Quantcast

Here it is, the Reddish Knob trip on the 4th

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
BUCKET said:
Have you ridden those trails before?
I remember the road being very narrow but not anymore then most of the access roads I've dealt with elsewhere. I have ridden Timder ridge several times and California ridge. This was back in 96-98 though.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Scratch the 10 minutes it'll take to meet me in Staunton. I'll just be up at the park and ride by 9:30. I'm by myself by the way. I was bringing a friend with me, but he's backed out. Or at least I havent heard from him in like a week, so I'm assuming he's backing out. SO.. DONT stop in staunton just for me. I'll meet you all at the parking lot off 81 in H'burg. Woody, check your pm's

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
wannabeabonedoc said:
I'll meet you all at the parking lot off 81 in H'burg. Woody, check your pm's
Don't do that! We are meeting at the Bridgewater exit which is before you get to h'burg

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
BUCKET said:
You do know the rode to the top is one lane? If you have a trailer, then it's gonna be a nightmare getting it to the top - especially if you meet someone coming down the rode and there is no outlet close. Have you ridden those trails before?
There is no trailer and I have seen the road and if push comes to shove then two vehicles can work around each other. And it seems like you just don't want us to ride around in your area! Either, meet up with us and ride or quit being so negative! Either way, we will be there this Saturday and we will ride and we will have a fun time doing it!

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
When I say H'burg, I mean everything from Bridgewater up to Woodstock. So, I wont go to H'burg. I'll get off at exit 240 and wait for da peoples at the parking lot. See ya saturday suckas.
Oh, and I second the thoughts towards Bucket.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
BUCKET said:
Unfortunately, Flagpole is the easiest trail in the area to shuttle. What trails are you looking at? Reddish Knob is an area - not a trail.

Health reasons are keeping me from riding anywhere right now.
Flag pole is the easiest!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This thread is cracking me up. I say you guys get 1 run in tops. I also bet that you guys will be lost at some point on saturday. Seriosly please be careful I get the feeling that no one going on this trip has any idea where the trails are. I would hate to read in the sunday paper how 25 moutain bikers where eaten by bears

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Man, this is getting worse then the DH forum and the NorCal forum put together.

IMHO, its a rooster of a move not to come out and show some visitors around if you know the area. That's just me though.

After getting lost in rural MS, this doesn't worry me. Necessary precautions will be taken, it'll be all good.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
The right to arm bears, right!

I'm with BoneDoc, screw em if they can't find a good time on this ride. Bunch of dudes, big bikes, and a fat kid with at a minimum 3" of hanging crack. This has adventure in the sense of our forefathers and Davey Crockett written all over it.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
There won't be any "getting lost" happening on this trip, I can assure you that. This is small potatoes as far navigating goes compared to most of my adventures around here or anywhere else for that matter.

It's going to be a damn good time, I know that. I've never had a bad day out in the mountains biking with good company.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Preach it Brothers, preach it! It will be a fun day no matter what! A group of guys from all over the State are meeting up for the purpose of a fun day of socializing and bike riding.... and yea, we may get lost or lose some time due to getting everyone together but that is just part of the risk we are going to take inorder to turn this Saturday into something besides sitting around on our butts looking out the window wishing there was something to do!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Let us know how it all turns out. I hate to side with the negative Nancy's but I want to be realistic...

I haven't actually ridden the Timber ridge trail but I've looked at the topos and have ridden other trails in the immediate area. The first few miles are going to involve some serious pedaling and some decent climbs. It's a pretty long trail and pushing a DH bike is going to suck especially for those of you who might not be in the best shape. I would lean towards riding a trail bike.

Also there are several trails that turn off the Timber Ridge trail. If you are cruising down the trail it is very concievible that you may miss a turn or inadvertantly take a wrong turn and end up somewhere very distant from your shuttle vehicle. I assume somebody has one of the Nat Geo Trail maps and a compass right?

The shuttle road is narrow. Yes there are places to pass but take it easy. Don't try to make up lost time by speeding up and down the road. There are places on the ridge top near the knob that are 1 lane and sheer drops on both sides of the road.

It is a spectacular drive. I won't lie, it's freaking beautiful. Take that into account, there will be plenty of tourons up there milling around because it is so scenic. Remember to make a good impression. Like it or not you are representing the future of mountain biking.

I may be remembering wrong but it seems like it took somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes to drive from the knob to the bottom of the mountain. It may only be 15 or 20 miles but if your are only going 15 to 20 mph... do the math. Take that in to account for those of you who may be rushed for time.

Have a good time, be smart and safe. Write us a good trip report Monday morning!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Amen Woody, where did everyones sense of adventure go!? That is why I love to Mtn. Bike so much. I've ridden all over, and Reddish was no where near as confusing of disorienting as other nearby places such as the Big Levels area. I've spent enough time Fishing the feeder streams high into the headwaters going after brook trout in reddish to know all of the ravines as well. No matter where we come out, it will be one of two roads I'm familiar with. If it takes all day, screw it, all the better!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Woody, that idea about turning the fork around to get it up on the mount worked. It will be a breaze getting both out bikes on my car regardless of what fork you have on your VP free. I'm thinking you may want to use the minute though. :rofl:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
mud'n'sweat said:
Amen Woody, where did everyones sense of adventure go!? That is why I love to Mtn. Bike so much. I've ridden all over, and Reddish was no where near as confusing of disorienting as other nearby places such as the Big Levels area. I've spent enough time Fishing the feeder streams high into the headwaters going after brook trout in reddish to know all of the ravines as well. No matter where we come out, it will be one of two roads I'm familiar with. If it takes all day, screw it, all the better!

Sounds like you are set then. I agree adventure is awesome if you are prepared for the challenge and of course getting lost is half the fun. Like I said, write us up a good trip report and have a good time.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Not trying to be negative Im just haveing fun heckling you guys:love: . Im also pissed I cant join you:redhot: . That said just be careful I have gotten lost in the moutains before by taking a wrong turn. A 3 hour ride turned into a 6 hour hike. Just make sure everyone stays together espesialy if you see a fork in the trail.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OMG, this is by far the funniest thread!!!!! :rofl: Be forewarned, while Woody exudes a dense of adventure, and states y'all will have fun regardless, he can AND will be a killjoy, and share some of his outdoor adventure stories with you...for example, his twist on spring water and how it affects the workplace....:rofl:

Feel safe though, as woody is quite the frontiersman and leader in the woods. :thumb: And man...if he brings his banjo.....wow, y'all will have the time of your life! :thumb:

:p :D :rofl:

BE SAFE!!!

And please, take pics!

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Ok - I've gotten a few nasty PM's regarding this riding trip. I personally could care less if you ride the trails in this area; that is what they are there for. I'm just letting you know what to be prepared for.

Denjen - When I say Flagpole is easier to shuttle, I take into account all aspects of the shuttle. Like the road you are going to be driving on, and the trail itself - is the trail "point and shoot" or is it a lot of climbing involved. These trails have quite a bit of climbing involved, SO BE PREPARED!

And why do some of you guys start talking this negativity crap as soon as someone asks you a question? Lighten up - life is short.

jdschall made some very good points, please take them into consideration.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Look at it this way. You have to climb a few hundred feet or so (maybe 500?). But then you decend a few thousand feet. The end probably justifies the means if you are in anywhere near decent shape.

The comical part to me is that you'll probably come across some xc riders shuttling in reverse just to hit that several thousand foot climb you are so keen to descend! It takes all kinds...

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
There may be a bit of an admission price, but it will be a small fee for the rewards. :) (I'm talking about climbing here!)

I have been talking with Woody about a route we are going to go after. It stems off a trail I have ridden a couple times and appears to be mainly full descent oriented. Either way it works out, the day will be epic. Amazing scenery, good people, great weather, good times! Someone did bring up a good point that I did want to address. At every fork, if anyone takes off in a lead, stop! Stop at every fork and wait for EVERYONE in our group before deciding the route and continuing on. We are not leaving ANYONE behind no matter what. If we come to some climbs, and you want to try and clean them, that is totally fine, but wait at the top for everyone else. This is a day of fun riding, but more importantly, good company and meeting up with fellow riders that share our common passion!

I'm very excited. I really wish a few more of you were coming along, but I understand if you can't. SK6, Denjen, Dartman and everyone I'm forgetting will be missed, but we promise to bring home some good stories and pic's!

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Tattooo said:
Man, this is getting worse then the DH forum and the NorCal forum put together.

IMHO, its a rooster of a move not to come out and show some visitors around if you know the area. That's just me though.
You think the DH forum is bad? Is it because most of the guys over there aren't interested in the mindless dribble that you post? :rolleyes:

I guess I'm pulling a rooster of a move then.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Bucket, I'm not making a judgement on you as a person, since I don't know you and have never hung out with you, but your post come across as extremely arrogant, negative and elitist. You could be the complete opposite, but that is the problem with the internet.... there is no real way to portray tone and sometimes things come across the wrong way. That is the reason you are being met with these comments.

Just thought I'd try and give a more objective view of how you come across as you could not be trying to do that at all.

Anyways, take it easy everyone, it's just the internet!

All that matters is the sense of community and fun we enjoy together. This is suppose to be a common thread, not a division bell :)

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Can someone please rack themselves for me, im talking like 20 feet of flying through the air, and 100 feet of rolling. Or a nut banger, head cruncher, booby pincher, shock snapping, fork bustin, frame bending, racktasticle! Just take that into consideration?:) Bring back good pictures also, not so much of crack pics though.:rolleyes:

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
mud'n'sweat said:
Bucket, I'm not making a judgement on you as a person, since I don't know you and have never hung out with you, but your post come across as extremely arrogant, negative and elitist. You could be the complete opposite, but that is the problem with the internet.... there is no real way to portray tone and sometimes things come across the wrong way. That is the reason you are being met with these comments.

Just thought I'd try and give a more objective view of how you come across as you could not be trying to do that at all.

Anyways, take it easy everyone, it's just the internet!

All that matters is the sense of community and fun we enjoy together. This is suppose to be a common thread, not a division bell :)

If you are referencing the post to Tattooo, then yes I was being sarcastic.

My friends who know me - most certainly know that I am far from what you have mentioned. If I have to be met with these comments for asking questions, then so be it. I haven't been negative in this thread at all - I've only tried to be informative.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
No worries, like I said, you could be the complete opposite of how you come across which I don't doubt one bit. That said, it'd be one thing if one or two people thought you came across that way, but unfortunately it's not the case as many people have mentioned it on here.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I hope y'all have a great time and I'll miss being there. I'll have to catch the next session and bring J-man once he gets his new Turner DHR built up.

Does anyone have a set of those FRS/GMRS radios? They might be useful to keep together incase some one has a mechanical or takes a wrong turn.

Be smart and have fun!!!

Mike

Feb 5, 2006
Chester, Va.
VaNIlLin81 said:
Can someone please rack themselves for me, im talking like 20 feet of flying through the air, and 100 feet of rolling. Or a nut banger, head cruncher, booby pincher, shock snapping, fork bustin, frame bending, racktasticle! Just take that into consideration?:) Bring back good pictures also, not so much of crack pics though.:rolleyes:
:rofl:

LMAO!!!! I dont care who you are, that has got to be the most random, most stupid, yet hilariously funny thing I've ever read.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Dartman said:
Does anyone have a set of those FRS/GMRS radios? They might be useful to keep together incase some one has a mechanical or takes a wrong turn.
Unfortunately I don't. I wish I did. I should have bought some at cost when we were selling them here at work. I just didn't realize we were going to stop carrying them.