Quantcast

Hey Computer Nerds! What do I 'need'?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I actually did quite well on my last pseudo build. I got a off lease office Dell USFF core i5 desktop sans HD for $50 with 16GB of ram. Added an SSD, it had a Windows 10 Pro license key on it. The USFF limits the audio/video, but I was going for tiny/fast. You could get a legit desktop for about $100 then spend some dough on the upgraded audio/video and stuff it full of memory. Buff for about $500

<edit> It was off ebay from Dell's store.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went to the Pawn Shop today. They had a few nice machines real cheap. You should make a trip to your local Pawn Shop...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The only things the one pawn shop here has is guns and turquoise jewelry...
I think I have decided on a 1tb laptop with 12 gigs of ram, and a tb external HBD or two. That way when I go to visit friends I can raid their music collections (for the few that even know where their cd's still are!)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The only things the one pawn shop here has is guns and turquoise jewelry...
I think I have decided on a 1tb laptop with 12 gigs of ram, and a tb external HBD or two. That way when I go to visit friends I can raid their music collections (for the few that even know where their cd's still are!)
SSD drive in my laptop made a big difference.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
But will it Netflix? That's the main reason that I stopped using my Pi.
I have a feeling you already know the answer to that question...

However I wish it did. The whole DMR thing on specific hardware (not ARMv7) sort of chaps my ass. Alas, I bought a Apple Lighting to HDMI connector and just watch online streaming (HBO, Netflix, etc.) that way.