Quantcast

hey commuters

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I rode to work today for the first time in a while. Because the days are getting shorter, I had to leave my house later (had to wait for daylight). That meant I got to work after most everyone else did, which means several people saw me walking down the halls/through the office in my lycra.

Now normally I don't think twice about wearing lycra... but normally I'm on my bike or at least around other bikers when I do. Do you wear your lycra in the office? I don't mean all day long, just on the way to and from your office/cube when getting work and when leaving work... or do you put baggies on?

I just wonder about the "appropriateness" of being seen in lycra in the office. My office is pretty easy going, but...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've done it. If an old fat bastard like me can get away with it, a young whippersnapper like yourself should be fine :p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
johnbryanpeters said:
I wear it in the office until I cool down from the ride.
Ditto for me. I get some strange looks and comments from my desk-riding, donut-eating, doing-nothing-that-doesn't-involve-tv co-workers, but F'em.

splat

Nam I am
Hell ,Once I came in to the office after having played my (weekly ) before work Ice hockey game, I was still wearing my Hockey pants, Some one snaged me that a server was down , I then spent the next 2 hours in front of a computer wear Sweaty smelly hockey gear. as Soon as it was back up I made haste to the locker room for a shower and change of clothes. No one said a thing!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I wear the Lycra, and I work in a place very concerned about image. The first couple of times I got strange looks, but now everyone knows I'm a cyclist. It helps that serveral of the people who work in my area are cyclists. I still get strange looks when I bring my 5" trail bike in.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I ride in my work clothes (sloppy business casual), but I have a 7 minute commute. :dancing:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Officialy no one gives a hoot about what I wear into work. I don't wear lycra, but if I did 'bout the only comments heard prob would include a couple fag and yourgay thrown in for good measure. :heart: rural/redneck/workplace

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bluebug32 said:
I think it's great that you wear your bike stuff in. Hopefully you can encourage others to get off their butts in the morning and onto their bikes.

I dare you to wear your skanty attire....

..unless you work as an exotic dancer... then no dare.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bluebug32 said:
I think it's great that you wear your bike stuff in. Hopefully you can encourage others to get off their butts in the morning and onto their bikes.
Not likely... the majority of the people I work with should be retired but apparently didn't get that memo.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
I wear my lycra in. That's not what elicits comments, though - it's the flourescent orange or green jerseys that always get the attention. :D
hehe... I walked in this mornin in lycra shorts, a "well-fitted" RM jersey, my shoes and helmet, and got a few looks.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am a rarity I guess..I wear baggies in to save an possible conflict. I think they are more concerned about my snotcicles and red teary eyes. :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Awesome post - me too. On all fronts. :D

It shouldn't be a problem but it can be. You don't always get to pick the people you work with and some people have very small minds. And sometimes those people can have an impact on your job.

And anyway, I never want to stand around very long in lycra even if it's under baggies.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
i wear white lycra shorts and empty my water bottle on 'em before i walk into the office.
Wear 'em offroad on a muddy day so you get that nice "skid mark" stain, then proceed as normal. :)