Quantcast

Here goes Crazy Microsoft again.....this time with a new Image file format

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
SEATTLE--If it is up to Microsoft, the omnipresent JPEG image format will be replaced by Windows Media Photo.
The software maker detailed the new image format Wednesday at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference here. Windows Media Photo will be supported in Windows Vista and also be made available for Windows XP, Bill Crow, program manager for Windows Media Photo said in a presentation.
"One of the biggest reasons people upgrade their PCs is digital photos," Crow said, noting that Microsoft has been in contact with printer makers, digital camera companies and other unnamed industry partners while working on Windows Media Photo. Microsoft touts managing "digital memories" as one of the key attributes of XP successor Vista.
In his presentation, Crow showed an image with 24:1 compression that visibly contained more detail in the Windows Media Photo format than the JPEG and JPEG 2000 formats compressed at the same level.
Still, the image in the Microsoft format was somewhat distorted because of the high compression level. Typically digital cameras today use 6:1 compression, Crow said. Windows Media Photo should offer better pictures at double that level, he said. "We can do it in half the size of a JPEG file."
Linky

Why Microsoft? WHY?!

This is getting to be like the "International Disc Brake Standard" Why do we need so many "standards" for image files?

J

JRB

I don't mind IS for disc brakes. My ISCG guide tabs work too though.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
did you hit the "print" button?
Again - when cabled, printing works fine. I just can't print remotely. It's not like I can't pick the notebook up and plug it in. I even plan to just get a long USB cord.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, why are you concerned about this?

There's a thousand different file formats available, all easily convertable between each other, and most easily viewable by any image viewing application.

If you have a good compression algorithm, why not release it and allow people to use it? If it's good enough, I'll use it myself.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Give me a break...who runs out of disk space because of photos? If anything it's movies and music. Another proprietary file format like this will never pick up.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Sorry, why are you concerned about this?

There's a thousand different file formats available, all easily convertable between each other, and most easily viewable by any image viewing application.

If you have a good compression algorithm, why not release it and allow people to use it? If it's good enough, I'll use it myself.
Because Microsoft is TEH EVIL!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
Give me a break...who runs out of disk space because of photos? If anything it's movies and music. Another proprietary file format like this will never pick up.
Why does this have to be about running out of disk space?

Are you saying that ANYTHING that will transfer more data, faster, isn't a good thing? If you could have half the size for the same quality when you posted images online, wouldn't that reduce server loads?

It may or may not pick up, depending on how far MS pushes the support of it. If digital cameras start coming with the option to use the format and it's advertised as "storing 2x the images at the same quality", you know that a lot of consumers will use it.

I'm just sayin' that there's no reason to pan it just because it's MS. Let's see how it rolls out, first.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ridemonkey said:
It will pick up because so many people use windows and microsoft stuff. I'm sure they will introduce an integrated imaging program that automatically defaults to saving in the new format. Thats all it will take.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ridemonkey said:
I think alot of photogs do...I really dont ever delete pics, and shoot at full resolution...I am starting to see the size of my image files creeping up there...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
We do............... :( Every damn image is 3+MB. :eek: And my wife takes LOTS.
:stosh:

You'll spend $800 or whatever you spent on a D70+lens(es) but you won't spend another $100 on a 300gb drive to store your photos?

And don't even tell me you've got more than 75 thousand photos on there :p

J

JRB

binary visions said:

You'll spend $800 or whatever you spent on a D70+lens(es) but you won't spend another $100 on a 300gb drive to store your photos?

Dude - I'm amazed that hippie has a computer. Don't encourage him. If it fills up, he'll be shut down.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
Why does this have to be about running out of disk space?

Are you saying that ANYTHING that will transfer more data, faster, isn't a good thing? If you could have half the size for the same quality when you posted images online, wouldn't that reduce server loads?

It may or may not pick up, depending on how far MS pushes the support of it. If digital cameras start coming with the option to use the format and it's advertised as "storing 2x the images at the same quality", you know that a lot of consumers will use it.

I'm just sayin' that there's no reason to pan it just because it's MS. Let's see how it rolls out, first.
The biggest issue is that being MS it won't be an open format. This means there will be licencing fees for any non-ms app that wants to use the format, which means it won't be supported in non-ms apps any time soon, which means to use it you'll need ms software...seeing the evilness of the scheme now?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:

I can't put IDE drives in my computer. :o:

And SCSI disks are expensive. :mumble:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
Raw photos perhaps, but certainly not compressed photos.

This is just stupid.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
The biggest issue is that being MS it won't be an open format. This means there will be licencing fees for any non-ms app that wants to use the format, which means it won't be supported in non-ms apps any time soon, which means to use it you'll need ms software...seeing the evilness of the scheme now?
I understand the potential evilness :p. My point is that if it's good, it's worth using. It's not like there's some big process for converting between file formats - just selecting "JPG" in the drop down box will allow you to skip over this format.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
I can't put IDE drives in my computer. :o:

And SCSI disks are expensive. :mumble:
Why?

Are you running SCSI drives ONLY? If so, WHY?

What's up with your computer, hippy?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Ridemonkey said:
it will catch on because microsoft will force anybody running vista to use it

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
-Firewire - licensing fees required - $1 a port - Apple
-MP3 - licensing fees required - enforced by Fraunhofer and Thomson
-PDF - licensing fees required to implement third party solutions - Adobe
-JPEG - Various court cases for licensing fees - Forgent Networks
-DRM'd aac on a monopolitisic anti-fair use webstore (see Franch and Belgian court cases against Apple) - Apple, maker of the most popular CRAP (Content, Restriction, Annulment, and Protection)
-Apple bundling certain applications in OSX.
-Novell bundling certain applications in SUSE.
-And on and on

Hmm, Microsoft is the only company doing evil right :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
only 3MB per photo?

the RAW shots from the rebXT are ~7MB per shot.
I get 10-12mb raw shots, but have now backed off a bit on raw. I have 3 300mb external firewire drives.

It'd be nice to be able to post higher quality proofs at the same size though. I can see advantages to a better format, but as RM pointed out, MS isn't exactly charitable with things like this.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Didn't we hear the same thing how Windows Media whatever the hell it was was going to be soooo much better than .mp3?

Guess what all my files are?