Quantcast

Here comes the sun!!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
the only reasons I'm not on the trails:...no one wants to ride in the rain with me and I don't want to further damage any trails...but I mean I have a mountian bike.....you can ride it in all weather conditions....I could understand if you were on BMX or something...but I say get out there don't let the weather stop you....you now have the chace to learn new skills and be presented with new challenges in the wet...go for it...D

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Riding in the rain isn't the big deal, its tearing up the trails that is the problem. Don't go out and tear up the trails! The last thing that we need is to have more trails shut down (although I don't see trails being shut down because horses have torn them up and left 20 lbs. of crap in the middle of the trail, but that's another issue...)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I love riding in the rain. I just wish we had the kind of soil here in so cal that allowed us to do it. I guess I'll have to go do some urban in the rain.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
BMXman said:
the only reasons I'm not on the trails:...no one wants to ride in the rain with me and I don't want to further damage any trails...but I mean I have a mountian bike.....you can ride it in all wheather conditions....I could understand if you were on BMX or something...but I say get out there don't let the wheather stop you....you now have the chace to learn new skills and be presented with new challenges in the wet...go for it...D
well me and snipes287 allready tried it and in some places the waster was up to the seat collar on our bikes. and there was tons of places where it ws above your hubs. luckily the trails maintained themselves nicely and didnt have any ruts or anything....just small lakes

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
jeb4 said:
Riding in the rain isn't the big deal, its tearing up the trails that is the problem. Don't go out and tear up the trails! The last thing that we need is to have more trails shut down (although I don't see trails being shut down because horses have torn them up and left 20 lbs. of crap in the middle of the trail, but that's another issue...)
A couple storms ago I rode on a clear day, and some equestrians must have been riding earlier that day or the day before. They just trashed the trail with their horses. Deep hoof prints all up and down section of trails. If anyone should have limited access to trails it's horses.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
BMXman said:
the only reasons I'm not on the trails:...no one wants to ride in the rain with me and I don't want to further damage any trails...but I mean I have a mountian bike.....you can ride it in all weather conditions....I could understand if you were on BMX or something...but I say get out there don't let the weather stop you....you now have the chace to learn new skills and be presented with new challenges in the wet...go for it...D
I've never really found riding in the rain to be that much more difficult than when it's dry. Roots are probably the only exception. When roots are wet they are terrifying. If you don't hit them perpendicular you can go down so fast.

mealsonwheels said:
A couple storms ago I rode on a clear day, and some equestrians must have been riding earlier that day or the day before. They just trashed the trail with their horses. Deep hoof prints all up and down section of trails. If anyone should have limited access to trails it's horses.
Not that I want to start a pogrom against the hooved locusts :thumb: , but it'd sure be nice if you/we TOOK PHOTOS of that stuff and noted the location & day, etc...

This wet season is certainly going to involve douchebag cyclists thrashing muddy trails and the anti-bikers are smart enough to show up at meetings with stories of destruction and mayhem. The thing is, some of the anti-bikers are equestrians that cause way more damage on wet trails, so it would sure be nice for "the community" to have a supply of current evidence of the damage the horsemen cause when they ride (since rules don't apply to them).

Of course, we owe it to ourselves to keep our own user groups off wet trails, regardless of whether we're scared of being seen doing the right thing. The point is, if you're on trail and see major damage: take photos. Are you on trails and see horsemen riding in mud? Take photos, and note the location. Having evidence doesn't imply they shouldn't have access (it could, though), but rather helps blunt the Taliban's claims about dirty, unwashed mountainbikers that ruin trails by our mere presence.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
EBasil said:
Not that I want to start a pogrom against the hooved locusts :thumb: , but it'd sure be nice if you/we TOOK PHOTOS of that stuff and noted the location & day, etc...

This wet season is certainly going to involve douchebag cyclists thrashing muddy trails and the anti-bikers are smart enough to show up at meetings with stories of destruction and mayhem. The thing is, some of the anti-bikers are equestrians that cause way more damage on wet trails, so it would sure be nice for "the community" to have a supply of current evidence of the damage the horsemen cause when they ride (since rules don't apply to them).

Of course, we owe it to ourselves to keep our own user groups off wet trails, regardless of whether we're scared of being seen doing the right thing. The point is, if you're on trail and see major damage: take photos. Are you on trails and see horsemen riding in mud? Take photos, and note the location. Having evidence doesn't imply they shouldn't have access (it could, though), but rather helps blunt the Taliban's claims about dirty, unwashed mountainbikers that ruin trails by our mere presence.
I've never made it a habit of carrying a camera on all my rides, but I can do that to cover our butts with proper documentation.