Quantcast

Herb Gardens

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I figured this was the place because only the foodie folks seem to be growing gardens.

I've got a small garden with basil, cilantro, tarragon, sage, habanero and jalapeno peppers.

I'm just starting to get jalapeno's growing some fruit and the hab's look ready to go too. My cilantro is going ape isht, so I will be making some Mexican food this week for sure.

The basil is on a tear so I will be making pesto this week.

Any suggestions for tarragon and sage?

Also, my tarragon is starting to flower. Should I be nipping the buds? I know that i need to do that with my basil to keep it growing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Good call on the Ravioli. I'm already on the saltimbocca. I had some lamb the other night that was amazing.

I also had to expand my garden today. The large pot (wine barrel) was being overrun by basil and cilantro, so I got three fabric pots to spread the basil and cilatro into. The basil got it's own pot, and I put the cilantro in with a new mint plant. I also got a 6-pack of young snow peas to go into the third fabric pot. I setup a nice 4-leg trestle for the vines to climb up too.

I'm debating getting a couple more deeper fabric pots, so that I can get some carrots going too. I'll probably get some greens going too. Unfortunately it's a bit too late for any squash though.

As it stands, I'm already getting pretty close to cost positive on this, so it's a win-win.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
with your hot peppers, once they start flowering if you cut back on the watering (without underwatering them) it'll help make them spicier.

I have quite a patio garden going:

-pepperocini
-jalapeno
-habanero
-ancho
-pasilla
-cayenne
-long cayenne
-yellow cayenne
-hot lemon
-baby belle
-basil

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The only other thing(s) I would add to your garden are:

Oregano
Rosemary

And I hope you have FRENCH tarragon, not that texas crud.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The only other thing(s) I would add to your garden are:

Oregano
Rosemary

And I hope you have FRENCH tarragon, not that texas crud.
Wifey picked out Texas. Tastes like isht.

I planted a bunch of carrots and lettuce seeds yesterday, so we'll see how well those sprout. I have a feeling I will be getting more pots soon.

I also got a bunch of worm poop fertilizer, so we'll see how well that works.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Wifey picked out Texas. Tastes like isht.
BLAH... Texas Tarragon is worthless. :thumbsdown:

One of the BEST summer dishes (IMO) is fresh heirloom tomatoes, salt, pepper, French tarragon and a little sherry wine vinegar.

French tarragon has a little bit of a licorice flavor, a little pepper flavor and a little mint... at least that is what my taste buds get from it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't use sage or tarragon much, but here are a bunch of suggestions for the former: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2010/05/45_things_to_do_with_fresh_sage.php

Lots of our herbs died over the winter due to all the rains in Socal. We had waaay more basil than could be used but it all died, as did the parsley and cilantro. And our rooster died last week (not too sad about that, to be honest). But we do have tomatoes (looking a bit meh, but tasting good), zucchini, mint, rosemary, lettuce, some Korean leaf thing my mother in law planted a ton of, scallions, peppers (not sure which kind as I didn't plant them), chives and oregano. And that's in addition to the lemon, orange, kumquat, pomello and grapefruit trees as well as some (crappy) grapes.

Too bad I'm moving into an apartment next month. :(

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I planted some carrot and lettuce seeds last week and just got my first sprouts. We'll see how many else pop up to determine if I'm going to need more pots.

My peppers seem to have stalled mid development. We went from a heat wave to a cold wave, so they are getting hammered by the weather. I am going to pick the largest one ~1.5" to have with some taco's later this week. I still need to make a mini-green house to keep the peppers in though.