Quantcast

Here's to a new beginning.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
I've decided to go all out and change the way I look. Last night I went ahead and spent the money to purchase the Anthony Ellis Mass Gaining program (www.skinnyguy.net). Come 12-14 weeks from now I hope to have a completely different body. This guy has an excellent website to accompany the program. Merry Early X-mas to me. I'll be posting on my progress on my personal website and the programs website. I'm tired of being a skinny guy. :angry: :D

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Soon people will be calling you "meat" like they do to me.

COUGH COUGH PARTSABARA COUGH COUGH.

I've always been an easy gainer though, I put on about 35 pounds from when I started working out.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
good luck man, buildin the muscles is hard work but very rewarding

in fact i just got back from the gym!

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Why would anyone ever want to gain mass? Do you want to be slower and spend more money on food? Seriously.
Umm...because I'm only 135 lbs.?! Additionally, I really won't be spending more money on food, I'll actually probably be eating the same amount as I usually do, just spaced out into 6 meals a day. I think I can put on 30-35lbs. of muscle ('cuase God knows I've got like 0% fat on my body), and not be slow. How does stronger = slower?.....???? I'm not planning on looking like a meat head...just healthier.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
heavier=slower

I know you could make significant strength gains with a well designed sport specific resistance training program, and I guarantee you would'nt put on more than 5 lbs of additonal lean mass.

If you gain 35 pounds I absolutely garaunatee you that the additon of significant non-functional mass will make you slower, raise your metabolism and generally be pointless, but hey thats just my opinion...

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
heavier=slower

I know you could make significant strength gains with a well designed sport specific resistance training program, and I guarantee you would'nt put on more than 5 lbs of additonal lean mass.

If you gain 35 pounds I absolutely garaunatee you that the additon of significant non-functional mass will make you slower, raise your metabolism and generally be pointless, but hey thats just my opinion...
Umm....I HAVE an extremely high metabolism. THAT is why I'm doing this program. I eat like a pig and cannot gain anything and it takes me 6 months to put on 10 lbs. of muscle (the only way I can gain weight). I'm not a racer nor do I care to be. I ride bikes because I enjoy it. ..and the funny thing is..my buddy that is 50lbs. more than me and is DEFINATELY not as strong as I am, always beats me when we compete in DS races. We are both totally on the same riding level too (if anything, I'm better...not to toot my own horn). Food for thought.

...additionally...how is muscle non-functional mass? Yes, heavier = slower...but that is not what I said. I said stronger is not = to slower. with muscle comes weight. The added strength you gain supercedes the mass of the muscle itself.

As you can see, I'm not exactly a big guy:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I could wax poetic about the laws of physics bu there are two distinct facts here that need to be nailed down.

1. If you gain muscle mass your metabolism must increase, this is a corollary to the law of thermodynamics. To maintain your body weight at 175 pounds you will need to consume more energy.

2. Your power to weight ratio will plummet dramatically if you gain 35 pounds of mass, especially if it is mostly upper body mass.
It is axiomatic that at some point there is a optimal weight for a specific athelete for a specific sport, and if you gained 35 pounds you would have exceeded that break-even point significantly.

Ask Acadian why he only weighs 145lbs now when he used to be 235 how he feels about excessive BM.

135lbs is just a meaningless number. If you take the time to evaluate your functinonal capacities and i bet you would see that they are sufficent, and at most a moderate increase in mass would be of assitance, I mean you can use it as padding in a crash...

Only bike specific training will make you a better bike rider.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
I could wax poetic about the laws of physics bu there are two distinct facts here that need to be nailed down.

1. If you gain muscle mass your metabolism must increase, this is a corollary to the law of thermodynamics. To maintain your body weight at 175 pounds you will need to consume more energy.

2. Your power to weight ratio will plummet dramatically if you gain 35 pounds of mass, especially if it is mostly upper body mass.
It is axiomatic that at some point there is a optimal weight for a specific athelete for a specific sport, and if you gained 35 pounds you would have exceeded that break-even point significantly.

Ask Acadian why he only weighs 145lbs now when he used to be 235 how he feels about excessive BM.

135lbs is just a meaningless number. If you take the time to evaluate your functinonal capacities and i bet you would see that they are sufficent, and at most a moderate increase in mass would be of assitance, I mean you can use it as padding in a crash...

I will review:

1.) I already have an extremely high metabolism. The program is designed to eat the right things at the right time to compensate for that and make use of your body’s natural production of hormones. The consumption of more energy is correct. The problem is I'm not eating properly. Your body can only absorb so much per sitting. Hence the six meals (three meals spaced out...pretty much equaling the same amount of calorie intake that I get now). I'm well aware of what I need to do. If you need to better understand the program, visit www.skinnyguy.net

2.) I am not training for biking. I'm doing this to improve my body and make myself look better. I'm in no way, shape, or form doing this to improve my biking. I repeat, I AM IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM DOING THIS TO IMPROVE MY BIKING. I understand how to work out, I understand how to improve my biking skills. If I want to improve at my biking, I ride my bike.

3.) I'm not trying to make myself fat. I'm doing this to improve the look of my body, to eat healthier, and exercise some health discipline. Nobody said I was only going to be improving my upper body and leaving myself with chicken legs. If you know anything, you know that your legs hold some of the largest muscles in your body, and by stimulating the growth of those muscles you also stimulate growth throughout the rest of your body. I feel that 30 lbs. of muscle is a moderate increase. ...and either way...how can you judge my power to weight ratio without knowing my height?

4.) If you ain't got anything positive to say, don't say anything at all. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
You don't need to go all scientific here, it's simple, he just wants to look better without a shirt on so he can pick up chicks!

Bonk, how tall are you? I approve the muscle building, I'm planning on putting a bit of weight on this winter, tired of the skinny white guy thing going for me. Definitely won't be getting huge, just be able to toss the bike around off of the jumps.

Is that picture from Aptos? It looks like a dual type course they have at the post office there.

Good luck in the quest at un-skinniness!

The Ito

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by ito
You don't need to go all scientific here, it's simple, he just wants to look better without a shirt on so he can pick up chicks!

Bonk, how tall are you? I approve the muscle building, I'm planning on putting a bit of weight on this winter, tired of the skinny white guy thing going for me. Definitely won't be getting huge, just be able to toss the bike around off of the jumps.

Is that picture from Aptos? It looks like a dual type course they have at the post office there.

Good luck in the quest at un-skinniness!

The Ito
I'm 5'9.5". If you haven't had much luck trying to put on musccle/weight, you might also want to give this program a try. It has a lifetime $$ back dealie too. The only reason why I jumped on it...well that and because it doesn't have you doing a lot os stupid stuff. Everything seems logical and the guys website that you get access too has everythiong you could possibly need to help you along your way. Including a board just like RM full of people just like me to help eachother along.

The picture is from CPX down in Joliet.

Thanks for the positive encouragement. I wish you the best also.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by laura
that about sums it up!

and over what?

silly people. I say all to his own.

oh, and i have been gaining mass and it hasn't slowed me down at all. In fact i can go faster cuz i can get over stuff that i couldn't before.:)

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by Mag204
that about sums it up!

and over what?

silly people. I say all to his own.

oh, and i have been gaining mass and it hasn't slowed me down at all. In fact i can go faster cuz i can get over stuff that i couldn't before.:)
PREACH ON MY BRUTHA! :D I don't know what that guy was trying to prove? Was he prematurely call me a meathead?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Seriously - there is no need for you to put on weight. Some guys are just skinny and in the long run that a good deal. You may not feel that way now but when you are old enough to look back you'll appreciate where you are now.

The muscles you aquire by adding mass for mass' sake will not be particularly useful in an athletic sense... you would be better off refining what you have - a lean body with an excellent power/weight ratio.

Your mind is made up anyway so good luck to you.

FYI when I was in highschool I weighed a buck twenty, at the end of college I was 145 and now I am 165. I am not overweight in the sense of being fat but I am hampered by 10 extra pounds that serous effect my power to weight ratio.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
well hell i am 170 and i struggled to get here!
i run or spin 3 times a week and lift on the off days. I never fast food and i only drink pop once on a great while! I don't like candy very much so most of my food is healthy all around so when i want to get mass it's cuz i want to get stronger!!! Not just get all big and thick. Plus as long as you keep the rutine up you'll be fine.

Oh, and streach a lot.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by Mag204
well hell i am 170 and i struggled to get here!
i run or spin 3 times a week and lift on the off days. I never fast food and i only drink pop once on a great while! I don't like candy very much so most of my food is healthy all around so when i want to get mass it's cuz i want to get stronger!!! Not just get all big and thick. Plus as long as you keep the rutine up you'll be fine.

Oh, and streach a lot.
Yeah, the program involves a lot of stretching too.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002

I'm a good 45 pounds heavier than when I ran track, but I'm faster now despite all the extra mass. *gasp* I'm a distance runner too! 7:24 1.5 mile in my last IST. I'm not doing any specific training for anything either, just lifting some big ol' heavy weights. Sport specific training is, in my not humble opinion, for racer use only.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Jorvik
I'm a distance runner too! 7:24 1.5 mile in my last IST.
You call that distance??? Wahahahhaha. :D

That translates to a 4:55 mile... and you say you have lots of muscle mass and don't do any running specific training??? :think: :nope:

No one runs a sub 5 mile without specific training. ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I say good luck !

I am too working on putting some mass/muscles on myself,

and as far as faster/slower, I know in a several DH races I did last year there was sections were I could definitely have been faster if I had more upper body strength

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Bonk
As you can see, I'm not exactly a big guy:
No, but you sure as hell are sexy :love: ;) :p

This may be just a rough guess, but I'm thinking you probably aren't a very tall guy to be around 135...because in that picture I wouldn't describe you as small, simply fit. I briefly dated a guy who was a high alpine climber, about 6'2" tall and weighed in around 155 while we were dating. (so uber skinny), but that's just the way his body was. When he trained for a climb however, he did do the metabolism decreasers, as prescribed by his doctor, in order to put the right kind of muscle mass on so as not to literally disintigrate on a mountain top.

Unless you're going to go do something extreme like that, there's really no reason to be pumping your body full of chemicals. If you're built small and compact, than live it up! and enjoy the advantage you have over larger guys. and if you don't race, why the heck do you care if the bigger guy who weighs more than you gets down the hill faster simply due to gravity.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You call that distance??? Wahahahhaha. :D

That translates to a 4:55 mile... and you say you have lots of muscle mass and don't do any running specific training??? :think: :nope:

No one runs a sub 5 mile without specific training. ;)
Well, I run a lot with my neighbor (huge enduro running buff, always ranks pretty well in the Boston Marathon, especially for a Master). Or did before my recent knee debacle that is.

I agree that that was a little girl distance too, but it is just part of the Initial Fitness Test for the Marines. Anything under 5 miles is just a warmup.

That time is legit too, straight from the Staff Sergeant who was timing the run. .75 miles down .75 miles back. The other fit guys were hitting it around 9 minutes. The slow as whale poo guys were around 12 minutes. Normal times for an IST. Its a 4:54 pace I believe too, not 4:55 ;)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by Jorvik
Well, I run a lot with my neighbor (huge enduro running buff, always ranks pretty well in the Boston Marathon, especially for a Master). Or did before my recent knee debacle that is.

I agree that that was a little girl distance too, but it is just part of the Initial Fitness Test for the Marines. Anything under 5 miles is just a warmup.

That time is legit too, straight from the Staff Sergeant who was timing the run. .75 miles down .75 miles back. The other fit guys were hitting it around 9 minutes. The slow as whale poo guys were around 12 minutes. Normal times for an IST. Its a 4:54 pace I believe too, not 4:55 ;)
Sounds like you've got a good running partner there. If you can bust out a 4:54 pace your faster than most of the folks out there who train, especially if that's without much training. Some people have all the luck :angry: I went through a season of cross country and then track and could never get under 5 minutes consistently. We'll see if I can break it when I get back from my knee injury.

Marine too? My cousin just came back from boot camp, she broke her leg in training, they sound rather intense, to say the least.

The Ito

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Not a Marine yet. Jan 20 is when I leave for Boot Camp. Looking forward to it.

I found that Track really didn't help my times when I did them. I was always hovering a hair under 5 - 4:58 was my HS PR. It wasn't until I started running LONG distance with my neighbor FAST. My mile PR is 4:43. If only I could've done that when I was running track, I would've made states.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Acadian
well I went through all the "weight" spectrum...

from 170 to 210 to 265 back down to 180 and now 145...

I've tried all those kits, protein powders, supplements, etc... for the most part, for me they don't work! I get more energy eating good food than downing protein shakes. Granted I still eat those Met-Rx protein bars now and then, I simply get all my energy from basic food.

I also don't worry about my weight anymore...but one thing is for sure, I never want to weight over 200 lbs ever again!!
WOW! I knew that you went through your gains and losses, but that is a 120lb weight loss! Did you do anything besides workout, ride and eat right? How long did it take you to get from 265 to 180?

I say do it Bonk. Whatever makes you happy. Don't go crazy on us thought. :)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Hey Jorik ...aren't you going to have to loose all that weight once you get into the Marines? The whole "Lean and Mean" ethic? I remember hearing that they don't care if you have 4% body Fat or 25% body fat...if you are over their weight limit for your height they put you in the fat camp until you loose it. If you don't you don't graduate boot.

Oh I guess I'm one of those slow as whale guys...I just checked my 1.5 mile time and it was 12:30...I wasn't going all out...but I felt that I was going at a fair clip.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Almost done reading the 240 page book for the program. Just showed it to my friend (the one I spoke of earlier in the thread) today and looks like he is going to order it (for the fat loss portion of the program) and do the program with me. He's supposed to get a membership to my health club for X-mas. Rock! I've got a workout buddy/spotter/mutual motivator now! :)

BTW, there is also a possibility I may be on a new MTV show too...called True Life: I want the perfect body.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good luck, Bonk! Pay no attention to the naysayers. If you want to add some lean body mass to make yourself look and feel better, absolutely go for it! Contrary to popular belief around here, not everything has to be about what's best for your mountain biking. If adding some muscle will make you feel better about yourself and more confident, that's what really matters. I'd gladly exchange some speed on the bike for 15 more pounds of muscle mass. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I was a competitive racer, but I just ride the bike for fun. :cool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Acadian
A) His little box he just bough ain't cheap either...
B) Who says it's not going to cause side effects (long or short term)?
C) Nobody has to know!
A)Makes your nuts shrink!!
B)Makes your nuts shrink!!
C)Makes your nuts shrink!!

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Hey Jorik ...aren't you going to have to loose all that weight once you get into the Marines? The whole "Lean and Mean" ethic? I remember hearing that they don't care if you have 4% body Fat or 25% body fat...if you are over their weight limit for your height they put you in the fat camp until you loose it. If you don't you don't graduate boot.

Oh I guess I'm one of those slow as whale guys...I just checked my 1.5 mile time and it was 12:30...I wasn't going all out...but I felt that I was going at a fair clip.
They do indeed go by a hight/weight scale. For my height, I'm all set still. There are still waviers you can get for being too heavy for your height as long as your BF is below a certain percentage. It used to be just the height/weight scale a little while ago, but they include the waviers now. And going to PCP (physical conditioning platoon, or pork chop platoon) is not in my future. I'm not going to be bulking now, as I leave Jan 20. I'll still lose a crap load of weight down there, as you never get enough calories for all the exercising you do. Expect to see me at least 15 pounds lighter when I come back.