Quantcast

Hey enginerds!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you seen what he's making now? Kinda up that alley.

I have to prevent myself from drunk buying one of his frames some days. I mean I remember when the base of the spine rode a hardtail and had fun........but those days are long gone.
I still regularly check out his website hoping he offers up a modern version of what he used to make. I am sure he is making (ordering) nice bikes, but clearly focused on the gravel XC world which isn't what I was looking for. The Chromag is an absurd bike that with an unusual fork setup is kind of brilliant for the trails out here.

The new Reeb makes me tingle in private places for no other reason that it appears to be a modern old school Turner.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I still regularly check out his website hoping he offers up a modern version of what he used to make. I am sure he is making (ordering) nice bikes, but clearly focused on the gravel XC which isn't what I was looking for. The Chromag is an absurd bike that with an unusual fork setup is kind of brilliant for the trails out here.
For sure. Socal swoopies vs. cascadian fall lines will never be compatible. I just like the guy and want to buy a ti hardtail frame from him because I've given up on ambitions of threatening my life on bikes anymore. Hence the no drunk buying rule for the moment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What if, and im just speculating here, you could build a Ti FS bike with no pivots and say 5” of suspension? And what if you could make the main pivot in a really sweet spot?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
. I just like the guy and want to buy a ti hardtail frame from him
Yup. I never met him but he made good shit and supported it. I broke two of his frames doing things he had no good reasons to support and literally had replacements on my front door the next day, well Clint did, still remember that guy. Cracked a rear end on a Flux doing back country endurance races and they sent me the lighter/stronger Nitrous rear end. Then I put a 130mm fork on it and broke the front triangle and they replaced it with a 5-spot. So I bought a second one because they were awesome. You can still buy spare parts for the old shit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup. I never met him but he made good shit and supported it. I broke two of his frames doing things he had no good reasons to support and literally had replacements on my front door the next day, well Clint did, still remember that guy. Cracked a rear end on a Flux doing back country endurance races and they sent me the lighter/stronger Nitrous rear end. Then I put a 130mm fork on it and broke the front triangle and they replaced it with a 5-spot. So I bought a second one because they were awesome. You can still buy spare parts for the old shit.
I didn't break every dhr I owned but the ones I did, same response. And I definitely was not dh racing on them.

Plus I've drank tequila with him and his wife who used to live here at 2am around a camp fire. Good peeps.

Like I said. I just want to buy a frame on principle, god knows if my body could ride the damn thing :rofl:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I didn't break every dhr I owned but the ones I did, same response. And I definitely was not dh racing on them.

Plus I've drank tequila with him and his wife who used to live here at 2am around a camp fire. Good peeps.

Like I said. I just want to buy a frame on principle, god knows if my body could ride the damn thing :rofl:
I showed DT around the trails in Verbier once. He was super cool and I enjoyed his stories.
My brother had a square tube DHR with a Romic at the time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also rode with DT a bunch of times, amusing to watch him help an Ellsworth rider mend their effed bike on Porc Rim.

If my Ti HT broke I would like their Ti HT, but the L is too small and the XL is enormous.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Pivot was either an early adopter or the originator of the super swoopy tube bikes and I still can't stop myself from gagging when I see their logo.

View attachment 191836

View attachment 191837
a balfa 2 step is a much more visually pleasing sight than that....

and you had said something about having a turner....

i think RD3 in the dh forum had the most beautiful turner builds i have ever seen....

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Since all the right people are here, please riddle me a question I think I've asked before but never seen a conclusive answer:

Firearms magazines use coil springs which compress as you load cartridges, then extend as you expend them.

Traditional folk wisdom says to unload magazines when not in use to prevent weakening of the springs. Military rumor (now somewhat outdated) is that you should load to less than full capacity to avoid weakening of the springs.

Is there any truth to this?

I've heard varying reasoning on this. One thing I think I recall from an engineer is that only the number of cycles on a spring matters, not the length of time it has been held in compression, once compressed...ironically, extra loading and unloading is then a (nominal) detriment rather than a benefit, and a complete waste of time at absolute best.

Someone else told me that the engineering of the springs should allow for infinite use without weakening. (Which, I can say from experience, isn't entirely the case--they do wear out, though modern stuff seems to have a really long lifespan. And it seems inevitable that the need to keep things compact, plus cost concerns, force compromises from a mechanical ideal.)

Since all the right people are here, please riddle me a question I think I've asked before but never seen a conclusive answer:

Firearms magazines use coil springs which compress as you load cartridges, then extend as you expend them.

Traditional folk wisdom says to unload magazines when not in use to prevent weakening of the springs. Military rumor (now somewhat outdated) is that you should load to less than full capacity to avoid weakening of the springs.

I've heard varying reasoning on this. One thing I think I recall from an engineer is that only the number of cycles on a spring matters, not the length of time it has been held in compression, once compressed...ironically, extra loading and unloading is then a (nominal) detriment rather than a benefit, and a complete waste of time at absolute best.

Someone else told me that the engineering of the springs should allow for infinite use without weakening. (Which, I can say from experience, isn't entirely the case--they do wear out, though modern stuff seems to have a really long lifespan. And it seems inevitable that the need to keep things compact, plus cost concerns, force compromises from a mechanical ideal.)
I load clips to less than full capacity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A spring obviously is being deformed. A spring can usually recover to its original shape if it isn't pushed past its elastic limits into plastic deformation. However if pushed near the plastic deformation for a long time it can deform via creep as described above, higher temperatures accelerate that. So you could make a magazine whose springs lasted forever but you would need to make the mag bigger to fit a larger spring, or just don't push it as much with fewer rounds.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
The new Reeb makes me tingle in private places for no other reason that it appears to be a modern old school Turner.
I just adjusted the seat and swapped to wider bar on my wife's bike.

Now I really like this bike, not sure if I want one myself or a Steezl.

20230423_155311.jpg