Quantcast

here is something to drool over

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
team issue. i was hoping they got the 09 40s too. but those will be soon.

i have no idea about the geo numbers, i would assume that the sizing is the s/m ones as they are all around my height.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I wish they made the toptube a little lower. That would be perfection.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Btw, do you know the shock size? I heard rumors they come with a pretty long shock size this time?

Mar 1, 2008
9.5" I think. The prototype feature in DIRT with Gee and Dan in Andorra had a curved top tube, which I preffered more, looked more sloping and smoother and less awkward. Did they keep the adjustable rear wheel mount to change up wheelbase sizing for the production run? If they did, that would make it adjustable headtube, rear brake mount, and wheelbase, pretty much my ideal DH rig.

Oh, and the chain guide compatibility for smaller rings as well, no more 44t front ring, eh?

Time to take out another "student" loan.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, curved looks soo much better. Great with the longer shock. Makes room for some changes.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i know the stroke is 3in, not sure about the eye to eye.

the bike is designed around a 38t ring now. dont think there are any compatibility issues now with chain guides.

its still got the adjustable wheel base.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i didn't take the pic. my friends took them.

two guys and one girl. all 3 from different countries. one from malaysia, one from indonesia and one from singapore.

the bikes are in malaysia, where they all train.

they are all ride for commencal and fox. two of them for the second season, the other the first season.

dhsean

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
Yep. love the Commencals but they are not for short people like myself. I'm rockin an 08 DHR. It's like the tried and true American Commencal. No complaints here.

tredhed

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Andorra
Btw, do you know the shock size? I heard rumors they come with a pretty long shock size this time?
Hi Pelo,

Shock Length : 9.5"(241.5mm)
stroke: 3" (76.5mm)

8"/200mm of rear travel

Top tube has been lowered about 20mm

BB height has not changed geometry-wise, but it is actually a bit lower cause there's more sag in the suspension, due to travel increase.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Henrik M

Chimp
Aug 26, 2004
Sweden
Hi Pelo,

Shock Length : 9.5"(241.5mm)
stroke: 3" (76.5mm)

8"/200mm of rear travel

Top tube has been lowered about 20mm

BB height has not changed geometry-wise, but it is actually a bit lower cause there's more sag in the suspension, due to travel increase.

Hope that helps!
tredhed: I see that you are from Andorra and seem to have inside info on the 09 supreme dh. Do you work for Commencal?

If you do would you mind posting some more geometry info on the production bike? What are the differences in geometry compared to the 08? It would be great to know the Head angle, Chainstay length, Wheelbase and Top tube lengths as well as Front center.

Jun 10, 2008
Minnesota
i know the stroke is 3in, not sure about the eye to eye.

the bike is designed around a 38t ring now. dont think there are any compatibility issues now with chain guides.

its still got the adjustable wheel base.

okay, they still would have looked better with a curved top tube but those still look really good. Sweet pics man!

tredhed

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Andorra
tredhed: I see that you are from Andorra and seem to have inside info on the 09 supreme dh. Do you work for Commencal?

If you do would you mind posting some more geometry info on the production bike? What are the differences in geometry compared to the 08? It would be great to know the Head angle, Chainstay length, Wheelbase and Top tube lengths as well as Front center.
Damn, they've found me! ;)

- The centre of gravity has been lowered a bit more then an inch
- A new tube set is used for the front triangle.
- The sloping top tube is lowered by about an inch on both sizes
- Head angle changes from 64.5° to 64° (in the median position), u can move it +/-1°
- Rear travel increases from 180mm/7” to 200mm/8”.
- Shock length increases from 222mm/8.74” to 240mm/9.5”.
- The bottom bracket width increases from 68mm to 83mm.
- A new 3-position rear disc mount is used.
- The frame has been designed so as to easily accept a majority of chain-guides available on the market. (ISCG 05)

TT length: around 23"(S/M) or 23.8" (L/XL)
Wheelbase: at its shortest setting, 45" (S/M) or 45.8" (L/XL). Adjustable by about 2/3rds of an inch
Chainstay length (same on both sizes): 17.3" - 17.9"

Not sure what you mean by front center measurement...?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
tredhed - could you explain the whole thing behind the 3 position disc mount and how it changes the braking characteristics of the bike?

front center is strictly the distance from the bb to the front axle, but i think the measurement that henrik means here is this one, measurement 'B':

Henrik M

Chimp
Aug 26, 2004
Sweden
Tredhed: Thank you for the info.

Dhkid is right, the measurement I was looking for when i said front center is the "B" measurement in the picture above.

Will the VIP framekits have the same colour and stickers as the team frames in this thread?

tredhed

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Andorra
Front to center (as you explain it) is 717mm (S/M) or 737mm (L/XL) with the 64° setting and a 585mm fork length.

Front to center as in the diagram (B) is 375mm (S/M) & 395mm (L/XL), although the engineers use the top of the head tube, not the bottom.

For the brake mount:

The three positions allow the rider to alter the handling balance of the bike in the braking phase of a run by harnessing various braking forces. Basically, it modifies the riders mass transfer and how it affects the bikes suspension balance, rear to front.

Depending on which position you use, the bike will either squat under braking (increasing stability and grip), stay neutral, or transfer mass to the front of the bike (good for fast "flat" runs when it can be difficult to get enough weight over the front of the bike). And yes, you can feel the difference. :)

Hope thats understandable?

Henrik M

Chimp
Aug 26, 2004
Sweden
Front to center (as you explain it) is 717mm (S/M) or 737mm (L/XL) with the 64° setting and a 585mm fork length.

Front to center as in the diagram (B) is 375mm (S/M) & 395mm (L/XL), although the engineers use the top of the head tube, not the bottom.
So just to clarify things the 375mm / 395mm numbers for (B) are horizontally from center of BB to center of the TOP of the HT, right? I think this is a better measurement than that in the diagram.

I have seen the pictures of the 09 bikes that you linked to but I couldn't make out what color the VIP supreme DH is. Is it green like the VIP supreme (old mini DH)?

tredhed

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Andorra
Yup, you've understood correctly (about the front center measurements).

The colour of the VIP DH is like CG's bike (green & white).