Quantcast

Here's a car that I would get

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Car that runs on compressed air

(CNN) -- A Korean company has created a car engine that runs on air.

The engine, which powers a pneumatic-hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), works alongside an electric motor to create the power source.

The system eliminates the need for fuel, making the PHEV pollution-free.

Cheol-Seung Cho, of Energine Corporation, told CNN the system is controlled by a computer inside the car, which instructs the compressed-air engine and electric motor what to do.

The compressed air drives the pistons, which turn the vehicle's wheels.

The air is compressed using a small motor, powered by a 48-volt battery, which powers both the air compressor and the electric motor.

Once compressed, the air is stored in a tank, Cho said.

"The compressed air is used when the car needs a lot of energy, such as for starting up the car and acceleration. The electric motor comes to life once the car has gained normal cruising speed."

He said the system was relatively simple to manufacture and could be easily adapted to any conventional engine system.

"You could say our car has two hearts pumping. That is, we have separate motors running at different times, both at the time when they can perform most efficiently."

Cho also said the system could reduce the cost of vehicle production by about 20 percent, because there was no need to build a cooling system, fuel tank, spark plugs or silencers.

Cho hoped to see PHEVs on streets in the near future.

Peter Kemp, editor of "Petroleum Intelligence Weekly," told CNN that one of the biggest challenges for the invention was persuading the general public to embrace it.

"For this invention to take off, you'd need to get the backing of a major manufacturer. The major manufacturers that are looking at hybrid motors at the moment are looking at fuel cells -- battery with a gasoline diesel combination," he said.

Kemp said Toyota, which has released a hybrid car, had sold about 150,000 of the environmentally friendly model worldwide.

"But that is over several years. There is a lot of demand for that car but that is the only one that is really available and nobody knows whether Toyota is making any money out of it."

Sounds more affordable AND better for the air! :eek: I hope this car hits the streets soon if it is as good as it sounds.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I dont care, a car's a car. If it is cheap and doesnt hurt the environment, it's worth it to me. As long as it can get me places and can carry my bike. Think about it, never having to stop and get gas... not having to pay for gas... you can save a TON of money never having to refuel! I'm all for money saving so I can spend more on my bikes. :)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Question: If the car's air tank is filled by a electric compressor and also has an electric motor don't you have to plug it in and recharge the batteries?

I want to know recharge time and range. If those aren't reasonable its not gonna happen.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Psychic_Pimp said:
They're both full of hot air.

steam is not the same as "hot air"... :nuts:

by the way, i also wonder what is the mechanical efficiency of that thing.. i mean.. firstable having a electric motor compressing the air, and then using the air to move cylinders... kinda adds un-efficiency...

Neither is compressed air. Although compressing air does generate heat, further decreasing the efficiency of the machine.

Definition;
hot air
n. Slang

Empty, exaggerated talk.

Vast quantities of that around here.

I wonder what the main means of generating electricity is in Korea. Nice clean coal?