Quantcast

Here forky forky forky...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Anyone want to help me find a new fork... under $400 please.

Trail fork mainly. It will be abused a little It will run completely through its travel and bottom out at least one or two times. The new fork will be replacing an 02 Manitou Black Elite which has served me fairly well, but it is time to check out the new shizz that is out there. Its going to be mounted on a Giant AC air that I typically run at 5" of travel in the rear.

Currently looking at a Manitou Splice, a Minute, and a FOX Vanilla 130.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Fox. I have had a Vanilla and a TALAS and both are awesome. Low maint. incredible performance and reasonable weight and price. I have always had really good luck with Fox and Marz and terrible luck with Manitou.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Cooter Brown said:
a Fox 36 or a 'Zocchi 66
I like the features but, those will run me damn near a grand. No good.
Digging the splice features/price still... anyone want to knock it off he top of my list?

100-130 mm wind down adjustable
Lockout
Compression dampening
rebound dampening
4.5 lbs
$350

Hell, maybe I just rebuild the Black again...all I get for $350 over what I already have is lockout and 10mm of travel and that wind down feature (which doesnt make the fork ultra stiff when you reduce the travel).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Golgi, save up to get the right fork. It will cost you a lot less then spending $350 for a fork, finding out you don't dig it and spending $600 later to get the right one.

One thing to decide is whether you want another QR fork or a 20mm axle. Because that affects your options/budget.

1, Fox Talas. killer travel adjust and quality damping.
2; Marzocchi AM1. ETA travel lockdown, TST travel tuning, great damping and 'zocchi reliablity
3, Rock Shox Pike. I'm shocked I'm suggesting a RS fork, but they feel really good. I like the Maxle system and u-turn.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have an RS Pike that I love. I also can't believe that I recommended a RS fork... but people change.

AND - if your interested, I have a brand new Minute 3 (the expensive one) that I pulled off my newest bike (to replace it with the Pike) that I've been to lazy to post for sale. I'd like to get $300 for it. :nopity:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
MMcG said:
So Golgi did you decide on a fork last night?
Not yet... going in at lunch to ride a few of them.

On the list to bounce around on is the Minute, Fox Vanilla, Splice, and the Pike if they have one. Someone listed the Marz all mountain, I'll be checlking it out if they have one mounted.

Zark: What you say is true, however, If I ride that splice and it feels good I'll have no problem buying it. Especially at that price. As for the QR or the Thru Axle... I'll stick with the QR, I dont want to go building a new wheel right now.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
golgiaparatus said:
Zark: What you say is true, however, If I ride that splice and it feels good I'll have no problem buying it. Especially at that price. As for the QR or the Thru Axle... I'll stick with the QR, I dont want to go building a new wheel right now.
I'd be concerned about the longevity of the splice. Lot's of lower end forks are made to feel good right out of the box, but wont hold up well on the trail.

And if your sticking with QR, that rules out the Pike.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
golgiaparatus said:
Fair enough. The splice has an unknown track record reliability wise and Manitou's seem to be hit and miss in quality. I'd rather get a used Marzocchi or fox for the same amount of coin personally.

QR forks are pretty stiff these days, you should be OK there.
Good luck on the shopping golgi, and look around in the used market ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Splice seems like the oddball in your short list Golgi - all the other forks are higher end models from their respective manufacturers whereas the Splice is a lower level type fork from Manitou is it not?

I'd give the Vanilla and the Minute serious consideration if you are staying with a QR fork.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
MMcG said:
The Splice seems like the oddball in your short list Golgi - all the other forks are higher end models from their respective manufacturers whereas the Splice is a lower level type fork from Manitou is it not?

I'd give the Vanilla and the Minute serious consideration if you are staying with a QR fork.
I agree with all of them about the Splice. Feels good on the test ride but fails on you later. I would say go with either a Fox or the Zocchi All Mountain. Thats an awesome fork.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I love my Pike but if you want a quick release axle then you might consider a Rock Shox Reba. From everything I've seen and read it appears to be a baby Pike. Less travel but all the other same features

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, if you are riding aggro XC, as opposed to FR, I always recommend Marz MX Pro. Coil one side, air the other, a decent weight at a decent price. Also has ETA, my favorite lockout system.

If FR is your style, the Vanilla is sweet.