Quantcast

hey kidwoo..

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you are not buried in that avalanche in your tidey whities n tahoe i hope....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Based on the report I just read it's hard to tell if it was Ski Patrol, resorters or side-country. Definitely scary, I have started skiing with my beacon at all times that I'm not on 100% groomed runs. New snow can slide, especially if it's heavier than what it's sitting on and there are some hoar layers to provide lubrication. New snow often wind-slabs over a ridge with any kind of significant wind, which is one of the greatest avy dangers, so if you are on the lee side it can get real tricky real fast.

Just checked https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory yep, wind drifted snow on N aspects.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So... Now I need a fucking beacon of I decide to go off groomer? Hmm.. :think:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Based on the report I just read it's hard to tell if it was Ski Patrol, resorters or side-country. Definitely scary, I have started skiing with my beacon at all times that I'm not on 100% groomed runs. New snow can slide, especially if it's heavier than what it's sitting on and there are some hoar layers to provide lubrication. New snow often wind-slabs over a ridge with any kind of significant wind, which is one of the greatest avy dangers, so if you are on the lee side it can get real tricky real fast.

Just checked https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory yep, wind drifted snow on N aspects.
Much more information now. Appears like maybe wind slab, although storm slab down lower on slopes that had a rain crust event caused a persistent weak layer that a lot of observers have been triggering with tests. It seems like the persistent weak layer has been pretty resistant to slide, but it may just be finding the right slope and conditions to trigger. Saw the helicopter overfly and there appeared to be several avalanches on that side, the first I saw looked to be decent size and was just below a rock band.

But yeah, when you take a few Avy classes and start assessing the hazards yourself, you see why you want a beacon for any soft snow, whether it's at a resort or not.