Quantcast

Hey all you steel fabricators out there

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Any suggestions on where I can order 5/16" steel round stock from?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
McMaster Carr? Not sure what alloy steel you're talking about (and what quantities) , but they generally have everything, and super fast shipping.

Also......steel is real!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McMaster Carr? Not sure what alloy steel you're talking about (and what quantities) , but they generally have everything, and super fast shipping.

Also......steel is real!
Awesome, great suggestion!
The NYS Building code does not allow open risers on stairs anyway. I built a new deck with open risers so I'm going to insert a 5/16" round bar through the stringers splitting each riser in 1/2 there by meeting the code and not allowing a 6" sphere to pass through the open risers.

I need like 13 or 14 4' pieces. I would like to do something with Aluminum or stainless but it's too expensive.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Awesome, great suggestion!
The NYS Building code does not allow open risers on stairs anyway. I build a new deck with open risers so I'm going to insert a 5/16" round bar through the stringers splitting each riser in 1/2 there by meeting the code and not allowing a 6" sphere to pass through the open risers.

I need like 13 or 14 4' pieces. I would like to do something with Aluminum or stainless but it's too expensive.
Just looking briefly, unpolished 6061 5/16" x 6' round stock was $9.08, 1018/low carbon steel in the same size is $8.07.

For a dollar more I'd go with the aluminum.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Unfortunately McMaster's site sucks for trying to send links (always dumps you to an upper-level selector page). But if you do raw materials -> aluminum -> round stock -> 6061 -> 5/16" diameter -> 6' length you should find it. Looking at $130 or so plus shipping (which shouldn't be too bad since they have a warehouse in NJ and you're only in NY).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Unfortunately McMaster's site sucks for trying to send links (always dumps you to an upper-level selector page). But if you do raw materials -> aluminum -> round stock -> 6061 -> 5/16" diameter -> 6' length you should find it. Looking at $130 or so plus shipping (which shouldn't be too bad since they have a warehouse in NJ and you're only in NY).
Yeah, I was able to find it thanks! my stairs are 3'-2" wide outside of stringers so I think I can get away with (6) 6'-0" pieces. I'll check it all out tonight

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Online metals is probably your cheapest choice. Mcmaster is only ever reasonably priced for very small quantities.
Alum should actually be a bit cheaper if you look around. It is probably cheaper in the NW because of our aerospace and we make a lot of it here. (cheap power)
Look local first though.