Quantcast

Hey all you Cali people......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
manziman said:
no, you can, and there are a lot of good trails on it. Along with riding in Oakland and all over the bay area....Mt. Tam, too.
Mt Diablo intrigued me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stosh said:
Mt Diablo intrigued me.
Mt Diablo is boring, its all firetrails, the singletrack is ALL illegal, I know I've been busted enough for riding them. If you go to San Luis Obispo, then drive another hour in a half and go to Santa Barbara. Trust me on this one..........it's paradise there.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MikeD said:
Um, he's coming from the east coast. The San Gabriel mountains are enormous compared to anything back east. They're over 10,000 feet in places... And even John Muir, as quoted in Southern California Mountain Biking Guide, was impressed... "I have never made the aquaintence of mountains more rigidly inaccessible."

-junior naturalist, Mike Diamond
Ahh yes. I forgot that he comes from the east coast where they have no mountains. But then again, I hear that Stosh doesn't ride anyway. :p

MD is spot on with his central coast suggestions, but if you do come to So Cal San Diego is a very cool place. And I get down there all the time since the future in laws live there in Ocean Beach where they have cool bars.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ciaran said:
Ahh yes. I forgot that he comes from the east coast where they have no mountains. But then again, I hear that Stosh doesn't ride anyway. :p

MD is spot on with his central coast suggestions, but if you do come to So Cal San Diego is a very cool place. And I get down there all the time since the future in laws live there in Ocean Beach where they have cool bars.
But if he's actually going to ride xc, San Diego is horrible.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MikeD said:
Um, what?? SB is not such a chic part of SoCal, man...

I recommend, if you want a laid-back vacation, travelling the whole central coast area from Monterey(ed: and Santa Cruz, right next door) to Santa Barbara, perhaps starting by flying in to San Fran or Oakland and doing a Napa or Sonoma wine tour, then heading south. Check out Big Sur. Stay some time in Pismo Beach. Cental Coast is a very laid-back part of Cali...wide-open, greenish...

I hear the DH stuff in SLO is wickedly treacherous.

Santa Barbara is gorgeous and has fantastic trails, too. As Land of the Independently Wealthy, it's widely-spaced and uncrowded; lots of neat inns and hotels. It's not terribly far from LA, so you could even fly out of there, or see LA for a day or two (Getty museum is worth a look) and head to San Diego for a stop and a flight home.

San Diego is a cool, fun, beach city, too, where you can take it slower or a little faster if you like. Not going to give you the big expansive travelling possibilities you'd get in the central coast, though. LA is pretty much all fast-paced, unless you're a trillionare with a mansion in Malibu or someplace. OC doesn't have much to see that's particularly unique IMHO.

MD

yeah Cen Cal is FUN...But you GOTTA check out Tahoe, too...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manziman said:
no, you can, and there are a lot of good trails on it. Along with riding in Oakland and all over the bay area....Mt. Tam, too.
Have they changed access to Mt. Tam? When I lived there you couldn't ride the singletrack. And the fire roads were.... well, fireroads. :mumble:

Scenery was nice, though.

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
better that that the other way around...

...you would still be paying that off, expecially if you take him out to eat sushi. :rolleyes:
you sound scrorned.... :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
no...but I've seen how he vacumes down sushi :eek:
We just went to PF Changs. I didn't want him to spend a pile of money. I did get a few beers out of him though :D :D :D :D . We had a great time and it was real nice to get out of my uncles small apt. in San Fran.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
the future in laws live there in Ocean Beach where they have cool bars.
Hey, I live in OB. You're marrying a dirty hippie, ain'tcha??

MD

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
ET_SoCal said:
:stosh:
This say's it all.

It is true though.
I've lived in both, and if I were to visit, that's how I would decide.

It IS too rainy up north in the winter, and it IS too hot down here in the summer.

Why did you stosh me?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MikeD said:
Hey, I live in OB. You're marrying a dirty hippie, ain'tcha??

MD
You live in OB?!?! Holy crap! Man we're gonna have to hook up next time the GF (now fiancee) and I are down there. Shoot, I'll bring my bike, we'll ride! Yeah, she's a dirty hippie. Actually, I think her parents are the only republicans in OB. Of course to them we are commie pinkos. Since we don't vote republican. :D Wow. Small world.

Here's a picture taken off of their back deck, where the GF and I are going to get married...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice...looks like they're wealthy Republicans, too. I used to live in the nice part of town, 80' over the cliffs in a 2-level penthouse, but the GF and I have since moved to the wrong side of Newport and crammed in a 1-BR cottage to save dough...

Yeah, bring your bike...we'll hit Noble Canyon, or at least hop around on the rocks at Sunset Cliffs...

MD