Quantcast

Hernia surger....

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
just wondering how many of you :monkey:'s out there have had that. i just got home from mine and it doesn't hurt too bad...yet.

what sucks is i was planning on hitting the monkey fest at pisgah but i dont think i am going to have time to recover enough other than to do anything but just camp...and i know i wouldnt be able to do just that and would end up riding and hurting myself so now i am going to miss it ....damnit!!!

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I'm on number two. The last one that I had in May of last year recovered much faster than my first. I was back on the bike after a month in a half (I think) but sometimes I would get sharp pains once in a while after a ride were they made the incision. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
damn dude #2....wtf did you do...and did you even know you did them?

i didnt even feel it when it first happened...just felt something weird in my gut months later when i coughed. i had an inguinal hernia

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Had mine about 4 months ago... I was 95% after 90 days... 1st 3 weeks were the worst! I think sneezing and coughing were the most painful.

Funny, the first 12 hours after the surgery was a breeze... the anesthesia was still 'on' I guess. The pain will come tomorrow... - but not all that bad.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ive had it done... its been 15 years though. I remember that I was hunched over for quite some time because they had to cut through my lower abdominal muscles to get to the hernia (hiatal). Took about 2-3 weeks before I was back to normal activity... few months before I was at 100%.

From what I hear recovery is much faster now because the technology has gotten a lot better. Good luck, see how long you can stay awake after getting dosed with the knock out drugs, a real challenge...

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
ridetoofast said:
damn dude #2....wtf did you do...and did you even know you did them?

i didnt even feel it when it first happened...just felt something weird in my gut months later when i coughed. i had an inguinal hernia
And I am only 23. My first one was when I was 14. The doctors caught the left side when I was doing a physical for Boy Scouts. It was a micro tear so the first one could have been from anything. But the second one could have been from lifting boxes.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I haven't had one yet but I'm in line. My dad and brother both have had them

My brother was like 3 or 4 I think. I came home and his butt was in the air, I asked him what was wrong, and he pointed and I didn't know what to do. I was only 12 or 13 at the time. I called my parents at work, they took him to the emergency room, and they told them he had a hernia. The following day he had it taken care of. He's been fine since.

My dad on the other hand was a different story. We were camping up north in the redwoods and he complained of pain. It was basicly in his belly button. He went 2 or 3 days before going to the local hospital once we found it. Mind you he wasn't doing much but he's got a high pain threashold. I have also (high tolernces to pain) but still. So he was swimming, bike riding, doing camping stuff. He went to the hospital and they told him it was a bug bite. That tells you it was a hick hospital. Northern CA area. After cutting into it and finding that nothing was there, they gave him a shot and some pain pills and said it should go away. I know he was hurtin because they didn't dope him up before cutting into it and he bent the rails on the chair he was sitting in. I've seen him at the dentist bend the arms on their chairs from the novicane not working fast enough. He's not big either, not even close to it. Once we got home he went to see another doctor, explained it all, and instantly new it was a hernia. He waited until the next day and got it taken care of. Now he just has no belly button :)

I'm built a little different but I have no idea how either one of them got one. My brother was very young and my dad wasn't doing much. It could have just been luck of the draw for both of them to have this happen to them. Both have been fine since though.

Weird shiznit

I had an umbilical hernia a few years ago. (I guess that's what you call it.) It was just to the left of by belly button. Hurt like hell and couldn't figure out what it was. I just had this weird marble sized lump poking out. Turns out I had torn the abdominal muscle when duck-diving a wave while surfing. Surgery was pretty short with a very mininal scar just above the belly button. They used the newer mesh type stuff to put it all back together and I haven't had any issues with it since. I gotta say though, it was very tough getting up from the couch and out of bed for about a week. (Thank God for those monster size vicodins :thumb: ) No dice on standing straight up for a while either. I was good to go about 3 - 4 weeks after though.