Quantcast

Hey mountain bike guys, I have a truck question

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So... my Ranger has been sitting in the driveway for like, forever. Needs a new clutch. We have another car so I haven't needed to fix the truck until now.

It is also WAY overdue for shocks. 98k miles on the original set.

So... what's a good shock for a 2003 Ford Ranger? Standard cab, RWD. I'd like something slightly better than stock, but not ridiculous. This is for daily road driving with occasional heavy loads. Not much dirt road stuff.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Bilstien 5100 series will be better than stock, 6100 series will be a lot better than stock and 7100s are overkill. I'd spring for the 6100s myself, that's what come on the TRD Tacomas from the factory, and they'll really change the way your Ranger rides on windy mountain roads.

Oh, and for the clutch, if you have to bleed it, get the front of your truck as high as possible. They're a PITA to bleed, but jack the front up 18" and the bubbles move, makes it a 5 minute job.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Save your money, unless you are doing something crazy with it, go with a Monroe sensa-track..... Most places you pick that up will also have a rebate for a buy three get one free, etc etc, Monroe always runs taht special in October, and releases more rebates through out the year... Bilsteins are nice and all but unless needed why spend the cash when something else already does better than the OE

If you want a little tougher than go with the reflex from monroe... Did I mention they are lifetime warranty so you will never pay for them again?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Save your money, unless you are doing something crazy with it, go with a Monroe sensa-track..... Most places you pick that up will also have a rebate for a buy three get one free, etc etc, Monroe always runs taht special in October, and releases more rebates through out the year... Bilsteins are nice and all but unless needed why spend the cash when something else already does better than the OE
i agree.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I would go with Napa Shocks most of the time they are the same as their competitors but just re-branded and they offer rebates and stand by there product also offer levels for different budgets. For a daily driver that is what I would go with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

If you want a little tougher than go with the reflex from monroe... Did I mention they are lifetime warranty so you will never pay for them again?
Monroe
Bilstein

Dude are you insane? Buying shocks named after a 80's sitcom character gets you way less street cred than one named after a New Jersey investment banker.