Quantcast

Hey, hippies:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Do it. I would eat a lot more of them if good eggs weren't $4+/box.
They eat kitchen scraps and garden bugs and turn them into healthy yummy food.

The problem with growing them for meat is that they taste like **** if you wait until they are done laying. A 3yo hen is pretty tough.
Plus, you need roosters for that to work.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Correct. Unfertilized eggs reduce the chance that you'll crack a baby chicken into your frying pan. :dead:
unless you like Balut

Since eggs are like a $1 a carton at my Public Market. I will gladly eat inferior eggs to not have to deal with the mess and inconvenience of owning chickens. Livestock is typically more work then worth in my lazy opinion. The chinese guy at the Public market sells fresh chickens for $4, for a $1 more his kid will dress it for you.... No need for me to have to do anything other then prepare and consume it. Worth $5 for me....
agreed.
though i think seeing said chickens dressed up would make a great meme...a tasty one at that.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like I'm on the hook for chickens- my wife is all psyched up from getting a free coup on craigslist and there's No turning back. If we have to have these chickens, I have a few requirements:
1 quiet
2 relatively small
3 not foofy looking
4 likes people

Now we've done some research and have a couple "breeds" in mind but i think it would be fun to hear from a few of you with opinions on the subject. So, anyone want to scare me off of this or suggest a type of hen? We're going to do the moving chicken tractor thing with three hens.
I think it'd be fun to let them roam around, but we live sort of in the country and neighbor dogs roam all over and I really wouldn't enjoy having one killed in front of me. No rooster since even though I think they can be fun, the constant noise would have me killing the thing before the neighbors had a chance.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Roosters get taken out by Coyotes also, it happened to our flock...just sayin

Anyways, we have 6 hens right now. It is very easy to raise a small flock like this. It takes at most 15 bucks for a 25lb bag of feed, and that lasts for 3 months. As previously mentioned, they also eat basically anything you throw into their area.
My wife insisted that we "free range" them, and under my protest did so. She still let them free range after a cooper's hawk got one. After the second time when the neighbor's hound got one, she now keeps them in their chicken yard, unless she is outside in the backyard also.

We have Plymouth Barred Rock Bantams. This particular breed is a smaller bird, if you have kids they are very gentle with them, they are good layers (1 egg a day avg), they aren't too broody, and unless you have a rooster of this breed, are quiet for chickens.

Spend s little time on this site, you'll get some more ideas.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Said hawk (caught by your's truly), as one friend put it, the look on his face says, "hate the game, not the player"
CoopersHawk.jpg

I've gone all out on my coop. since I'm in the Automation & Control business, I now have an automated coop door that opens and closes at dawn/dusk, so they are safe inside and nothing can get in. It's pretty cool...got the idea to do it from here: http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Said hawk (caught by your's truly), as one friend put it, the look on his face says, "hate the game, not the player"
View attachment 111786
As per federal law, you are only allowed to scare or herd depredating migratory birds, like hawks, without a special permit.

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is responsible for administering this Act. While the law is not often enforced, penalties are severe - up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $15,000. Equipment used to pursue, hunt or trap can also be seized.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Roosters get taken out by Coyotes also, it happened to our flock...just sayin

Anyways, we have 6 hens right now. It is very easy to raise a small flock like this. It takes at most 15 bucks for a 25lb bag of feed, and that lasts for 3 months. As previously mentioned, they also eat basically anything you throw into their area.
My wife insisted that we "free range" them, and under my protest did so. She still let them free range after a cooper's hawk got one. After the second time when the neighbor's hound got one, she now keeps them in their chicken yard, unless she is outside in the backyard also.

We have Plymouth Barred Rock Bantams. This particular breed is a smaller bird, if you have kids they are very gentle with them, they are good layers (1 egg a day avg), they aren't too broody, and unless you have a rooster of this breed, are quiet for chickens.

Spend s little time on this site, you'll get some more ideas.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/

View attachment 111786

I've gone all out on my coop. since I'm in the Automation & Control business, I now have an automated coop door that opens and closes at dawn/dusk, so they are safe inside and nothing can get in. It's pretty cool...got the idea to do it from here: http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/
Thanks for the information! I like your automated coup idea, but I think for now I'll stick with making the tractor thing totally secure. Maybe if I build on from scratch I'll give it a shot. I had a buddy do automated door that was light sensing. I thought he was crazy as sh!t at the time, but now I think it's pretty rad.
Anyway, my wife wanted either standard barred rock or standard black australorps- it sounded like temperaments were similar so we went with three australorps. They live in our bathtub at the moment, which is great so I'll have some time to get this cage dialed in so nothing kills em.
Nice catch on the hawk! I hope Syadasi doesn't turn you in...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
As per federal law, you are only allowed to scare or herd depredating migratory birds, like hawks, without a special permit.
Thanks, but I aint waiting for a permit to arrive when I gots me a hawk that got into the chicken yard, killed one of my flock, and it cant figure out how it got itself in, and how to get itself out. I probably saved this hawk a lot of bodily damage, especially if I had tried to "scare" it out without "touching" it. Trust me on this.

Oh yeah, one more thing, said friend who tagged my photo with "hate the game, not the player" is a Massachusetts State Trooper.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks, but I aint waiting for a permit to arrive when I gots me a hawk that got into the chicken yard, killed one of my flock, and it cant figure out how it got itself in, and how to get itself out. I probably saved this hawk a lot of bodily damage, especially if I had tried to "scare" it out without "touching" it. Trust me on this.
You should never hold a bird by the wings, especially a panicked one. Fold the wings and hold like so:

And yes, I have worked with raptors both in college and in rehabilitation...

The Migatory Bird Treaty Act is a special federal law so a local or state LE would not be responsible and likely unaware.

U.S. Fish & Wildlife enforces it and there is only one law enforcement office to cover six NE states:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/le/chelsea/

Last edited:

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
OK, thanks.

BTW, has anyone ever told you that you're approach behind the keyboard is a little rough...I can think of a few better and nicer ways you could have told me how to handle this in a future incident...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
OK, thanks.

BTW, has anyone ever told you that you're approach behind the keyboard is a little rough...I can think of a few better and nicer ways you could have told me how to handle this in a future incident...
How exactly was it rough to note the regulation with no judgment in my first reply?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
All My Birds absolutely Hate being held upside down like that.
You cannot hold a raptor like a parrot especially untamed or without gauntlets (special thick leather gloves). Its easier to restrain against the body like that versus this (notice his unrestrained wing):

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Looks like I'm on the hook for chickens- my wife is all psyched up from getting a free coup on craigslist and there's No turning back. If we have to have these chickens, I have a few requirements:
1 quiet
2 relatively small
3 not foofy looking
4 likes people

Now we've done some research and have a couple "breeds" in mind but i think it would be fun to hear from a few of you with opinions on the subject. So, anyone want to scare me off of this or suggest a type of hen? We're going to do the moving chicken tractor thing with three hens.
I think it'd be fun to let them roam around, but we live sort of in the country and neighbor dogs roam all over and I really wouldn't enjoy having one killed in front of me. No rooster since even though I think they can be fun, the constant noise would have me killing the thing before the neighbors had a chance.
good luck choking chickens.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OK, thanks.

:rofl:

syadasti = rough behind the keyboard.

You should see him after 2 beers!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I haven't volunteered at the local (actually 65 mi. away) wildlife center in a few years, so the last wild bird I handled was from window strike 3 weeks ago. Pulled him out the space between the boards on a deck with my pinky. He came too, hovered, landed on my shoulder, and took a ten minute timeout before leaving:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
OK, thanks.

He's basically known to be an arrogant, humorless, elitist prick online. It's not just you.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I don't get it.

PS - I'm surprised your response wasn't "That doesn't make sense, because potato is not a number in which you can count to"
Syadasti would not call you a retard.
He would instead post a link for you to click on that would take you to a pie chart that would tell you exactly the severity of your retardation. Then he would tell you the proper way to hold a retard.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I literally almost shat myself reading that. Seriously. I had to fart and was holding it in since I'm at work, but I laughed so hard it forced that sumbitch out. Maybe I really am retarded.