Quantcast

Hey home espresso folks, read this

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Started doing that after seeing this:

Can't say I notice a huge difference in taste. But there is definitely much less mess around the grinder.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Started doing that after seeing this:

Can't say I notice a huge difference in taste. But there is definitely much less mess around the grinder.
Aren't you gumming your burrs?

edit: I had static problems with my first two grinders. The Breville grinder grinds directly in the filter cup. My no mess trick is to grind one cup twice and slight press in between.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Aren't you gumming your burrs?

edit: I had static problems with my first two grinders. The Breville grinder grinds directly in the filter cup. My no mess trick is to grind one cup twice and slight press in between.
are you re-grinding your grounds?! I always thought that was a no-no... a good way to dull your burrs.

I just cleaned my grinder, to have a look inside. Burrs are pristine, but they have some sort of coating that helps them deal with water. The only issue was a bit of oily residue built up on the anodized surfaces of the chute where a couple of beans hadn't fallen into the burrs. I think the last time I cleaned it was back in august. I was very satisfied with how clean it is.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I meant, grinding half the amount of beans, a slight tamp, and grinding second half. Less messy.
Ah, gotcha. I use a funnel and a WDT tool before tamping. The WDT has made a surprisingly big difference in the quality of my shots... after my fancy grinder, it probably is what made the single biggest difference to my shots.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I meant, grinding half the amount of beans, a slight tamp, and grinding second half. Less messy.
Great tip, thanks! I got a Breville Touch earlier this year and although it's nice to have the integrated grinder, it's annoying, messy, and wasteful how you lose some grounds every time. Should have thought of this sooner but didn't, probably because, you know, it's hard to think before coffee... :clapping:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Great tip, thanks! I got a Breville Touch earlier this year and although it's nice to have the integrated grinder, it's annoying, messy, and wasteful how you lose some grounds every time. Should have thought of this sooner but didn't, probably because, you know, it's hard to think before coffee... :clapping:
With the Breville (I got the 870XL) you select the One Cup option and do it twice. Just need to adjust the amount.

Need to investigate that WDT @slyfink is talking aboot. Although, we've been using basic beans recently to cut cost so probably not worth the effort.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With the Breville (I got the 870XL) you select the One Cup option and do it twice. Just need to adjust the amount.

Need to investigate that WDT @slyfink is talking aboot. Although, we've been using basic beans recently to cut cost so probably not worth the effort.
Lately I have been cutting good coffee with Dunkin Donuts beans which is surprisingly good and cheap, can't actually tell the difference from the good stuff. Actually I have been mostly drinking the cheap DD stuff. Now that I have been going back into the office and drinking the horrible office coffee, good coffee at home tastes great.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

It's so easy to do. Order acupuncture needles from amazon and stick them through a cork. Voilà.

It breaks up the clumps, and does a decent job distributing and fluffing the grounds. That way the water flows evenly through them, reducing the chances of channelling (which causes bitter and/or sour tastes).

My colleague with the most basic espresso setup (basic Baratza grinder and Breville Cafe Roma) found it made a huge difference.

For such a basic tool, it punches above its weight.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
It's so easy to do. Order acupuncture needles from amazon and stick them through a cork. Voilà.

It breaks up the clumps, and does a decent job distributing and fluffing the grounds. That way the water flows evenly through them, reducing the chances of channelling (which causes bitter and/or sour tastes).

My colleague with the most basic espresso setup (basic Baratza grinder and Breville Cafe Roma) found it made a huge difference.

For such a basic tool, it punches above its weight.
Merci! Will give it a "shot" ;)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Lately I have been cutting good coffee with Dunkin Donuts beans which is surprisingly good and cheap, can't actually tell the difference from the good stuff. Actually I have been mostly drinking the cheap DD stuff. Now that I have been going back into the office and drinking the horrible office coffee, good coffee at home tastes great.
We're far from beeing coffee geeks, but not sure about stooping that low. :D

We've been using this for a while.

1000006314.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We're far from beeing coffee geeks, but not sure about stooping that low. :D

We've been using this for a while.

View attachment 206002
There is a guy with a coffee based Youtube channel that I started watching to get Aeropress hints. He reviewed cheap grocery store coffee and gave the OG Dunkin Donuts beans the best score. So I tried it and it is pretty damn good, the flavor is excellent but it does miss on a certain level of complexity. Blend it with good beans and it has good flavor and complexity. But as I am not usually sipping and savoring just regular old good flavor works for me.