Quantcast

Hey NC Riders, say goodbye to your beloved National Forests...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I got this from the political debate forum. Apparently El Presidente is planning on selling off these bits of Natl. Forest to help pay for rural schools.

Here are the NC Plots planned to be up for sale:

http://www.fs.fed.us/land/staff/spd.html#Northcarolina

Nice big chunks of Pisgah in there. Will probably be developed or logged.

Pretty great huh?:mad:
Im not one to take up causes, but this is ****ing bullsh**.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
this is old news.
and i think i remember reading or hearing that it's not going to happen.
he may be the most powerfull man in the world.
but a bad idea, even coming from him, will never see the light of day.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
It definately looks like a large tract on the Tennessee side is going to be lost. The only good thing is that the buyers are looking to build a ski resort. If this happens it will be the highest ski resort in the east and be the largest vertical. While I like the existing ski resorts I will be opposing this land sell for there are many trails already there!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
dhbuilder said:
i remember reading or hearing that it's not going to happen.
he may be the most powerfull man in the world.
but a bad idea, even coming from him, will never see the light of day.
Cough cough... Iraq :nopity:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
They're tricky about it too. They are selling parcels of Pisgah in RURAL counties. They are trying to take 3 massive chunks in McDowell County, NC because the population there is so small that they won't make much noise and the people in the Asheville area won't care about it.

Go to the website of the Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Foundation and there is info on how to prevent this sale.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
ztlh13 said:
It definately looks like a large tract on the Tennessee side is going to be lost. The only good thing is that the buyers are looking to build a ski resort. If this happens it will be the highest ski resort in the east and be the largest vertical. While I like the existing ski resorts I will be opposing this land sell for there are many trails already there!
ski resort !:)

I like to ski ! Good news ....
Super-G on tv is the bomb.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
bigdrop05 said:
ski resort !:)

I like to ski ! Good news ....
Super-G on tv is the bomb.
what? you're kidding right? you'd give up a hunk of National Forest Land to get one more short seasoned, ice covered, little used, poorly run and over run ski resort?

No way. Every ski resort we have sucks because our weather wasn't intended for good skiing. And no way am I going to let the government sell my old growth forests and trails to a bunch of elite multi-million dollar condos that will gut the landscape and make a mountain look like a clear cut with Monopoly pieces stuck on it.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Well, if you put it that way. You're right....
Really Colorado is the place for skiing,Utah,etc....
I make about maybe 3 turns at Gatlinburg on my 190cm Rossies.