Quantcast

Help........

/v\ark

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
Cana to the da
I've been out of the X-country game for a number of years and am looking at getting back in.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is a good deal or not.

Specialized stumpjumper FSR pro 2001

- NEW 2003 Mavic Crossroc tubeless wheelset.
-Rockshox SID 100 (very clean, well maintained, 4" travel).
-NEW SRAM 9.0SL 9 speed shifters & rear derailleur.
-NEW SRAM 9.0 cassette.
-NEW SRAM PC69 9 speed chain.
-LX E-type front derailleur.
-Specialized Big Arm cranks with NEW Envy EXO rings (34 & 44t).
-NEW Avid Titanium single digit V-brakes.
-NEW Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless tires (silver/black).
-Raceface Thermo SP sealed bearing headset.
-NEW Easton EC70 carbon post or Thomson Elite - you chose.
-Specialized XC Bar & stem.
-Shimano 535 pedals.
-XT BB
-Fiziks saddle.

items marked new have less than 5 hours on them
bike is described as "mint"

$850usd

what do you think?

thanks

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
ark - tell us what kind of riding you intend to do, plus your size. I bought a bike with a SID on it, I hated it but I'm about 190 lb's and it was way to flexy for me. My son loves it though but he is about 130 lb's. There are a lot of stump jumpers out there, so they must be decent bikes. That's quite a list of parts, hardly any of them stock so whoever has it now must have enjoyed tinkering on bikes.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by /v\ark
I've been out of the X-country game for a number of years and am looking at getting back in.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is a good deal or not.

Specialized stumpjumper FSR pro 2001

- NEW 2003 Mavic Crossroc tubeless wheelset.
-Rockshox SID 100 (very clean, well maintained, 4" travel).
-NEW SRAM 9.0SL 9 speed shifters & rear derailleur.
-NEW SRAM 9.0 cassette.
-NEW SRAM PC69 9 speed chain.
-LX E-type front derailleur.
-Specialized Big Arm cranks with NEW Envy EXO rings (34 & 44t).
-NEW Avid Titanium single digit V-brakes.
-NEW Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless tires (silver/black).
-Raceface Thermo SP sealed bearing headset.
-NEW Easton EC70 carbon post or Thomson Elite - you chose.
-Specialized XC Bar & stem.
-Shimano 535 pedals.
-XT BB
-Fiziks saddle.

items marked new have less than 5 hours on them
bike is described as "mint"

$850usd

what do you think?

thanks
if it's mint then go for it and ask for the thomson

/v\ark

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
Cana to the da
I'm 150lbs and would be using it for my epic/all around trail/XC machine.
I've got a beefy hardtail for thrashing, so this bike would be spared any seriously hairy situation.

I'm not worried about wrecking anything, i'm planning on being very gentle on this bike, but i have no idea how much a set of crossroc rims would go for on the used market for example. I'm not well versed in the market value of used XC gear.

Sounds like i'm getting a positive response which leads me to belive I won't be getting ripped off.

And the Thompson over the Easton? I've got a thompson on my other bike and have had no problems. Is there anything wrong with the easton?

Thanks guys!

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Originally posted by /v\ark
And the Thompson over the Easton? I've got a thompson on my other bike and have had no problems. Is there anything wrong with the easton?

Thanks guys!
Yes- it's a piece of junk. I had one and snapped it the very first ride. Get the Thompson.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Sounds like a great deal. The only potential pit-falls are the fork and hubs. The cross-roc rims are great (x3.1's) but the hubs tend not to last.
The 100mm SID is one of if not the most ill-conceived forks ever. In order to get enough exposed stanction to get 4", they use the same lowers as the high-end 63mm and 80mm sids (I forget the model names).
What this means: when you look at a SID XC, the lowers come up about an inch higher than the brake posts. On the lite-weight version and the 100mm, the lowers stop at a point about level with the brake posts. What this means is that you have a 4" fork with an inch less overlap than a 80mm SID XC. This means VERY flexy when cornering.
Regardless though, thats a great deal and I would go with the Thompson. With the Cross Rocs, I'll bet you could just replace the hubs at some point since the rims use normal spokes.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Repack
Sounds like a great deal. The only potential pit-falls are the fork and hubs. The cross-roc rims are great (x3.1's) but the hubs tend not to last.
The 100mm SID is one of if not the most ill-conceived forks ever. In order to get enough exposed stanction to get 4", they use the same lowers as the high-end 63mm and 80mm sids (I forget the model names).
What this means: when you look at a SID XC, the lowers come up about an inch higher than the brake posts. On the lite-weight version and the 100mm, the lowers stop at a point about level with the brake posts. What this means is that you have a 4" fork with an inch less overlap than a 80mm SID XC. This means VERY flexy when cornering.
Regardless though, thats a great deal and I would go with the Thompson. With the Cross Rocs, I'll bet you could just replace the hubs at some point since the rims use normal spokes.

typical rockshox. my psylo has a lot of stanchion exposure too and it's flexy.

Those cranks I dunno........

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Originally posted by Jesus
If everything is in mint condition, and you like the way the bike rides, then I would buy it. Seems like a great deal.
If jesus says buy the bike, you have to. He is jesus after all.