Quantcast

hey ! (-: Banshee Scream

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
hey monkeys what do you say about the banshee scream frame for allot of freeriding and downhills (for fun . im not racer).

is anyone here have an experience with this frame?

here is banshee made ? USA?

thanks guys
:)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Some people are gonna get mad, no doubt but:

IMO, Banshee's are over-built and under-engineered. There's no reason the frame needs to be that heavy. They machine big thick stock and gusset everywhere and call it strong. It IS strong, but it's unnecessarily heavy too.

But hey, if you like the design/geometry you know what they say about the shoe fitting..

Oops. Forgot to put on my flame-proof suit.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by binary visions
Some people are gonna get mad, no doubt but:

IMO, Banshee's are over-built and under-engineered. There's no reason the frame needs to be that heavy. They machine big thick stock and gusset everywhere and call it strong. It IS strong, but it's unnecessarily heavy too.

But hey, if you like the design/geometry you know what they say about the shoe fitting..

Oops. Forgot to put on my flame-proof suit.
At what point does a FR or DH frame become "unnecessarily heavy"? 10 pounds? 12 pounds? Tell me what bike is comparably strong and weighs less? I looked around and didn't see too many options within $500 of the Scream's price; heck, I didn't see too many options within $1,000 of the Scream's price!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are a big guy, they are great. I don't go big enough to justify one, but for people who ride hard, that are over 200 pounds, they can be perfect.

I agree they are a little heavy, but I know people who have broken lesser bikes and since moved to the Scream with no issues. For some people, there isn't much option (except steel).

The HT is overkill though.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
when the scream first hit the market I heard everyone saying "it is heavy but it feels light"....I thought that was a load of she!t! If your gonna buy a heavy bike, go for it and buy a heavy bike but don't talk yourself into believing it is lighter than it weighs, weight is weight, right?

I jumped on one last weekend and after I got off I made the best effort I could to stick my foot in my mouth. It rides lighter than it is. Don't ask me to explain it, because I can't......it really does ride lighter than the frame feels when you pick it up. just an observation.

PS....describe your riding style (do you do drops, ride rough terrain or is it smooth, at that stuff) before some of these guys on here jump on you for not posting right......

you have a huge selection to chose from so have fun.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
At what point does a FR or DH frame become "unnecessarily heavy"? 10 pounds? 12 pounds? Tell me what bike is comparably strong and weighs less? I looked around and didn't see too many options within $500 of the Scream's price; heck, I didn't see too many options within $1,000 of the Scream's price!
I am not saying that, as a freeride bike, it is too heavy. I'm simply stating that it could be significantly lighter for the same strength if it were engineered better/differently.

For a really big guy, it can be a good bike, but most of the population - even the big guys - could get away with a LOT less frame. Would most of these guys really break a Yeti AS-X? Nope.

I concede, for the price, you probably can't but a stronger frame. But 98% of the riding population simply doesn't need a frame that strong and is hauling around the 3 extra pounds of frame weight for no good reason.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC

About 45 lbs on the shop scale (sz small frame). A little porky? Sure but whatevs. It pedals well, geometry works well for the terrain around here, and it's fun to ride. I hop on and go, go, go up the mountain and down the mountain with a big smile on my face. Good enough for me.

I consider the extra 3 lbs of frame as weight training - no need to lift at the gym. :D

Custom headbadge... :devil:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by DamienC
I hop on and go, go, go up the mountain and down the mountain with a big smile on my face. Good enough for me.
...and really, that's all that matters anyway.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Upon further thought, one instance when I REALLY notice the heft of my Scream is after riding all day when I'm totally cashed and broken - and then have to carry that POS up a few flights of stairs to my apartment :dead: :D.

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
thanks guys

which bike should i choose that less heavier than the Scream?

i forgot to say that im going to do many urbanriding on this bike(that means - many drops to flat n' doubles )

what do you guys think about the VP-free or the V8 ? is it will be able to suffer aggressive urbans ? of better i will forget about it?.

thanks guys :)))))):)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
How do they compare to transition bikes? i thought the Dirt bag looked similar although i was told somewhere that transition bikes have a nasty leverage ratio on shocks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by 243-Man
thanks guys

which bike should i choose that less heavier than the Scream?

i forgot to say that im going to do many urbanriding on this bike(that means - many drops to flat n' doubles )

what do you guys think about the VP-free or the V8 ? is it will be able to suffer aggressive urbans ? of better i will forget about it?.

thanks guys :)))))):)
urban? ride a hardtail. seriously.

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
hey man

big? maximum 2-2.5meter to flat and 4-5meter to slop . i dont plan to bigger than this .

im 74-75kg i think its somthing like 170 lbs.

freeride is my second choice. nothing better than flow in a good dh track.

thanks again and BTW what do you think buys about the
Yeti DH9?

thanks thanks thanks love you guys

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
last question guys! thanks again for all the help!

what do you say about the norco team north shore?(after i will replace all the saint parts to hadley hubs and mag plus hydros)
what do you say dudes about this frame? its seems more solid than the monsterus banshee

thanks

I strongly suggest you come to SOME sort of conclusion prior to asking everyone about one frame and then switching to something entirely different...narrow your options down...use the search tool. No offense...Also, why replace all the Saint stuff? I'm sensing either a dreamer or a major waste of money.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by klunky
How do they compare to transition bikes? i thought the Dirt bag looked similar although i was told somewhere that transition bikes have a nasty leverage ratio on shocks
I havent had any issues with mine at all, send Kyle a e-mail and he will answer all the questions you have on the technical side of things:

kyleyoung@transitionbikes.com

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Originally posted by klunky
use the search thing. It's 2.5:1 for 5" and 3:1 for 6". Thats not too bad at all.