Quantcast

Hey Photo Monkeys........

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Are there any good camera buy/sell places around? I like the feel and setup of the RM buy/sell, and wondering if that exists in the camera world.

I'm looking for a Canon or Sigma 70-200 F2.8. Probably Sigma, because that will save me LOTS of money that I can put toward my 5D :D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
BigMike said:
Are there any good camera buy/sell places around? I like the feel and setup of the RM buy/sell, and wondering if that exists in the camera world.

I'm looking for a Canon or Sigma 70-200 F2.8. Probably Sigma, because that will save me LOTS of money that I can put toward my 5D :D
Ebay can get pretty sketchy, but the Sportsshooter.com classifieds have some good deals now and again. RobGalbraith.com, FredMirranda.com and Photographyreveiw are all hit or miss. People tend to keep gear around so the used market isn't near what you'd think it is. Get a 5D for sure it is a killer camera.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
fredmiranda.com has a good buy & sell forum.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to save a lot of money. Lenses retain a ton of their value. It's unbelievable, I'm not sure I've ever seen a consumer product that retains as much value as lenses do.

The plus side is that you can often buy a lens, use it for a while, and sell it for exactly (or more than) what you paid for it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
FM is a really good private B/S forum. The problem is it's about as slow as molasses in January if you decide to do a search. As other have said, unless you are lookinbg at REALLY high end lenses ($4000+), you won't be looking at more than 100-150 savings.

It is worth it to pay the extra bucks and get a warranty.

KEH is probably the best commercial used site, but their inventory varies wildly from week to week.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Transcend said:
FM is a really good private B/S forum. The problem is it's about as slow as molasses in January if you decide to do a search. As other have said, unless you are lookinbg at REALLY high end lenses ($4000+), you won't be looking at more than 100-150 savings.

It is worth it to pay the extra bucks and get a warranty.

KEH is probably the best commercial used site, but their inventory varies wildly from week to week.

I knew that glass reatained its value, but i didnt know it retained THAT much value!

Why can't bikes and cars be like that? :D