Quantcast

Hey smelly, what's on bottle tonight?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
The first time I had vigneronne was at my local bar. The bartender knew I was getting into "weird" beers (eg EKU 28, Duchesse de Bourgogne), so he uncorked a bottle and told me to give it a try. The short description is that it's a lambic brewed with Italian muscat grapes.
My initial impression was homebrew gone bad- it's sour and dry (think sour patch kids minus the sugar) with a subtle sweetness. I put the glass aside and returned to it, slightly intrigued, about 20 minutes later.
In a short time, vigneronne (and geuze) have become among my favorites; everything else seems kind of bland and uneventful. Along with its sour dryness, the taste just won't leave your mouth. No head, lots of sediment, hazy orange, and well worth a try.

Attachments

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Cantillon is great stuff. Some of the more mild guezes taste a lot like champagne.

I don't think I've had that particular one though...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
silver- never thought of it that way, but you're spot on. I haven't had the Cantillon geuze in awhile and have had a few vigneronnes recently, so I kinda forget the differences, but they're similar. I believe vigneronne is a kind of geuze?

Tonight's another great one- Left Hand Brewing Co. Milk stout. I've never been much of a stout or porter drinker, but have enjoyed a few recently. Milk stout is brewed with lactose, and the lactose gives it this very subtle, milk flavor that cuts the roasted coffee burn to something silky. Without the lactose, this beer would be like putting coffee rinds in a teabag and chewing on it. Instead, it's smooth, drinkable (the kind of beer you want to get a good, big sip of), and evenly bodied but retains a uniquness akin to some weird, awkward sludge. It's in the sweet stout catagory, but when I think sweet stout, I think Young's double chocolate and Sam Smith's oatmeal stout (both of which are delish when poured over vanilla ice cream).

My LBS (local beer store) just started carrying these guys, so I'm curious to try out more. Anyone had other Left Hand beers?