Quantcast

Hey Computer Nerds! What do I 'need'?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I want to digitize my music collection, (in FLAC) and I need a new desktop (or possibly laptop?).
I will also use it to store FLAC files downloaded from bit torrent and the like. What should I be looking for these days?
Pretty sure I want a TB of storage.
Are laptop CD drives robust enough for 500 CD's?
Anyone have anything lying around?
Haven't had a desktop/laptop in 10 years...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what media format will you be converting from?

you'll need something with a good audio card and the appropriate inputs for starter

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So, I want to digitize my music collection, (in FLAC) and I need a new desktop (or possibly laptop?).
I will also use it to store FLAC files downloaded from bit torrent and the like. What should I be looking for these days?
Pretty sure I want a TB of storage.
Are laptop CD drives robust enough for 500 CD's?
Anyone have anything lying around?
Haven't had a desktop/laptop in 10 years...
do you mind bringing around a DAC with you for listening?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My new phone has a kickass DAC built in. (lg v30+).
That is what this is all about.
I intend to dl at a high bit rate.
so you are just looking for a laptop or desktop that can convert CDs into FLAC? And will be handling the listening with your phone?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd just BYOPC. I'd think for a lot of encoding/converting, a nice quad core would be alright, then you can select the number of drives you want. A couple of 2tb hard drives would be great, and cheap, then throw in a SSD to run the OS on. 16gb or ram, 2x DVD-ROM drives, you'd have a cheap setup capable of what you want it to do.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There are easy ways of dropping off some cash. Lower end processor, drop the video card for on-board graphics, etc. I just wanted to provide an alternative thought to a pre-built system. I've built all my own systems for the past couple of years, and it's super easy.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I am leery of buying laptops from ebay, check and see if there is a computer shop near you that is reputable, and see what they have in used inventory.

A desktop would be the way to go, but you would need a monitor as well, again see what a computer shop has for used computers.

All of your encoding is CPU bound, have you chosen software yet? if the software is multithread capable, then the higher the core count, the higher the performance should be, if not, then clock speed of an individual core will be your performance (clock speed is things in ghz measurement)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
FLAC is pretty large. I'd think ahead about storage as much as the computer and how you'll back it up. Because spending all that time converting your CDs and stuff will really blow when a drive dies...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I am running Kodi on a Raspberry pi3 with a optical Toslink pi-hat connected to 5.1 surround system. Data is a NAS (also running on a raspi3). NAS is easily expandable and have added built in backup.

Cheap, easily modifiable, expandable, etc.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I am running Kodi on a Raspberry pi3 with a optical Toslink pi-hat connected to 5.1 surround system. Data is a NAS (also running on a raspi3). NAS is easily expandable and have added built in backup.

Cheap, easily modifiable, expandable, etc.
i have no idea what this means....

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
A bit rich for my blood, though...
PCs are much like MTBs but without having to climb up hills.
You will want to spend at least $500 for a decent Desk/laptop. It may not do everything you want or do it easily, but it will get you there. Or you can buy a higher end PC and it may do things you will never need it to do, like play Pacman at 16,000F FPS. Or you can build it yourself for a custom fit that does exactly what you want it to do, but without the extra frills.