Quantcast

Hemlock

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
How are the lift-accessed trails at Hemlock, BC? We might be going there next weekend, but I want to be sure the riding is worth it.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I am gonna go soon too, can't be too bad for $15 can, and they are having another bc cup there in two weeks, they had one there last year to, and if they are back, at least one trail is good.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I was there today, as a matter of fact. This was my first time up there, and although I would go again, I don't think that Hemlock has the long-term entertainment factor that Whistler has. However, it costs me less than half in gas to get to Hemlock, and the lift ticket is a third of the price. For the money, it cannot be beat.

Now, onto the riding. There are three main DH trails. Calamity Cut is very new and untracked. This is nice when it's dusty as it was today because there was actually traction to be had. However, the corners are very tight, and the trail (IMO) lacks the "fun" factor that the other two have. I only rode it once though, and maybe a second chance is in order.
The Game is my second favorite in the current dusty conditions. There are spots that are just unbearable to get down due to the lack of rain, but the stunts are pretty fun. Don't think that it's like Whistler though - it's not (and doesn't claim to be). Natural jumps and drops are abounding, with a few man-made stunts here and there. There is one large (8'+ to crappy tranny) rock drop, and there is one similar on the DH Course. You can connect to the BikerX quite easily, which is different, and when I say different, I mean "not straightforward." At least one run is required before you can determine how the BikerX jumps must be hit. If you avoid the BikerX, there are a few more stunts (manmade) that are cool as well as a nice drop into a mini-gap that needs tranny work. This trail would be a blast if I could count on my tires gripping at all in rocky, loose, dusty soil.
My favorite run that I rode like 8 times today was the BC Cup DH Course. It is banked quite nicely so that even with the loose soil you can still find something to "use" to keep control of your bike. There are a couple good drops, some really fast sections, some fun gaps (with a huge one at the end) - overall it was a blast, even in these nasty conditions. The downside is that it only takes about 5 minutes to get down, maybe less, and the lift takes 15 minutes to get you to the top.
The thing to remember about this place is that the trails are all handmade (not bobcatted), which means that they wear naturally, and yes, they are worn and in need of sprucing (the trannies on a lot of jumps/drops are sketchy because of all the loose rocks and loose dirt - compared to the nicely sculpted jumps on A-Line, this place needs work. The upside is that it teaches you to ride in the kind of conditions that most of us have close to home... I go way bigger at Whistler than anywhere else just because everything is groomed so nicely). Full suspension is highly recommended for maintaining control and keeping speed. Body armor isn't necessary, but I was glad I had mine. Don't even think about riding without leg armor because you WILL wash out, and bare knees on rocky soil are not fun.

I hope that helps. And for the record, lift tickets are only $10CAN with a BroCard. Hours are 10am to 3:30pm and the road is way better than I had heard it was.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
NE of Mission, BC. Take Hwy 542 E to Hwy 9 N, all the way to the Sumas border crossing. Continue N on Hwy 11, eventually go E on Hwy 7. Stay on Hwy 7 for about 30 miles until you can take a L onto Miller Valey Road (you will see a sign for Hemlock). Stay on it until you can take a L onto Hemlock Valley Road (again, another sign). At the end of that road is the resort.