Quantcast

hey networking guys... how to get my foot in the door

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm in pretty desperate need of a career change. I graduated from college about 5 years ago with a degree in Computer Information Systems. I got a job doing website development and general IT stuff - I'm the only tech guy in my office, so if it plugs into the wall, I'm responsible for it.

Anyways... it's a total deadend job, and I've ridden it as long as I care to. I'd like to get into networking, which is where I thought this job would lead me. I have some basic experience and world knowledge, but nothing that would make my resume stand out. I'm thinking about getting a certification or two that would get me noticed in a pile of resumes. If I can get an interview, I think I'd have a pretty good chance... but I don't have much formal substance to put on my resume at this point.

What certs should I go for to get started? I'm thinking about one or two MCSE tests and CCNA. Then, once I get a job, I'll do whatever that jobs needs to continue growing.

Any tips would be appreciated.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Get the certs, then get in line behind the rest of us trying to get jobs. :p
Yea... there's not not many openings right now for networking guys... seems the market is saturated with us. That's part of the problem - I don't want to spend the time/money on getting certified just to move to another entry-level dead end job that doesn't pay.

Maybe I'll just go work construction for a year or two and re-evaluate :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tenchiro
or move to India...
LOL!!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my opinion: all of IT sucks. this includes networking. programming is the only way to go. or a different field...

http://www.competitive.com/TB8+BL.asp?SiteAreaID=637#AbsoluteLink4

APPLICATION DEVELOPERS / SUPPORT ENGINEERS
We currently have two openings for Application Developers with solid software engineering skills who enjoy working as part of a close-knit team, desire using an array of technologies daily, and who consider problem solving fun and challenging. Although each day will be different, the work will include:

• Adding new features to applications and managing small development projects
• Diagnosing and fixing problems with application code and databases
• Improving the performance, availability, and security of applications
• Maintaining and enhancing application management tools and processes

In addition to a BS degree or equivalent (Microsoft certifications always a plus), the successful applicant will:

• Demonstrate knowledge of application development technologies including .Net,
Windows, IIS, and SQL Server
• Thrive in an environment requiring continuous learning
• Prefer working in a disciplined, problem-solving mode
• Enjoy interacting with customers on a regular basis

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
I agree 100%. Get into something else.
Agreed again! Seriously the way things are going it's not lookin good. I'm actually getting outa networking/IT... gonna be a firefighter!

Schools are still telling everyone computer jobs are the way to go! BS! The market is already flooded with overqualified people, and they want to add more?

Seriously man, if you do happen to get in, the hours can suck and be never ending and even when you leave you are still working cause you have to work on new certs... I hate it, when I'm outa work I'm outa work, not still needing to teach myself more so some prissy college boy with no experience and being clueless can take my job which I know better than anyone.

RUN RUN RUN while you still can.. get FAR FAR away! (India is far right?;) )