Quantcast

Help with Supercross MX26 Build...

MotoCycle

Chimp
Sep 1, 2006
I just picked up a new Supercross MX26XL off of Ebay for $169 incl S&H. I haven't had a bike since I got into motorcycles about 6 years ago and am completely new to the scene. This is my first bike build and was wondering if anyone could point me towards good inexpensive (not cheap) parts. I'm planning on making the bike a singlespeed with 24" wheels and using it for a mix of urban/dirt jumping. Thanks in advance for any help!!

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Those bikes look like a damn good deal for only $169 (MSRP is $449!). You should post this up in the BMX/DJ forum though, you'll get more response there.

That said, using 24" wheels on this bike is probably a bad idea due to it's intended design and associated geometry. On the Supercross website the bottom bracket height is given at 11.75" (which is bmx low, but good!), but that's with 26" wheels and a 100mm fork. With 24" wheels your bb height will be around 10 3/4", which is ultra-low. You're probably best stick with 26" wheels on this frame.

MotoCycle

Chimp
Sep 1, 2006
Thanks for the tip! I'll take your word for it and go with 26" wheels. I'll also repost this is the other forum. BTW what would I get/lose by running multiple speeds on the back? It looks like this frame is set up to do so if I wanted.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
What you would get/lose by running gears is: get, the ability to shift, and ride up hill better. You would get to spend more time working on your bike to tune the shifting. You would get to run weaker chains that break more often. You would lose reliability of a single speed and you would lose the ability to just focus on riding and not as much on what gear you should be in.

Probably my favorite thing about riding a single speed is that I don't have to worry about stuff. It's all about riding. I pedal the bike moves...that simple no shifting, no skipping chain, no easing off the pedals so I'm not shifting under load. Not worrying about whether I could have cleared something if I'd been in a different gear. :happydance:

MotoCycle

Chimp
Sep 1, 2006
:cheers:
That's the reason I've been leaning towards a singlespeed! I keep catching criticism from mtb friends that I won't be able to go up any hills, but like the idea of keeping it fun and simple. Like the idea of proving them wrong even better...