Quantcast

Here's a whacky bike problem

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I got my mtx right? Well while riding on the street the other day I heard this creaking. I don't get to ride dirt as I get home at 6pm every night and work does not want me to have fun and ride dirt. I hope everyone that works in this place dies of brain cancer. Ok, now that that's out of the way. I tightened all the linkage bolts, greased and cleaned everything and still creaking. I have found the source of the creaking and this is whack. It's coming from the middle of the top tube. I temporarily removed the front derailleur cable from the top tube to make sure that that wasn't the source of the problem and it was not. It's coming from the middle of the top tube. There are no cracks in the tube or the welds. Any ideas?
PHUCKING ALUMINUM. I haven't even ridden this bike.
Should I be concerned or just ride the thing till it breaks? Oh, and this problem starts just in time as I just got my 5th element coil. JHFC, anybody know how to program a 5th element shock? WTF?

Knuckle

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well here's the thing. I sit on the bike and compress the shock. When I release pressure and stand up slowly, the creaking starts. It's not the shock as the bike was doing this with the 5th element air shock. Last night I put on the 5th element coil and same thing. I can actually feel the creaking in the top tube. No where else on the bike can I hear this creaking. I actually used my wifes stethoscope and put it all over the bike and had her sit on it and releast pressure slowly and it's definitely coming from the top tube. Weird ha? I analyzed every weld on the bike with a magnifying glass too. No cracks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RE: the 5th element, visit Progressive's website and download the manual.

RE: the creaking, I seriously doubt it's coming from the middle of the top tube. The hollow tube might be transmitting the noise from elsewhere, which would lead me to believe it's probably your headset/headtube/fork area.

Flip the bike upside-down, take the wheel off, and flex the fork legs fore/aft. If there's a crown/stanction/something problem, you'll hear it creak.

Can you determine when it creaks while you're riding? When you're laying down power on the pedals? Pushing down hard on the bars?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say considering how overbuilt that bike is, and how little you said it's ridden, I'm 98% sure it's something stupid like an ungreased piece of metal. Headset cups maybe?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Saw your latest post.. Sounds like the linkage if it's doing it when the bike uncompresses. Rip the linkage to bits, grease all the bolts, and re-assemble.

Check all the shock hardware too.

I'm still betting that the top tube is just transmitting the sound, rather than generating it.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
binary visions said:
Saw your latest post.. Sounds like the linkage if it's doing it when the bike uncompresses. Rip the linkage to bits, grease all the bolts, and re-assemble.

Check all the shock hardware too.

I'm still betting that the top tube is just transmitting the sound, rather than generating it.
Yeah, makes sense. But what's weird is that I can actually put my fingers on the tube and feel it creak. It will still do that even if it's coming from elsewhere?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Knuckleslammer said:
It will still do that even if it's coming from elsewhere?

Yep.

Also, regrease the seatpost.

Grease the contact points in the headset. What kind of headset do you have? Could be the contact between the stem and headset cup.

Check to make sure the crown race isn't loose.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
This is also a possibility. I have seen it a few times over the years and sounds like what you are talking about. It sounds like the top tube has miter problem. When they miter a tube to fit another for welding it has to be a tight fit. If there is a substantial gap where the two tubes meet and then they are welded, there can be creaking from the the frame itself. If thats the case, it's definitely a warranty issue, if you are the original owner. Then again some companies will let that slide. Just my $.02