Quantcast

Help!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yes, I am a lazy (drunk?) MTBer that has been sought out for help in choosing a road bike...forgive me.

Actually, I have a road bike and use it (surprise, surprise) and organized a team for the local American Diabetes TourdeCure Ride and now my principal has decided to take me to lunch to "pcik my brain" about which road bike he should get. I am a MTBer by heart but do ride a road bike for commuting and training so he thinks I know what I am doing. HELP~

He currently has a hybrid bike that someone convinced him would be a good option. He did the metric century and wants a lighter bike....what the hell do I tell him???

THANKS!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The first thing is there are two kinds of road bikes, the more relaxed geometry (like a Roubaix or a Synapse) and the true racing bikes (like the Tarmac or Super Six). Obviously he wants a more relaxed geometry

Really it comes to the bike shop you go to. Keep in mind that almost every road bike from $700 to $7000 has exactly the same components in its price range.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
well if he's used to riding the hybrid then looking for something with a more relaxed geometry would be best. is he hooked on road riding or does he feel good about himself doing the metric century? we all know that less weight = more $$$ so have that in mind for him too. Felt Z70, the c'dale synapse, giant ocr, jamis ventura series or the eclipse or quest. plenty of choices good luck

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually have the Synapse and Jamis on my list for him to look at. He wants to spend $800-1200 and isn't opposed to a used bike. He's a tall guy so that will be tougher (6'2") he thinks he needs a 62cm bike...does that sound right? I don't think he's been fitted and I am guessing he doesn't want to spend the time/$ to go through a full fitting either. He does know his inseam and torso so that will help, but I'd really like to get him fitted so I don't help him buy the wrong sized bike!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
sometimes the shop may throw in a fitting if he buys the bike there. make sure he's not using the inseam # from his pant size that will make the inseam length shorter than what it is.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
sometimes the shop may throw in a fitting if he buys the bike there. make sure he's not using the inseam # from his pant size that will make the inseam length shorter than what it is.
Yeah, I told him he needed his true inseam and torso lengths. I am hoping he'll go to my LBS as they carry Giant, Jamis & C'Dale. All 3 have good offerings for what he wants to do with it (touring rides, charity rides, commuting) and I am thinking he'll throw in a fitting.