Quantcast

Hey CAD pumpers......

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
How can you do this all day? I want to punch my computer in the face! (screen)

I've been working on making this one stupid building for like 10 hours now!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
I've been working on making this one stupid building for like 10 hours now!
10 hours of work for one building doesn't sound too bad.

Unless all you have is a square drawn in plan view so far.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MMike said:
You must not be very good at it...

You are right, I'm not!

I'm not even using what you people consider "real" CAD. I'm in Vectorworks. I'm trying to draft out my theatre so I can do my lighting design in it, take it to competition and WIN!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Here's what I gots so far, and in my defense, I have been going off 4 different peoples measurements, and then had to go in and measure it myself, because nothing added up! (even when I went off my measurements I had to fudge a wall about an inch so it would line up with the PL)

Plan:

Isometric:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
You are right, I'm not!

I'm not even using what you people consider "real" CAD. I'm in Vectorworks. I'm trying to draft out my theatre so I can do my lighting design in it, take it to competition and WIN!
Explain this again?

What competition?

I used to do stage and lighting production, we did all our stage plots and set design, etc in Autocad. We had huge model libraries for everything, even the cases that the equipment went in.

Vectorworks sucks. I feel for ya!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
H8R said:
Explain this again?

What competition?

I used to do stage and lighting production, we did all our stage plots and set design, etc in Autocad. We had huge model libraries for everything, even the cases that the equipment went in.

Vectorworks sucks. I feel for ya!
I am the lighting designer for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and entering my design in competition at The South Eastern Theatre Conference. The only problem is, my show doesnt open until April, but the competition is the first week of March. Since I won't have any production pictures, I am drafting the theatre and the set and doing 3D light modeling for production pictures.

Those combined with my paperwork, concept statement, plot and research should do pretty well. Thats why I have to make this 3D model kicka$$!

If you used to do theatre, you can see how odd our space is. Its a 3/4 round with stadium seating..... I'll put up another image when I get all that stuff drawn in. Those draftings above are just the ouside walls of the building.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
sounds like hell. "pumping" CAD isn't too bad when you break it up with a little CAM.

Good luck.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Qman said:
Good one and it's halfway true but no....
"Computer Aided Machining"

Actually is computer aided manufacturing. You can use cam to program lots of stuff besides machine tools. Lasers, water jets and punch presses are all programmed with CAM.

This is what I do. Solidworks and Mastercam.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i love doing cad work...the only problem is, i learned it with old programs where u type everything, and i got really fast at it, and then they came out with stuff like inventor and made so 12 yr olds can use it

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
cannondalejunky said:
i love doing cad work...the only problem is, i learned it with old programs where u type everything, and i got really fast at it, and then they came out with stuff like inventor and made so 12 yr olds can use it

Hey man, I'm 12+10 and I am having trouble with it!

I can do the basics, its getting everything to line up and be correct thats hard!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
buildyourown said:
Actually is computer aided manufacturing. You can use cam to program lots of stuff besides machine tools. Lasers, water jets and punch presses are all programmed with CAM.

This is what I do. Solidworks and Mastercam.
"Acutally is" or 'can also be called'?
Funny how they change terms as time goes on. Lasers, water jets and punch presses have always been known as "machine tools".
I guess it's just a N. American thing now to call it an "international manufacturing technology show" instead of an 'international machine tool show' as it used to be called. oh well.......
http://tradeshow.alibaba.com/trade_shows/278884/Taipei_International_Machine_Tool_Show_TIMTOS_.html
Solidworks can be fun for playing around with but comes up short for doing real work.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Qman said:
"Acutally is" or 'can also be called'?
Funny how they change terms as time goes on. Lasers, water jets and punch presses have always been known as "machine tools".
I guess it's just a N. American thing now to call it an "international manufacturing technology show" instead of an 'international machine tool show' as it used to be called. oh well.......
http://tradeshow.alibaba.com/trade_shows/278884/Taipei_International_Machine_Tool_Show_TIMTOS_.html
Solidworks can be fun for playing around with but comes up short for doing real work.

I guess I'm splitting hairs. I don't consider sheetmetal tools to be machine tools. Anyways....
Solidworks is actually very powerful. We get all of our models from our customers in Solidworks. There really isn't much that you can't model in SW.
Lately I've noticed that we have been getting lots of bad models. It occured to me that Solidworks is actually TOO easy to learn. After a 30 min tutorial, a person can be cranking out simple models. However, common rookie mistakes can turn into very expensive mistakes once they send these to the machine shop.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
buildyourown said:
It occured to me that Solidworks is actually TOO easy to learn. After a 30 min tutorial, a person can be cranking out simple models. However, common rookie mistakes can turn into very expensive mistakes once they send these to the machine shop.
Agreed. The worst datasets I get are from Solidworks. Rhino is supposed to be even easier to learn and is half the price but I still get better models from Rhino and Alias.
Can't say I agree it's 'very powerful' compared to Surfacer and Wildfire though.
The majority of work I get are surface based models though instead of feature based. For feature based models, I'm sure Solidworks is more than adequate. I've got a client that has reached the limits of Solidworks many times and won't even buy a seat of it to appease his clients that like it.

'BigMike', you may want to look into a seat of Rhino. It's pretty cheap as CAD packages go. I've got a friend that designed tradeshow booths with it. Could work well for your application. www.rhino3d.com

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
BigMike said:
Are there any good programs that have features like Rhino, but for Mac?
I've never researched cad for mac so I couldn't tell you.