Quantcast

Hey enginerds!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I know it's a little early, but I don't see anyone in the NL East doing anything to overcome the West. I am taking the Dodgers for the NL. Yankees, White Sox, and the Rangers in the AL.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe. But it seems that some frame builders would have tested various designs and materials on machinery built to measure such things. If I recall, Santa Cruz did something like that with their carbon frames.

I believe Yurp requires strength testing on frames as well as imported frames. Any large manufacturer would be silly to not test, the costs are low in comparison to potential warranty claims/lawsuits.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I believe Yurp requires strength testing on frames as well as imported frames. Any large manufacturer would be silly to not test, the costs are low in comparison to potential warranty claims/lawsuits.
Have you ever wondered why Aluminum Bats are banned in the MLB?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A composite tube can be stiff in one direction and flexy in another, can also have variable stiffness along the length, all depending on the direction the fibers are laid up.
A hardtail I bought a few years back had a 31.6mm post and the ride was like you'd paid someone to violate you.
Bought a Sytace Hi Flex post that was oval shaped internally and it rode like a 27.2mm alloy post, was great.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think more so than fundamental material properties like modulus, strength and fatigue limits, proper design is key to how a bike rides these days.

On a side note - I think that my old (1990) lugged cromo paramout frame became more compliant in the first 12 months of riding and then kind of plateaued until I finally killed it in 2009. My much more modern (~2009?) tig welded salsa cromo frame never really seemed to change much in compliance. Every now and then I wonder why that is. I suspect it is probably the silver brazing on the paramout vs. the tig on the salsa.
Which tubing and how it’s butted makes a big difference. The Salsa probably has bigger diameter and straight gauge and the paramount had butted tubing. It seems like the diameter of seatstays and chainstays also makes a big difference.

This article is pretty relevant @rideit

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Different materials have different damping ratios too. Imagine a tube like a shock, it has a spring rate and a damping ratio. Damping ratios are very very small for metals, but there is a difference. Hard to find good data but Aluminum alloys will have the smallest amount of damping, steel next and Titanium the best. This is why a large thin aluminum tube will give a long "ping" when you flick it with your finger and Titanium will give a dead sound. Not sure how much that actually makes a difference in ride feel, but Titanium frames do have a different feel to them. But again there are other variables that will affect that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Isn't Titus basically Pivot now?
Same integral guy. But honestly the shit he designs under pivot is legit. Titus was either his drunk 'let's see if they buy this' phase driven by some iVeStOr pressure, or he actually lernted.

I lean towards the former. He had some custom valving base stacks on some dh shocks in shitty fox designs that I used to modify shocks to mimic. And pivot bikes are good. Only the el guapo or whatever it was, was a good titus bike.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
More articles and semi useless info so @rideit can win his debates with Marcelo.

Tubing material and spec calculator

Diameter vs stiffness of steel tubes
EFEDE0F9-68A2-40A5-A3C5-7EA293BDBF31.jpeg

7 frames with different tube sets blind tested

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Same integral guy. But honestly the shit he designs under pivot is legit. Titus was either his drunk 'let's see if they buy this' phase driven by some iVeStOr pressure, or he actually lernted.

I lean towards the former. He had some custom valving base stacks on some dh shocks in shitty fox designs that I used to modify shocks to mimic. And pivot bikes are good. Only the el guapo or whatever it was, was a good titus bike.
I think it was when he got DW to design the bikes or maybe Dave just does the suspension.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
More articles and semi useless info so @rideit can win his debates with Marcelo.

Tubing material and spec calculator

Diameter vs stiffness of steel tubes
View attachment 191835

7 frames with different tube sets blind tested
how are they measuring "stiffness?" Asking for a friend.

nah just kidding Imma put my dick on that machine

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think it was when he got DW to design the bikes or maybe Dave just does the suspension.
The last titus bike I mentioned was awesome. And his DW stuff worked well because they didn't work like most DW bikes.

Plus there's some other stuff that they've done that's not frame design specific that was pretty good when you looked closer. With your fox connections you could probably look around. That dude had a way to make the first gen dhx2 shocks work. I don't know if it was him or fox but nothing else worked quite as well as what he had made specifically for the dh bike at the time.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Different materials have different damping ratios too. Imagine a tube like a shock, it has a spring rate and a damping ratio. Damping ratios are very very small for metals, but there is a difference. Hard to find good data but Aluminum alloys will have the smallest amount of damping, steel next and Titanium the best. This is why a large thin aluminum tube will give a long "ping" when you flick it with your finger and Titanium will give a dead sound. Not sure how much that actually makes a difference in ride feel, but Titanium frames do have a different feel to them. But again there are other variables that will affect that.
I still lust after those Litespeed frames. If I were to have hardtail again Ti would be the deal. I remember several years ago Cove made one (Lynskey or Litespeed) with modern geometry. That could be a fun a ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Pivot was either an early adopter or the originator of the super swoopy tube bikes and I still can't stop myself from gagging when I see their logo.

1680321009053.png

1680321056747.png

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The last titus bike I mentioned was awesome. And his DW stuff worked well because they didn't work like most DW bikes.

Plus there's some other stuff that they've done that's not frame design specific that was pretty good when you looked closer. With your fox connections you could probably look around. That dude had a way to make the first gen dhx2 shocks work. I don't know if it was him or fox but nothing else worked quite as well as what he had made specifically for the dh bike at the time.
Yeah, I remember that one well. Being from Tucson, I always kept an eye on them and I like what he does.

I didn’t know he had a fix for those. I will ask around but I don’t have the same access like I used to.

Their new DH bike is pretty sweet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, I remember that one well. Being from Tucson, I always kept an eye on them and I like what he does.

I didn’t know he had a fix for those. I will ask around but I don’t have the same access like I used to.

Their new DH bike is pretty sweet.
I could probably dig up the tune code but that dh bike was the only iteration of that shock that used this funky hourglass shim stack that ended up making up for some high speed rebound and compression damping. That base valve in those doesn't work like a normal one because of the twin tube shit with all the rebound control in the reservoir valve but those things worked great. I only know this because I bought one from an ebay seller that turned out to be pivot and wondered why it worked so well. I looked up the parts from the code, took it apart, and then made like 3 other shocks like that.

Plus the bikes just ride well......dw aside. He just knew leverage curves before most, which has just now finally been standardized over the last few years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still lust after those Litespeed frames. If I were to have hardtail again Ti would be the deal. I remember several years ago Cove made one (Lynskey or Litespeed) with modern geometry. That could be a fun a ride.
I still have my Litespeed Ocoee from 1997. It was a noodle but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing when suspension and tires were horrible at the time. Currently rolling a Ti Chromag Rootdown and it is possibly the most fun bike I have owned next to my old Turner.