Quantcast

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
i don't want to pretend that i know what you know. i hope you believe he was resisting arrest while under the influence after a high-speed (100+ mph) car chase in an urban area with 2 passengers, and the response was mostly proportionate (the last 30 seconds is a bit of a bugaboo). but given that he threw 2 officers attempting to arrest him & was unphased (hee!hee!) by a taser, i can see where a reasonable person - or 12 - could conclude the force used was appropriate.

no wonder derek vinyard was pissed
the nigge...err...negro had it coming?

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Ooops. Bold mine:
The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.
Guess he was hiding out in Nevada (not from the authorities) but b/c of death threats. Not explaining to investigators? Possibly on the advice of an attorney?

Another
Mehserle declined to speak to BART criminal investigators after the shooting. Then last Wednesday he resigned rather than answer questions from BART's internal affairs division.
Whole article here: SF Chron

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jeezus. I guess he's pretty much pissed everyone off--the BART cops are probably going to go with roasting him slowly over a spit since his abrupt resignation pretty much gives them carte blanche to disavow themselves of his conduct...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/14/BABQ15AD8U.DTL&tsp=1

Six weeks before fatally shooting BART passenger Oscar Grant, Officer Johannes Mehserle was involved in another nighttime confrontation that sent a 41-year-old passenger to the hospital.

The incident ended with Mehserle and three other officers grabbing Oakland resident Kenneth Carrethers, binding his arms and legs and taking him to a Pleasanton hospital. There, he was treated for face and chest bruises before being booked into county jail for resisting arrest.
Hmmm, a suspect charged with only "resisting arrest"? With bruises to the face and chest? And black?

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
he was just doing his job, don't question him, he is serving and protecting
Hmmm, a suspect charged with only "resisting arrest"? With bruises to the face and chest? And black?
I always found it interesting when I heard about folks charged with ONLY resisting arrest. I never understood why there was an issue of an arrest in the first place if there wasn't another charge to go alongside it. You law enforcement types care to eSpeculate on a reason why a guy would only be charged with resisting?

And even if he was in the wrong, I am sure he is just a bad apple. It isn't as if there is a pervasive culture of this sort of thing within the LEO community.

:poster_oops: did I post that?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
They don't book someone for every crime they may have committed for an arrest. Charges are put forth by the prosecutor. So if you were in a low-grade altercation and the cops show up, and you fight with them, they would probably just do it under resisting arrest.

RenegadeRick, is there nothing that's not a conspiracy in your world?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I always found it interesting when I heard about folks charged with ONLY resisting arrest. I never understood why there was an issue of an arrest in the first place if there wasn't another charge to go alongside it. You law enforcement types care to eSpeculate on a reason why a guy would only be charged with resisting?
MikeD said:
They don't book someone for every crime they may have committed for an arrest. Charges are put forth by the prosecutor. So if you were in a low-grade altercation and the cops show up, and you fight with them, they would probably just do it under resisting arrest.

I didn't realize this thread was about me.

Yeah, sorry, my bad.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Libra, actually.

Fair and Balanced, I is.

(And my bullying, as such, seems a little too passive-aggressive to really be bullying, no?)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
what Distraction Will You Choose To Employ That I've Pointed Out Your Contradiction? How Many Relationships Have You Ruined With Your Smug Inability To Humble Yourself In The Face Absolute Truth?

How's Your Personal Life?

What's It Like To Be Bitter, Paranoid, Ineffective, Uninfluential, Despondent, Hopeless, Invisible, And A Perpetual Disappointment?

How Many Times Have You Considered Suicide? Would You Go Out Like A Bitch With Pills, Or Would You Try To Impress Daddy By "doing It Right" With A Handgun?
Ha!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Funny you showed up after he says "squat in the bush."

Just sayin'.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
The plot thickens.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Oscar_Grant_punched_in_face_before_0125.html

Mehserle has been arrested and charged with murder, but (so far) the prosecutor has decided to extend professional courtesy to the other officers involved in the event, including one who punched Oscar Grant in the face, and another officer who witnessed it, who, according to the story, should have reported the officer's assault on Grant.

The family's attorney states that he believes that the first officer's conduct led to an escalation of the violence in the situation.