Quantcast

Hermaphratire

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Quite frankly I don't think Panaracer is anything more than a name brand any more than Bontrager and both are obviously made by the same company of a totally different name? The tire guru I'm sure could fill us in. But how that Bontrager transfer got on there in addition to the full Panaracer billboard I thought was very weird. I just hope it doesn't wobble or be weird on the bike because of it! For now I will just set it beside my redwall Notos on the "wall of whatever".

Along those lines I have a few rides in on a full set now and they are good tires for sure. I have them mounted on an old Supercal with a Reba and there is not much room in the rearend and I can get it to rub some climbing. It does well in the front but still not earth shattering for my "I need all the help I can get to stay upright" style of riding. I am still awaiting a tire of about that same volume but with a flatter profile, with good deep edge knobs. Maybe the new Spec tire will be the one.....

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Quite frankly I don't think Panaracer is anything more than a name brand any more than Bontrager and both are obviously made by the same company of a totally different name? The tire guru I'm sure could fill us in. But how that Bontrager transfer got on there in addition to the full Panaracer billboard I thought was very weird. I just hope it doesn't wobble or be weird on the bike because of it! For now I will just set it beside my redwall Notos on the "wall of whatever".

Along those lines I have a few rides in on a full set now and they are good tires for sure. I have them mounted on an old Supercal with a Reba and there is not much room in the rearend and I can get it to rub some climbing. It does well in the front but still not earth shattering for my "I need all the help I can get to stay upright" style of riding. I am still awaiting a tire of about that same volume but with a flatter profile, with good deep edge knobs. Maybe the new Spec tire will be the one.....
Panaracer is one of the few tire companies that owns and operates their production facilities. They also product tires for other companies, obviously Bontrager being one of them.

Bontrager uses several vendors to produce their tires. I have current models made in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand. Panaracer has plants in the first two but not Thailand AFAIK.

BTW Panaracer's (AKA National Tire Company) parent company is the industrial giant Panasonic.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
So, Panaracer is just a brand name for the National Tire Co. that is the main company and makes tires for anyone with the need and enough $$ perhaps, but it is only a subsidary of Panasonic:huh: . Oh what a tangled web the bike industry weaves.....

But what bored employee there knowing absolutely nothing of the outerworkings of especially the 29" tire market took the time to stick that Bontrager transfer on that tire and perhaps only that tire? That is where the tangled web gets weird and we'll probably never know why. Nor should we care:monkeydance:

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
So, Panaracer is just a brand name for the National Tire Co. that is the main company and makes tires for anyone with the need and enough $$ perhaps, but it is only a subsidary of Panasonic:huh: . Oh what a tangled web the bike industry weaves.....

But what bored employee there knowing absolutely nothing of the outerworkings of especially the 29" tire market took the time to stick that Bontrager transfer on that tire and perhaps only that tire? That is where the tangled web gets weird and we'll probably never know why. Nor should we care:monkeydance:
Hardly "just" a brand name. It is THE brand name for National's bicycle tires. Every tire has "National Tire Company, LTD" molded on the sidewall. They own their factories. They have an engineering staff. They are bike guys. Nothing they do is just think of a cool looking tread pattern then find somebody to make it on whatever casing from whatever is cheap (just the most low-end tire brands are done this way).

To say Panaracer is "only" a subsidiary is doing both them and Panasonic a great disservice. That other companies go to them for engineering help and production of high-end tires is a tribute to their capabilities. Would be like saying Subaru is only a subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries.
That Panaracer is part of Panasonic means they have the resources to get things done. Even though the Rampage 29 is late by the first promised dates it was still announce many months after and delivered sooner than several other tires from other companies - including one company that makes their own stuff.

The mis-labeling happened in an Asian factory with non-English speaking staff (normal). That a few of the wrong decals got into the system and applied is understandable when they are being pressured to deliver this highly-sought model that was air shipped here. If ithe demand was not so great they may have scrapped this tire. As it is, it is not a functional defect.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006

kinda like how Mitsubish makes cars, tuna in cans and huge construction equipment LOL

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
shiggy;2326747 To say Panaracer is "only" a subsidiary is doing both them and Panasonic a great disservice. [/QUOTE said:
Jeez, I hope I haven't done anything to hurt their 4th quarter profits.

In the end, their "bike guys" after knowing about the need for a true 2.3 or better tire for at least the last 6 years, finally are the first ones to make the whiff of a tire that has been clamored about endlessly by a burgeoning market and after a ton of hype on the boards have good success selling a run of 500 or so tires. Until the next better tire comes along, and believe me there will be one. Pretty small potatoes if you ask me in the grand scheme of things.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Bontrager has tires made by a bunch of different companies. Both the bontrager and specialized high end road tires are made by Vittoria/Lyons. Most of their low end seems to come from Korea. Maxxis makes most of the Specialized mountain tires which makes them an even better deal to me.

I see thousands of bike tires a year and have never seen a mistake like that before.