mostly Urban or alittle of everything with the Evil? Always curious to find out,thanks. Peter
well urban so far but this thursday im going to see how it fairs on the trails. next year ill probly do the comfort DH race on it and i might take it with me to europe for the summer. cant really get a good close up. camera sucks. ill have to use a friends for any decent closeup shots. thats the only part that sucks about spending so much on bikes, there isnt any money for anything else!

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by recidivist
Anything else? Wait, there's something else?

Nah. Couldn't be. Pass the Webcyclery catalog....
yea like a nice digicam.....my stereo system needs a upgrade. i havent had a watch in a few years. a facking vacation to go ride somewhere worth riding ect. ect

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
Scout, thats the nicest Le toy build i've ever seen, did you strip it back yourself or do they come like that from the factory?

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
CTR, thanks!! Still needs some details addressed but I'm happy with it :)

It came with the factory brushed finish. I took some 600 grit and Autosol Aluminum Polish to it :)

le varan

Chimp
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by Nd4spd
Hey le varan what size is that Mich that you have on the front there:confused: And what comp as well.Damn that looks big and i like it:thumb:
it's a MICHELIN DH COMP32 SOFT 2.8, heavy but sticks to the trail

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
CTR, thanks!! Still needs some details addressed but I'm happy with it :)

It came with the factory brushed finish. I took some 600 grit and Autosol Aluminum Polish to it :)
how long did that take you?:eek:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok, here's my Nicolai again, now with some better parts on there...nothing too visible, but that's now a black evil bashring (more on that one later...), some Answer Protapers, new Rotovator discs, new dual Hope/521 wheelset with Maxxis 2.35 mobster SR/HR 60d combo, FSA V-drive cranks...lookin' pretty pimp and riding even better.

Bike is really slack, but turns fast thanks to the short rear end. Feels great on the trail, not bad on the street...I'm trying to learn how to really ride pavement with it. I'm pretty much still working on getting *good* at bunnyhopping, riding manuals for more than 2-3 seconds, trackstanding, and the rest of the basic skills, to be honest.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Non-drive side (sorry these pix suck; I'll try to get some better ones when the sun's back up; need some fill flash in there and a bit more exposure...)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Evil bashguard

Frankly, after waiting so long, I'm a bit disappointed that it's got those stripes...just don't get why it's not solid black with a logo...

I think all black with a really small 'EVIL' near the edge would be sweet, maybe with the skull on there, too.

Maybe an orbital sander will take care of the 'problem...' if I get bored enough. What do you all think of it aesthetically?

(I don't really harp on this crap too much; I'm very happy with the guards in operation and am going to ride it without whining about it from now on; I was just suprised at the design for an 'urban' guard...it looks like Art Deco to me! Urban, yes, contemporary, no... :p )

MD