Quantcast

hey Los Angeles monkeys!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so, there's a chance I might be moving out that way for a job in the near future. (Mattel in El Segundo, possibly as early as June). Right now I'm tentatively scheduled for an on-site interview late next week. So I'm hoping that any locals could shed some light on the area... riding/trails (not expecting much in the immediate area), what parts of town to avoid, the good spots, etc. Who's where? Noteworthy bars, eateries, anything of interest.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
No shortage of places to ride year round.
North you've got the Santa Monica mountains
South there's stuff in Laguna and San Juan Cap.
Inland you've got Mt Wilson and Mt Baldy
Then there's San Diego and Santa Barbara a little farther away.
Enjoy and good luck.

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
it's been around a bazillion years since i've been to ridemonkey...i was a pinkbike/mtbr guy back in the day and did the ridemonkey thing for a short while before i got out

so here i am...dusting off my bike and riding more (when work permits) - so what is the street scene looking like in LA - it sucks riding with the kid bmx'rs because they tend to get into more "trouble" than i like to be around

i'm not what i used to be but i like a small stair gap as much as anyone else

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
so, there's a chance I might be moving out that way for a job in the near future. (Mattel in El Segundo, possibly as early as June). Right now I'm tentatively scheduled for an on-site interview late next week. So I'm hoping that any locals could shed some light on the area... riding/trails (not expecting much in the immediate area), what parts of town to avoid, the good spots, etc. Who's where? Noteworthy bars, eateries, anything of interest.

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread up there...

santa monica is great...so is the the El Segundo area - it's a clean safe area - one of the nice areas or LA for sure (i know an El Segundo Police Officer that lives near Mattel - he loves the area)

Lobster at the pier in SM is a a nice place for food...not cheap but very good, also just up the way in Malibu is The Cove - very cool place for food as well

3rd St Promenade in SM is annoying (a lot of people) but it has a lot of what you need...also Houstons is a nice steak house (modern - not rustic) at Wilshire and 2nd i believe

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
El Segundo is close to Manhattan Beach, which has some really nice scenery (and it's the beach). From there you can go north to West LA south to Palos Verdes (Del Cerro), or northeast to Mount Wilson. There are a lot of other places as well, many spots in Orange County as mentioned above. If you live by the beach you'll always have plenty of cool bars and restaruants to go to, but traffic will always be the limiting factor once you get past the extremely high cost of living. But hey, at least you won't get exposed to snow out here unless you want to.:spam:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's mine...except i have a front brake now

what was that about not hijacking threads? :disgust1: just a reminder - i ain't bothered by it :thumb: nice whip too!

yea I used to do more street than currently, still got the whip just not the time. I ride pretty much everything. DH mostly, been getting back into xc as of late. I also got my fixie for getting around town, and over the winter I got more into BMX and started riding pools. Any DH racing in the area? There's a ton here on the east coast, just gotta drive for it (usually 3-4hrs) so I have no problem traveling for it - just gotta find it.

and westcoasthucker, i'll def get in touch w/ you once things seem more certain.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i grew up in the south bay (Torrance, near El Segundo) and i know what it was like, but i haven't been hanging out there in a bunch of years. i still have friends and family down there. i bet not much has changed, so i could give you a rundown on the area. shoot me a pm if you would like my phone # and we can chat about places to hang.

El Segundo doesn't have much in the immediate area. however, you can hop down to San Diego and OC for some good riding. you can head north (about 15-30 miles depending on the trail) and get to some good single track. i think i know where WCH is thinking and those are fine spots to ride.

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
what was that about not hijacking threads? :disgust1: just a reminder - i ain't bothered by it :thumb: nice whip too!
:poster_oops:

yea I used to do more street than currently, still got the whip just not the time. I ride pretty much everything. DH mostly, been getting back into xc as of late. I also got my fixie for getting around town, and over the winter I got more into BMX and started riding pools. Any DH racing in the area? There's a ton here on the east coast, just gotta drive for it (usually 3-4hrs) so I have no problem traveling for it - just gotta find it.

and westcoasthucker, i'll def get in touch w/ you once things seem more certain.
when you get into the area look me up...i'm sure there is some urban riding to be found over there

most trail riding is gonna be outside of the city...OC/San Diego is the hotspot but you are looking at a few hours of driving if there is any traffic at all

there are one or two small trails around...family friendly type deals and and there are a ton of canyon hills if you are into road bikes/climbing ( :crazy: )...my neighbor is all into that roadie climbing stuff

also if you get all crazy...Moab/Sedona is only a days drive away or so

the urban thing is spread out...good riding spots are farther from each other, but there is always something to be found

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
for dh racing, fontucky is about 1.5 hours from el segundo. that is the closest dh racing i know of. there is some stuff down in san diego, but that is a 2 to 4 hour drive depending on traffic.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
for dh hucking, fontucky is about 1.5 hours from el segundo. that is the closest slopestyling i know of. there is some stuff down in san diego, but that is a 12 to 24 hour drive depending on traffic.
Nope, all dh trails in SD have been closed. We're all shaving our legs as we speak and put on 80mm forks. We're set.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for dh racing, fontucky is about 1.5 hours from el segundo. that is the closest dh racing i know of. there is some stuff down in san diego, but that is a 2 to 4 hour drive depending on traffic.
does fontucky have a regular series? i have no problem driving upwards of 4~5 hours for a race. Just trying to figure out how often there's racing (fontucky and elsewhere)

and ozzer, while i do appreciate your sarcastic jackassery, i'm actually trying to gather some legit information here :nerd:

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
and ozzer, while i do appreciate your sarcastic jackassery, i'm actually trying to gather some legit information here :nerd:
Well, frigging send PMs. Not all legit info can be discussed on public forums. I'm an ass, not a focking jackass since I don't necessarily has or intend to jack anyone. When you get to SD, drop a PM and we'll show you around.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
You will like that area. I myself moved there in '85. Loved it as I spent the best 17 years of my life living in Manhattan Beach.
Bars, just move to Hermosa Beach so you don't have to drink and drive. There's all kinds of places in the South Bay but Hermosa is the biggest party town.
Trails, trust me a ride down on the strand is the best eye candy in the world. You will enjoy that fo sho. As far as dirt trails, well the little local spot up in PV is not to bad for a quick after work session. Other then that you can drive about 1 hour and hit all kinds of stuff. Like Ozzer says, let us know when you get here.

Another local site is http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/index.php

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Oh, what parts of town to avoid. Due east is Lenox and north east is Inglewood. You will want to stay outta there.
Smell Sugundo is very nice other then right next to LAX and Chevron. Anyplace south of there is killer. South east is Hawthorne and Lawndale. Not the very best but with the cost of housing these days you might end up there.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
cool. you'll be a 1hour a 40min from me.

so either way, you'll atleast come out to see what the job could be like?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cool. you'll be a 1hour a 40min from me.

so either way, you'll atleast come out to see what the job could be like?
i was there yesterday. i'm SUPER jet lagged. this is me during a layover in vegas (i was freaking DEAD - flew out of Logan at 8:19 EST, got to LA 1:45 PST, left vegas 2:30 PST had an hour and a half in vegas then delays, finally back at Logan 2am EST):

its looking pretty good that i'm gonna get an offer.

and guys, in terms of racing - how frequent is it? could i do it every weekend within a 4~6 hr drive? because that's what i've got here on the EC and i'm not sure how hard its gonna be to convince myself to leave it (i love racing, a LOT).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Racing will be letdown bro.

You've got the winter series in Fontana
Keyesville
Woodward
Firestone
SO
Ensenada urban stuff in the winter
TWU
Parkfield in the fall

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
if racing is part of the move. don't come. east coast riding is better.
I'll second that. :(

On the flip side, you can ride all year round, you never have to do yardwork or shovel your driveway, and there is no such thing as "humidity" here in the manner that we know it (like, when ink runs on the page).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On the flip side, you can ride all year round.

yea this is the one thing I was taking into account in terms of riding. Sigh... decisions decisions. I should be hearing more info today. I was out last monday for the interview and I freakin nailed it. Everyone loved me. Head of HR flat out told me I'm the most qualified.