Quantcast

Here is a little inspiration

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
TROUTMAN - Jake Rollings has a busy schedule at South Iredell High.

Starting cornerback on the football team.

Peer mediator, helping peacefully resolve disagreements.

Editor of Southwind, the school newspaper.

What Jake Rollings doesn't have -- a left arm -- doesn't get in the way of any of it. Rollings, a senior, was born with an arm that ends at the elbow. His determination doesn't end.
Rollings has 22 tackles and three interceptions in two games, including two in a 12-7 victory against rival Lake Norman last week. It ended the Vikings' 16-game losing streak.

"Jake's heart is a little bigger," Williams said. "He plays well. Really, he can do anything. His confidence comes from his nature. We've always told him Jesus made him special for a reason."

Marshall Stewart, who teaches English at South Iredell and is adviser for the newspaper, knows about disabilities. He's missing a leg.

Stewart jokes that he and Rollings complement each other. After the two interceptions against Lake Norman, Stewart dubbed him "One-Arm Bandit", which made Rollings laugh.

Stewart urged Rollings to try basketball this year. Maybe, Rollings said. Stewart can relate. He recently learned to ride a bike.

"Jake is a wonderful leader, a wonderful kid," Stewart said. "His handicap doesn't stop him. When he's typing, it's just as intense as someone with two hands. Jake is more determined. Not more determined to compensate, but to push himself."

Rollings hasn't worn a prosthetic since he was in sixth grade. Said it gets in the way.
He's not the speediest or flashiest Viking. He relies on positioning and knowing coverages.

Coach J.K. Adkins said he thinks opponents might be testing Rollings. He chuckles and says, "I hope they keep trying."

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
Jeremy R of all people to post in the depression.
Yeah, I know.
I average one serious post a year. I have met my quota.

BTW, I know that guy in your post.
He got in on a pick-up game we were playing one time.
I am glad he was on the other team though.
We were playing 2 hand touch, and that son of a biotch
did not make a tackle all day. ;)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, I know.
I average one serious post a year. I have met my quota.

BTW, I know that guy in your post.
He got in on a pick-up game we were playing one time.
I am glad he was on the other team though.
We were playing 2 hand touch, and that son of a biotch
did not make a tackle all day. ;)
Now that's better.

Where were you riding when you crashed?