Quantcast

Hey Ski Bikers

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Any of you on the slopes yet? Hows the builds going?
Here is an update on yesterdays Mt. Hood adventure:cool:
We got 4 runs in on the Alpine Trail thats 22 miles of downhill ski-bike bliss. With 12,000 + vertical feet of drop.:dancing:
There is a 44 inch base at the bottom and much much more 3,000 plus vertical feet up the hill at Timberline. but it hadn't given us any new snow in over a week. With warm afternoon temps and freezing nights we hit the trail at dawn and on the first run the snow was a solid sheet of ICE it was so friggen fast and about impossible to control your speed, dragging your feet was useless as your feet slid almost as well as your ski's. So off we go bombing down the mountain virtually out of control trying to tail whip the bike and use the rear edges as a braking device, my rear ski edges slipped twice on the ice and needless to say down I went. This kind of snow condition and a steep vertical drop can be pretty scary..

I almost got a newby up on one of my bikes yesterday prob. a good thing he didn't make it nothing like scaring the piss out of someone on their first ski-bike experience. He wouldn't have had any worries about getting lost on the second run just follow your own piss trail:D

By the second run the top layer of ice had pretty much broken up and the trail was rippable and still extremely fast, man that second run was fun.
With each run after progressively getting a little slower each time. By the 4th run the short fairly flat section at the bottom was getting pretty slow and we was all ready to call it a day.

All and all we had a great day on the mountain with nothing broken (bikes or bodily) But sorry guys I forgot the camera at home so there is no pics to show

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
[this thread is worthless w/o pics]

That sounds so fun. I have to come skibike with you on that run.

The build
>the fork should come any time now
>i looking at some bars
>and stems
>i'm going to order the winter x mounts, then make aluminum or rubber spacers. Aluminum would be very easy; just by some square tubing and cut crosssection. I could find some rubber block and drill holes in them. Rubber might even do another thing in addition to lifting; it could take the edge off hard ice bumps.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
It was def. a blast and again I am sorry the camera got forgotten (my bad)

And mtnbrider get your bike together and any time you want to plan a trip north I would be glad to take you up...besides the Mt. Hood back country we have lift assisted groomed runs and terrain parks at Mt Baker and Snoqualmie Pass within driving distance......

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Cool.

I think aluminum riser on the ski, then a piece of ruber between the both peices of aluminum. I might have them anodized by a friend.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Haven't been up yet, but hopefully I can make a couple'a trips up over winter break. I need to get my edges sharpened and the boards waxed before I go.

Sounds like you had a blast. You need to try to make a century sometime -- got dang close with what? 88 miles? Damn, that sounds friggin' awesome.

edit: here's some pictures we took last year just tooling around in the snow. I'll have to take some pictures on the big mountain this year.

http://community.webshots.com/album/132977263sHMvrW

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah, it's definitely not my ideal choice of music, but I got tired looking for something and figured it worked well enough with the footage.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I'm out in Colorado -- unfortunately, most of those aren't me, so you won't be seeing me do anything like that -- the guys pulling 3's and backflips are up in Canada. You're still welcome to come down here and ride though!

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Bldr_DH said:
I'm out in Colorado -- unfortunately, most of those aren't me -- the guys pulling 3's and backflips are up in Canada. You're still welcome to come down here and ride though!

I realized that as I was typeing that:stupid: You guys have some great ski-bike resorts out there :thumb: I would love to come out sometime and hook up with you. I have Kids in Montana as well but haven't got the ski bike back there...

But its pretty friggen cool here as well :love: :love:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
deweydude said:
I realized that as I was typeing that:stupid: You guys have some great ski-bike resorts out there :thumb: I would love to come out sometime and hook up with you. I have Kids in Montana as well but haven't got the ski bike back there...

But its pretty friggen cool here as well :love: :love:

Where in Montana do you have kids? Some resorts allow ski bikes.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Cool video! I'm thinking about getting snowboard snowskates to switch out with the skis to experiment with. I might like the boards better for a certain terrain.