Quantcast

Hey, EOS owners...

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Check out what I got myself for my Birthday....

Braaappphh.. EOS 5/A2E. Yes. This is the first fully automatic camera I have owned. Well, my Mamiya 6x7 has electronic metering, and shutter. But this is the first autofocus camera I have owned. I always thought these things were the devil. But... after heading out to the trails, and doing 5 frames a sec sequences. I have realized THIS THING IS DA CHIIT. <-(helltaco)?

Well. So far so good. I havent processed anything yet. And yes, it IS film... bitches.

I was suprised by how quick the focus is. its very quiet. The lense I got with it is a Canon EF series 28-80. Seems like its decent lens. Its a little to plastic for me, Im looking for some nicer, wide angle, fixed focal lenght lenses. I assume Canon brand lenses are the way to go? What are their nicer lenses?

Im still figuring out all the functions for metering, and the EOS... I ordered a 'Magic Lantern Guides' on the camera... its 200 pages. Im only halfway through (recived it today) but have learned a lot so far.

Whatcha shooting with, any EOS tips?

anywho... I paid only one hundo for the body, lense, verticle grip/motor drive, and a few filters. A new kid we hired at the shop bought it new when they came out. He wanted some $ for a track bike, and said he didnt touch it anymore. SOLD. haha.

Ill process some rolls tomorrow and scan the contact sheets.

ANdrew

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you stick with Canon L glass you can't go wrong (for the most part). you also may go broke. 17-40L is a good wide angle if you can stand f/4 -- for wide angle zooms are the way to go since the primes are expensive and not markedly better. i shoot a 12-24mm Sigma zoom for wide angle since my 20D has the 1.6x cropping factor :dead: , basically turning it into a 20-40mm.

for normal and telephoto primes rule: (Canon) 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm or 180mm macro, 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.2L if you want to go nuts, 135mm f/2L, all of the 70-200s are good, both 300mm primes are good. ok, that should get you started :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Why are film cameras so $$$. I mean they have been around longer than a computer and yet can cost as much as 5 times more. :confused:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
mack said:
Why are film cameras so $$$. I mean they have been around longer than a computer and yet can cost as much as 5 times more. :confused:
and an equivalent dSLR will cost more than the same film SLR. comparing computers to cameras is not fair -- if you compare digicams of similar type year after year they either get cheaper or better progressively, sorta in accordance with moore's law, which never was a "law" anyway

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Toshi said:
if you stick with Canon L glass you can't go wrong (for the most part). you also may go broke. 17-40L is a good wide angle if you can stand f/4 -- for wide angle zooms are the way to go since the primes are expensive and not markedly better. i shoot a 12-24mm Sigma zoom for wide angle since my 20D has the 1.6x cropping factor :dead: , basically turning it into a 20-40mm.

for normal and telephoto primes rule: (Canon) 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm or 180mm macro, 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.2L if you want to go nuts, 135mm f/2L, all of the 70-200s are good, both 300mm primes are good. ok, that should get you started :D

How much did you pick up that Sigma 12-24 for? How bright is it?
I definatley need to buy one of those f1.2 50s. I dont need more than the 80mm I have from the zoom.. Well not yet atleast. Its all about the wide angle. I get lazy if I have a big zoom. This camera is gonna be used for both artsy fartsy stuff, and some action snap shots.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
12-24 is not bright at all, f/4.5-5.6. bought it from b&h so whatever they sell it for. i never shoot under f/9 with a wide angle if its something i want quality on anyway. indoors? use a tripod. :D

canon doesn't make a f/1.2 50mm, they only have f/1.8, 1.4 USM and 1.0L USM. 1.0 is kinda a dog i hear, and giant and expensive. but f/1 is cool sounding... check out my website (http://www.toshiclark.com/) and i can tell you what any given pic was shot with.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Toshi said:
sorta in accordance with moore's law, which never was a "law" anyway
there was an article on CNET about Moore's Law not too long ago. something like "40yrs of Moore's Law" or something like that. i haven't read it yet, but it's bookmarked.

BigMike, will that lens work with my Elph?