Quantcast

"Hey newb, do a search!"

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
For those of you who have appointed yourselves forum police: tone it down. There is no reason why you need to be a dick about it.

For the newbs that are breaking the rules: I don't care if you don't like the forum police and their BS - rise above it or find another site for your rants.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bhahahahahahah. i need to start a new thread about hayes brakes or something.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
formerly poobah said:
hey oldbs shut up with the new b hing ur not cool, ur just computer seated losers.... go ride a bike
wow. i'm getting old, and i'm only 22.

here's my translation attempt:

hey oldbs --> hey old people?
shut up with the new b hing --> ahhh just got it: shut up with the newbie thing, missin' a few letters there
ur not cool, ur just computer seated losers --> pretty clear here. "computer-seated losers" heh. interesting that a hyphenated (well, it should have been) phrase would come to mind instead of "losers sitting in front of their computers" or something like that
go ride a bike --> finally, something that makes sense

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I think, if you want to tell someone to do a search, you should do it for them. Sometimes it's hard, you know a thread exists and you know the exact keywords to use to find it, whereas someone may have searched over and over for said thread, and can't find it. Also, by searching for someone, you're helping everyone out, it's better to lend a hand and give someone a bit of guidance than it is to flame them with no purpose at all. If you don't want to search for them, don't reply. It goes along my lines of thinking that if you're going to post, it should be of some use to someone, and not just another waste of electrons.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
formerly poobah said:
hey oldbs shut up with the new b hing ur not cool, ur just computer seated losers.... go ride a bike
You can cry about it if you want to...

I always found the "shut up and go ride" comment to be very ironic... Someone who's sitting in front of their computer, taking the time to post in an internet forum, is telling other people to go ride.. It's a beautiful thing! :rolleyes:

As far as the search thing goes, I think often people post a link if there's one specific thread about a subject that's asked about. However, too often people post things like, "Does anyone have Evil Imperial pics?!" or "What's better, Hayes or Hopes?" - there have been dozens of threads about those subjects.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Toshi said:
wow. i'm getting old, and i'm only 22.

oldbs must be oldboys ;)

Is "American newb dictionary for bicycle forums" in stock on amazon? I'm gonna need it :p

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
go ride a bike
yeh thats really quite funny and ironic. i bet you most of the people that are telling you to go do a search ride there bikes more than you do and are much better riders than you (transend, acadian, toshi, ridemonkey) yeh just listen and suck it up you big baby were just trying to help you so people dont hate you. and why is it that no one will accept a little bit of criticism when it is needed. its okay not the end of the world dude

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
formerly poobah said:
You are a fool, hes is trying to get people to stop being ass holes to newbs. You need to tone it down and probably even thank him for this thread.

O and thanks for posting this thread

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
TheMontashu said:
You are a fool, hes is trying to get people to stop being ass holes to newbs. You need to tone it down and probably even thank him for this thread.

O and thanks for posting this thread
If the "newbs" stop acting like a$$holes (case in point, this guy you replied to) there wouldn't be a problem to begin with.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This topic has been covered PLENTY of times already. Why do we have to rehash it?

:)

MD (I even used a smiley, against my general inclinations...)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Toshi said:

shut up with the new b hing --> ahhh just got it: shut up with the newbie thing, missin' a few letters there
No no no. It's old-b and new-b. Get it? Oldbie and newbie? I must have the idiot gene somewhere in me. :p

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Ridemonkey said:
For those of you who have appointed yourselves forum police: tone it down. There is no reason why you need to be a dick about it.
Transcend said:
does anyone have any idea what this moron is saying?
Unfortunatly you appear to be one of the main offenders. I don't notice many bash fests where you are not being a dick. Can't you go troll somewhere else? This forum used to be a lot better when new users where just kindly told what they where doing wrong.

Instead now we get threads like this.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97982

We end up with stupid posts turning into 30 post long bashfests where the new user either stupidly flames back and gets baned or never visits the forum again.
You manage to both push away new users and push their bad posts to the top of the forum displacing legitimate intresting threads. As someone who has read this forum for quite a long time can all the bashers just shut up you are making the forum less enjoyable to read.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
D_D said:
Unfortunatly you appear to be one of the main offenders. I don't notice many bash fests where you are not being a dick. Can't you go troll somewhere else?
Fortunately, I do not care about your opinion. And no, I can't.

Don't blame me that, all of a sudden, people are generally stupid.

You yourself have been here long enough to know that the same questions get asked on order 10 times a week. There is a large search link at the top of every page, it isn't exactly brain surgery to learn how to use it.

For the most part the same idiots ask the same type of questions over and over, and completely disregard the advice they are given.

That or we get nice literate posts such as the following because people do not want to take 30 seconds to make things legible. I can bear typos, i make many myself, but then the following is one HUGE typo.

"my 1st DH and i would like to know if eney one has eney advice

there is also a Gout section and i heard there hard so if eney one know wtf there all about tell me"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
lol, where is that? i want that in my next sig quote...
One of the whiny people posted that. Just do a search for the montashu and you will find that little gem. :rolleyes:

Yet he complains about us, maybe he should take 5 more seconds and make his posts make sense and we wouldn't complain.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
binary visions said:
You can cry about it if you want to...

I always found the "shut up and go ride" comment to be very ironic... Someone who's sitting in front of their computer, taking the time to post in an internet forum, is telling other people to go ride.. It's a beautiful thing! :rolleyes:

QUOTE]
yo man whens the last time you rode your bike ??
last time i checked it was a coat rack and whiter than the reamaining snow on drummer...tsktsk :nope:
hence we as in you and i should ride this later this week cause its gonna snow again

Jan 29, 2005
Phoenix,arizona
hey is there a chat site for bikers?just checking.I hate computers and mine is no exception.I am not that good at figuring out what it wants me to ask so it will tell me what I want to know .you know.lol