Quantcast

Hey Motorcycle mechanic Monkeys

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hey looking for a good additive I can put in the bike that will help with the clutch chatter. Its not bad, it has a ton of grab, it just chatters from time to time. Curious is there is an additive, or a better oil to be using for this particular situation. Yes I have the right type of oil, yes its full, yes its changed regularly.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated

05 honda shadow aero if it matters

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey looking for a good additive I can put in the bike that will help with the clutch chatter. Its not bad, it has a ton of grab, it just chatters from time to time. Curious is there is an additive, or a better oil to be using for this particular situation. Yes I have the right type of oil, yes its full, yes its changed regularly.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated

05 honda shadow aero if it matters
Might just try a different type of oil, are you running synthetic? Is there a viscosity range you can use, if yes I'd try a heavier visco.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Don't pull in the clutch.

Ride next to an open cover Ducati, you won't even think about your clutch noise anymore.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I used to run some cheap $5 a quart oil in my thumper and had some chatter issues, along with rough shifts under the slightest loads. Now I'm using some Synthetic Maxima oil and it works great. Chatter gone, shifting improved. It's been awhile since I looked at the bottle, and the old stuff is long gone, but I don't think I changed the viscocity any.

Hope that helps, this was in a dirt bike btw.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Hmmmm, maybe I should be more clear.

Short of replacing the clutch....I shift at the proper rpm, been riding as long as I can remember, been through more than a few courses for begginer and advanced.

Its not noisy, it chatters when taking off. Nothing when shifting, its great, just the occasional chatter upon take off.

By the way, Only times I use the clutch.... taking off, downshifting a couple at a time, or when I have a passenger.

On the synthetic note...... thats when it started the chatter to begin with, 10w40 is the recomended for my bike, like most bikes, you can run most any weight as long as it is not an energy saving blend< wet clutches dont like Moly> Currently has the Honda oil in it like it had from the factory.

GFF, is the royal purple working better in teh bikes than it does in cars? Man that **** just gets plain filthy in cars, havent tried it in a bike yet.... Im intrigued.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
sorry if i came across like an a** not the intention, springs may have lost their spring. ill see what my brother in law has to say, he is a honda factory mechanic, no bs!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
sorry if i came across like an a** not the intention, springs may have lost their spring. ill see what my brother in law has to say, he is a honda factory mechanic, no bs!!
Yeah I am waiting for the moto industry to catch up on clutch design. Wish motos would be getting to single diaphram springs instead of eight plus single springs......

Thats probably it right there, I wasnt thinking about individuall spring tensions till you mentioned it. Just sucks because the clutch has soo much grab to it, there is no reason other than that to take it apart.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah I am waiting for the moto industry to catch up on clutch design. Wish motos would be getting to single diaphram springs instead of eight plus single springs......
BMW has that on a couple bikes, really easy to smoke that design.

You don't slip a car clutch as much as a motorcycle.

BTW if it is slipping after a change to syn. it will not go away till you replace the fiber plates.

Black bottle of Honda engine oil is the best choice.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
BMW has that on a couple bikes, really easy to smoke that design.

You don't slip a car clutch as much as a motorcycle.

BTW if it is slipping after a change to syn. it will not go away till you replace the fiber plates.

Black bottle of Honda engine oil is the best choice.
Not slipping..... chattering....If it was slipping, I oulw have already gotten a clutch.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A lot of guys I ride off-road with swear by using the Amsoil stuff in the gearboxes on their 4-strokes. Say it helps with clutch squeal on certain bikes.

I would still pop open the clutch and have a look around. It might not be worn but that could be an impacted clutch basket or messed up springs or something.